Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Dwight McNeil

Just now, Babylon said:

Unless you flood the box or are making short sharp “crosses” or passes back across the box like a Man City, a cross very often ends up with the ball being given away.

No agreed, does somewhat limit a player who has a wand of a left foot.

FWIW, I think he's a great prospect.

Just now, Babylon said:

Unless you flood the box or are making short sharp “crosses” or passes back across the box like a Man City, a cross very often ends up with the ball being given away.

I think this is spot on and the reason we end up with having most of the ball and not creating any chances, Not possession for  possession sake but being scared to give the ball away.

14 minutes ago, Manini said:

Devils advocate: Could you not say he’s made his name doing that because Burnley have Chris Wood? It wouldn’t make much sense for him to slot balls through the channel when you’ve got a big 6ft plus bastard up front who’s good in the air. Just because he doesn’t have the option to do what we need now doesn’t mean he hasn’t got the ability to. 

I have no horse in this race either way by the way I’m pretty apathetic about this as a signing in general. 

Quite possibly yeah, but I don't think we can afford to get our winger signing wrong. I'd much rather we signed someone based on what we actually know they can do, not what we think they might be able to do if we played them out of position and in a totally different style. We want a right winger who can create and score goals in a possession system - why buy a left winger who scored 2 goals last season and creates most of his chances through crosses from wide and set pieces?

I don't mind him as a player, he certainly looks a talent, I just don't think his profile remotely fits what we're looking for and consequently I'd be pretty surprised if we couldn't find a more suitable target, especially given the money he'd presumably cost. Ultimately though, if our scouts and analysts think he's the one then who am I to argue?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, SmuelMartin said:

Was speaking to a Burnley fan last night about him playing CAM, as that's where he started as a youth player. He just said he was too one-footed. 

I like him out wide but not sure he fits our system, takes me back to Everton away, Albrighton completing 1 out of 10 cross attempts.

Never stopped the likes of Mesut Ozil.

3 minutes ago, SmuelMartin said:

Best part about signing McNeil would be that SFE called it absolutely ages ago 😂

Didn't you say a few months back that you were going to get SFE on one of your podcasts?

What happened to that? It would be comedy gold to have a listen and try and work out what goes on inside his head.

2 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Didn't you say a few months back that you were going to get SFE on one of your podcasts?

What happened to that? It would be comedy gold to have a listen and try and work out what goes on inside his head.

First episode teething issues meant I had to take it down unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Does anyone think if Burnley are genuinely wanting £30-40m for Tarkowski then they'll want some crazy amount of money like £50m for McNeil lol

According to their fans they need the cash. Could want less. 

4 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Does anyone think if Burnley are genuinely wanting £30-40m for Tarkowski then they'll want some crazy amount of money like £50m for McNeil lol

Yep completely - hence why I cant see this at all and the reports of what they want for tarkowski are somewhat mixed shall we say - I'd imagine its more than 30m given they were asking for way more last year.

Edited by Abrasive fox
  • Like 1

Since he was spotted in Leicester earlier today he has seen career development by becoming a Foxestalk scapegoat.

I would like to see us buy more pace but maybe that's down the line in terms  of squad evolution.  But this player could be part of the evolution.  He is one of the county's top young players; we need some home grown.  Buying him does not mean we cannot strengthen elsewhere.

If he arrives, he may well be our top young player.  Barnes could play more centrally or on the right.

• Like 1

Given this is likely to be our one chance in Europe for the next however many years, I'd kind of prefer to spend the money on a more known quantity - especially given what Burnley are likely to ask. A proper winger who fits how Brendan wants to play and can slot in now, rather than faffing about trying to make him change. 

IE - a wide man who can dribble and get past a defender then play into the box. Either with a run, a pass or a cross. 3-4 times a game, ideally. 

I'd rather buy that and get a cheaper defender. 

7 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Burnley has 2 assets they can sell

Tarkowski

mcneil 

Burnley need cash - Leicester know this 

price will drop 

re Pope there no market for him currently 

Pope will only be sold when there's white smoke coming out of the Turf Moor chimney 😂

• Like 1