Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On Loan 2020/21

Such a shame for Hughes, one of Burtons best players so far this season in a relegation battle and his injury will make it even harder for them

Be interesting to see what we do with him, at 23 I can't really see him getting a new contract but hopefully like we have done with players like Simpson and King we will let him stick around and get fit until he gets a new club

Would like to see KDH get an opportunity with the first team but I think it's unlikely with all the players ahead of him. I can see him killing it for Luton and being picked up by one of the wealthier Championship clubs for £3m or £4m. 

That said, if it's case of keeping one and selling the other, I hope we keep KDH and sell Matty James. I really like MJ but he's missed so much of his career through injury, I really think he should be somewhere where he's a key player playing every week.

• Like 2

On 21/12/2020 at 17:32, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Every season, really? Why? Not every other PL club has an endless conveyor belt of talent they give minutes to year-upon-year. 

I think the faith we show graduates is amongst the best in the top flight already and we shouldn't be giving token minutes to youngsters for the sake of it. Rodgers has shown a vested interest in the academy, if he think a footballer is there or thereabouts they'll likely be sniffing around.

The clubs with the best academies give time to an academy prospect or two every year. The u23s need to know they'll be given a shot at the first team. Or else some will (and have) start looking elsewhere. If we get more European action this will be easier, although I do think Rodgers should have given some u23s 5 minutes or so in some Europa matches.

Don't think KDH will be returning to our first team in Jan or the Summer. 

Likely he will push for a move now hes tasted first team football and highly doubtful he will get games for us when his loan is over. 

There are simply too many above him in the pecking order especially if we strengthen even more. 

A nice free of around £5 million and its another good job well done by the academy. 

Wish Hughes well but imagine he won't be offered another contract.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Likely he will push for a move now hes tasted first team football and highly doubtful he will get games for us when his loan is over. 

There are simply too many above him in the pecking order especially if we strengthen even more. 

A nice free of around £5 million and its another good job well done by the academy. 

...serious question, what position do would you say KDH plays, and who is ahead of him!!!

25 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

5 million? He got about 3 years left on his contract, is 23 and is proven to be absolutely sensational at championship level. 

We should be able to command 3 or 4 times more than that In my humble opinion. We got 7 million for Tom Lawrence and that was 4 years ago and he hadn't looked anywhere like as impressive as KDH on any of his loan spells. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...serious question, what position do would you say KDH plays, and who is ahead of him!!!

Midfield and not not defensive midfield. So you've got Maddison, Tielemans and Praet ahead of him. I'd like to see him battle it out with Praet. He's not as good yet, from what I've briefly seen, but he's an academy graduate and young (although only three years younger).

4 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Midfield and not not defensive midfield. So you've got Maddison, Tielemans and Praet ahead of him. I'd like to see him battle it out with Praet. He's not as good yet, from what I've briefly seen, but he's an academy graduate and young (although only three years younger).

...with the injury problems we have suffered this season, no reason why he could not be an option as an 8 not the 10!!!

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

The clubs with the best academies give time to an academy prospect or two every year. The u23s need to know they'll be given a shot at the first team. Or else some will (and have) start looking elsewhere. If we get more European action this will be easier, although I do think Rodgers should have given some u23s 5 minutes or so in some Europa matches.

Yeah, minutes in dead rubbers no doubt, unless they're good enough and make the squad organically. I don't want academy lads getting played just because.

I don't think any of those we've lost are going to bite us on the arse. 

13 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah, minutes in dead rubbers no doubt, unless they're good enough and make the squad organically. I don't want academy lads getting played just because.

I don't think any of those we've lost are going to bite us on the arse. 

James Justin should be an example to all of us that given a run of games, a player we thought was a longer term project, turns into our player of the season so far and his value has increased exponentially in 3 months. He's now probably worth somewhere north of £30M with the assured way he has adapted to the Premier League and being tipped for a full England call up. You never quite know unless you give them a go.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Red Squirrel said:

James Justin should be an example to all of us that given a run of games, a player we thought was a longer term project, turns into our player of the season so far and his value has increased exponentially in 3 months. He's now probably worth somewhere north of £30M with the assured way he has adapted to the Premier League and being tipped for a full England call up. You never quite know unless you give them a go.  

Exactly, he's grown into the squad organically, kind of my point (even if he's not an academy product)? He was never given minutes "just because" - there was clearly an intention to ease him in.

Harry Panayiotou springs to mind as a player we doled out minutes to, on paper it ups our use of academy graduates but does it necessarily entice young players to sign with us? I don't think it does. It's a quality over quantity game. As a young player it'd excite me seeing what Chilwell turned into, what Barnes is doing, the chances Thomas is having - quantifiable development on merit - we aren't doing badly with the amount of minutes and opportunities we offer to academy players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

5 million? He got about 3 years left on his contract, is 23 and is proven to be absolutely sensational at championship level. 

