Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On Loan 2020/21

Tonights Games

Championship:

Matty James - starting for Barnsley vs Preston

Josh Knight - starting for Wycombe vs Bournemouth

League One:

Sam Hughes - starting for Burton vs Ipswich

Darnell Johnson - starting for Wigan vs Rochdale

League Two:

Mitch Clark - on the bench for Port Vale vs Forest Green

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Full Time Scores

Championship:

Matty James (6.6 - 78 mins) - Barnsley 2-1 Preston

Josh Knight (6.9 - 90 mins) - Wycombe 0-1 Bournemouth

League One:

Sam Hughes (7.1 - 90 mins) - Burton 1-2 Ipswich

Darnell Johnson (5.4 - 90 mins) - Wigan 0-5 Rochdale

League Two:

Mitch Clark (0 mins) - Port Vale 1-1 Forest Green

Darnell Johnson (5.4 - 90 mins) - Wigan 0-5 Rochdale. 👀

Yikes!!! 

15 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Couldn’t do it at Hibs, can’t do it in league 1. Honestly not sure why he’s still at the club 

...the last time I saw him in the U23s, we had switched to become a more controlled passing team!!!

I was surprised how assured he looked playing in that way and sought to get the ball on the floor and ventured forward with the ball at his feet. We did not retain that style for too long and we reverted to our usual attritional style which we now continue to use.

I can not believe he is so poor, that he would struggle to find a team that would entertain giving him a contract. It could just be the style he has been asked to play and not buying into what he has been asked to do. Only he will know what he wants from the game and he will have to rebuild his game, in a way that suits the way he wants to play and see where that takes him.

He is not that poor!!!

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the last time I saw him in the U23s, we had switched to become a more controlled passing team!!!

I was surprised how assured he looked playing in that way and sought to get the ball on the floor and ventured forward with the ball at his feet. We did not retain that style for too long and we reverted to our usual attritional style which we now continue to use.

I can not believe he is so poor, that he would struggle to find a team that would entertain giving him a contract. It could just be the style he has been asked to play and not buying into what he has been asked to do. Only he will know what he wants from the game and he will have to rebuild his game, in a way that suits the way he wants to play and see where that takes him.

He is not that poor!!!

I hope youre right, im not usually one to write off players too early but DJ has been here longer than most and ive heard nothing that excites me. 

Complete change in how Mitch Clarks loan at Port Vale has gone in the past few weeks, seemed to be playing well and Port Vale fans were hoping he would stay longer, had a stinker of a game, got dropped, hasn’t played since and looks like he will be coming back in January

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-press-conference-mitch-4810755

Mitch Clark likely to return to Leicester City

Defender Mitch Clark is set to return to Leicester City when his half season loan runs out at the start of January.

Manager John Askey was asked about the defender at his Friday morning press conference, and said the Vale were unlikely to try to extend the loan for the rest of the campaign.

Clark was brought in, in October, because both the club’s other right backs Zak Mills and James Gibbons were out injured. But Mills is back fit and currently ahead of Clark for a place in the side.

Meanwhile Gibbons is making progress after hamstring surgery and is expected to be in contention for around the middle of January.

This is Clark’s third loan spell at Vale, having played for both Askey and Neil Aspin in the last two seasons.

Clark can also play left back, but Vale have David Fitzpatrick, Cristian Montano and Adam Crookes who can all play in that position.

Speaking at his press conference about Clark’s situation, Askey said: “Mitch will probably return. We have James Gibbons who is doing really well, and Zak has come in and done well, so more than likely Mitch will return to Leicester.”

• Thanks 1

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-wants-defender-back-4813578

Brendan Rodgers wants defender back at 'sensational' Celtic level as wait for loan debut goes on
The Leicester City boss knows the Croatian centre-back can be 'sensational' but says he needs to start playing regularly and get back to his Celtic level of performance

ByJordan Blackwell
16:16, 18 DEC 2020

Filip Benkovic needs to prove he can get back to the “sensational” level he showed at Celtic before Brendan Rodgers will consider what his Leicester City future holds.

At the moment, the Croatian centre-back is not able to show off his ability, with game-time on loan at Cardiff proving very hard to come by.

Benkovic is still waiting for his debut, with the 23-year-old an unused substitute on nine occasions in the Championship.

Rodgers admitted that his loan spell is not going ideally but did not suggest he would be recalled.

“There’s been none as of yet,” said Rodgers when asked if there were any short-term plans for Benkovic.

“The whole idea was for him to play but I’m also a manager and if a player for whatever reason isn’t performing in games or training, and isn’t worthy of playing… I know the business we’re in.

Coaches have their say after Champions League racism incident
“So he’s obviously not played as much as he would like but he’s got to get his head down and keep working and if he gets the opportunity to play over this busy period, hopefully he can win the trust of the manager and play more games.”

Rodgers has seen first-hand how good Benkovic can be, as his manager at Celtic, but he’s not been able to replicate the performances he put on in Glasgow in late 2018 over the past two years.