We should be able to command 3 or 4 times more than that In my humble opinion. We got 7 million for Tom Lawrence and that was 4 years ago and he hadn't looked anywhere like as impressive as KDH on any of his loan spells. 

I think saying he’s been proven to be absolutely sensational in the championship is over egging it some what . He’s only made ten appearances for starters and some games he has gone missing . I will agree he has been good to very good . 

10 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Although I don't want KDH to go as I think he has a future at the highest level, this is what we need to be doing more of. Get players exposed to lower league football earlier and knowing we can't keep them all as they won't all be good enough in the environment we can give them in the first team and therefore sell them for a good fee. Liverpool do it with aplomb and it's an art in itself.

9 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Exactly, he's grown into the squad organically, kind of my point (even if he's not an academy product)? He was never given minutes "just because" - there was clearly an intention to ease him in.

Harry Panayiotou springs to mind as a player we doled out minutes to, on paper it ups our use of academy graduates but does it necessarily entice young players to sign with us? I don't think it does. It's a quality over quantity game. As a young player it'd excite me seeing what Chilwell turned into, what Barnes is doing, the chances Thomas is having - quantifiable development on merit - we aren't doing badly with the amount of minutes and opportunities we offer to academy players.

I agree but I do think some may have been held back a little by not letting them go on loan quick enough. Academy football is ok but no substitute for the real thing being pitted against seasoned pros where the games actually mean something to the teams playing. I would imagine that the atmosphere is very different also having to mix with older players and grow up quickly in different ways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Lets be honest, we can only go off the odd live game from Sky and what the Luton fans say on social media, I xan't see many of us paying £10 a gig on ifollow to watch him so based on the former, their fans have gone absolutely bonkers about him. 

That said the Barnsley fans have been going mad over Matty James does that make him make him sensational also . We both know Matty is far from sensational  . 

Edited by baldeagle
  • Like 1

Why not bring KDH back and send him to one of the strugglers in the Prem? 

If he has a stormer his argument for a chance next season is ready made. 

We bought a player from league one, who skipped the championship completely, and has been absolutely invaluable to us this season! Truth is unless they get a chance in the Prem we will never know how good these players are!

There's at least 4 prem teams who would benefit from KDH in their matchday squad currently... makes sense to me!

3 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I think saying he’s been proven to be absolutely sensational in the championship is over egging it some what . He’s only made ten appearances for starters and some games he has gone missing . I will agree he has been good to very good . 

I'll just echo what other people have said, I've only watched him at luton once so it's difficult to get into too deep an arguement about how good he has been for Luton. My opinion is based almost entirely on reading Lutons forum and twitter and I will conceed that I am prone to over sensationalist comments lol

But.... 

He's won motm 4 times (voted for by fans on Lutons official twitter) which is 40% of games he's played! So if he hasn't been "absolutely sensational" he's at least been "brilliant"! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, baldeagle said:

That said the Barnsley fans have been going mad over Matty James does that make him make him sensational also . We both know Matty is far from sensational  . 

Matt James was sensational in 13/14 playing with Danny Drinkwater, when we won the championship at a canter. 

He was also good in the Premier league in the 14/15 Great escape season keeping drinkwater out the side in the middle with Esteban. 

Admittedly he's torn every muscle in his body since then. At least twice but if he's 90% even 80% the player he was he can still be a brilliant championship player. We won't get any money for him of course due to his age and injury record different story for KDH though. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Why not bring KDH back and send him to one of the strugglers in the Prem? 

If he has a stormer his argument for a chance next season is ready made. 

We bought a player from league one, who skipped the championship completely, and has been absolutely invaluable to us this season! Truth is unless they get a chance in the Prem we will never know how good these players are!

There's at least 4 prem teams who would benefit from KDH in their matchday squad currently... makes sense to me!

We need to be getting to a point where we are loaning our younger player's to top championship or bottom prem teams to gain experience for us to benefit. For me thats the next step in our development as a club, especially as one that will want to develop it's young players and being them through. 

9 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I'll just echo what other people have said, I've only watched him at luton once so it's difficult to get into too deep an arguement about how good he has been for Luton. My opinion is based almost entirely on reading Lutons forum and twitter and I will conceed that I am prone to over sensationalist comments lol

But.... 

He's won motm 4 times (voted for by fans on Lutons official twitter) which is 40% of games he's played! So if he hasn't been "absolutely sensational" he's at least been "brilliant"! 

Oh no I definitely agree what I’ve seen he’s been very good and that’s only a handful of matches and some highlights. It’s all  good mate 👍

• Like 1