He was injured for most of the second half of the season in 2018-19, then was out of the picture at City for the first half of last season. He then went on loan to Bristol City but had a stop-start spell there before moving to Cardiff.

Rodgers said he can’t think about what his role at City may look like in the future until he starts playing again.

“He needs to play games and at the minute he’s not playing at Leicester and now he’s not playing at Cardiff,” Rodgers said. “It’s something where we need to get Filip playing. He needs to get working again and show the level he can play at.

“Thankfully for myself, I’ve seen the level. When he was with me at Celtic he played against RB Leipzig and he was sensational. Really since that first 10 games at Celtic, he hasn’t maintained a level of fitness and performance that I know he can.

“Hopefully for him he can get playing again and if it’s not going to be at Cardiff in the longer term, then we’ll look at it from there.”

1 hour ago, Corky said:

We shouldn't dictate to teams how to use loan players but to play no minutes since joining is astonishing.

I think we should, plenty of other teams do it by having penalties included in the loan deals if the player doesn’t play a certain amount of games

Especially if the whole reason the loan was agreed was that you were given promises that the player would get plenty of game time

Edited by moore_94

13 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I think we should, plenty of other teams do it by having penalties included in the loan deals if the player doesn’t play a certain amount of games

Especially if the whole reason the loan was agreed was that you were given promises that the player would get plenty of game time

Agreed, it just comes across as a poorly decided loan. Why would we send a player in need of games to a club where he's likely to get very few?

I really hope we have a recall clause for Benkovic in January. He'd be far better loaned to a team where he's guaranteed game time - even if LCFC have to cover the majority of his wages. We're not going to get any return at all on our investment whilst he's developing haemorrhoids sitting on the bench.

It's actually quite annoying really. I'm sure that when Even was loaning in every player in earth we were obliged to play them. 

Edited by Jobyfox

29 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

I don't know, I think we'd object if Wolves told us to use Ryan Bennett, for example.

There needs to be a discussion about his situation because not playing any football so far is concerning.

1 minute ago, Corky said:

I don't know, I think we'd object if Wolves told us to use Ryan Bennett, for example.

There needs to be a discussion about his situation because not playing any football so far is concerning.

Each situation is different. I think we were obliged to buy RB if he played a certain amount of games - which is why we latterly f'd him off even when we were managing an injury crisis. 

6 minutes ago, Corky said:

Nah they are 2 different situations

Bennett is a player who Wolves had no use for and they likely understood from the start that he would barely play which is why the buy option activated after 5 games

Benkovic however we have sent out purely to get game time and match fitness so we are likely quite annoying that he has played 0 minutes (although I think his lack of fitness and injury when he first joined has made the whole thing a bit of a mess)

But I do agree there needs to be a dicussion about his situation, as well as also the situations of Hirst at Rotherham and Iversen at Leuven, recall them, and send them to clubs with actual guarantees of play time (with financial penalties if they don't)

• Like 1

Afternoon Games

Championship:

Josh Knight - starting for Wycombe vs QPR

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall - starting for Luton vs Bournemouth

Matty James - starting for Barnsley vs Swansea

George Hirst - Rotherham vs Derby postponed - Rotherham player has Covid, with other Rotherham players also showing symptoms (https://www.themillers.co.uk/news/2020/december/read--club-statement---rotherham-united-v-derby-county/)

League One:

Sam Hughes - starting for Burton vs Doncaster

Darnell Johnson - starting for Wigan vs Fleetwood

League Two:

Mitch Clark - not in the squad for Port Vale vs Walsall

2 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Nah they are 2 different situations

Bennett is a player who Wolves had no use for and they likely understood from the start that he would barely play which is why the buy option activated after 5 games

Benkovic however we have sent out purely to get game time and match fitness so we are likely quite annoying that he has played 0 minutes (although I think his lack of fitness and injury when he first joined has made the whole thing a bit of a mess)

But I do agree there needs to be a dicussion about his situation, as well as also the situations of Hirst at Rotherham and Iversen at Leuven, recall them, and send them to clubs with actual guarantees of play time (with financial penalties if they don't)

I feel a bit uncomfortable with giving financial penalties for players not playing- after all, it is the manager's job to decide who to play. It is clear that no party in this deal is benefitting from the loan agreement- Benkovic doesn't play, we don't see any progress and Cardiff don't seem to rate him. He needs to come back and try elsewhere. I'm sure he's good enough to play at that level.

I'd rather cut the loan short and think twice before dealing with a team again.

Half Time Scores

Championship:

Josh Knight (6.3) - Wycombe 0-1 QPR

Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall (6.9) - Luton 0-0 Bournemouth

Matty James (6.4) - Barnsley 0-1 Swansea

League One:

Sam Hughes (5.7 - 20 mins - taken off due to injury) - Burton 1-2 Doncaster

Darnell Johnson (6.1) - Wigan 0-1 Fleetwood

• Like 1