Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

Just now, SO1 said:

What's the shortest distance between Point A and Point B?

Well its a straight line, but not sure how that's relevant.

Also what looks straight on a map, probably isn't straight because the world is a globe (A globe is a like a ball; a sphere).

Some people think the world isn't a globe. It was probably them responsible for all the straight lines.

Look at Counties in the UK. Not a straight line in sight. Bloody glorious.

10 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Whats with all the straight lines for state boundaries.. its like for a while they followed coast lines and mountain ridges or to include towns, or cultural aspects/considerations or natural features.

Did some just get bored or be approaching a deadline so just got the map and a pen and ruler out.

https://daily.jstor.org/why-are-u-s-borders-straight-lines/

ask and you shall receive thanks to GOOGLE Just trying to be a smart ass.

Edited by SO1

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sorry! Wasn’t trying to drag you back in to the darkness. Honest.

1 1/2 hrs. till the bus parking begins :ph34r: Peace at last.

In Michigan you are never more than 85 miles away from the Great Lakes!!!!!!!

Michigan was also the first state to guarantee every child a state-funded high school education and indeed the first to provide in its constitution for the establishment of public libraries.

When this glorious sceptered isle loses its natural buoyancy and seeks 'neath the waves (from whence it came), I'm going to Michigan. Unless of course its quite cold there, in which case I'll just go down with 'this ship' (Dido style) ('this ship' being 'this country')

Just now, Stivo said:

I guess Trump’s final throw of the dice will be to appeal to the electors in the college to “unsteal the election” by being faithless.  Any chance of that working?

There's only one Faithless mate. I'm sure the electors in the college are hip-hop happening kinda guys and I bet their nights out are legendary, but come on mate? Faithless?

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

There's only one Faithless mate. I'm sure the electors in the college are hip-hop happening kinda guys and I bet their nights out are legendary, but come on mate? Faithless?

Google is your friend ...

1 minute ago, Stivo said:

Google is your friend ...

Who do you think you are, coming on here with your 33 posts, name-dropping your favourite search engines?

Where does this end? You going to come and stick a flag in the middle of Foxestalk and makes us all wear your naff corporation branded polo-shirts.

(I'll take a small.)

(Wait. Are these slim fit? NO?? Erm, gonna need a medium.)

12 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

In Michigan you are never more than 85 miles away from the Great Lakes!!!!!!!

Michigan was also the first state to guarantee every child a state-funded high school education and indeed the first to provide in its constitution for the establishment of public libraries.

When this glorious sceptered isle loses its natural buoyancy and seeks 'neath the waves (from whence it came), I'm going to Michigan. Unless of course its quite cold there, in which case I'll just go down with 'this ship' (Dido style) ('this ship' being 'this country')

So much Michigan going right now lol

Michigan is indeed cold in the winter. Depending on where in Michigan you live (because it's about the size of the UK), we get snow from November to April. One of the benefits of Michigan is that there are four distinct seasons. Spring is basically UK winter - wet, cold. Summer gets hot and humid. Lots of people have places "up north" with lake/cottage properties to do outdoorsy things. As you said, we have some of the best freshwater beaches in the world. The only beaches that would be considered "crowded" would be in the southwest part of the state because we get a lot of tourists from Chicago.

Edit - I forgot Autumn. "Fall" as we call it, is lowkey the best season in Michigan. From like Mid-September to early November, the heat subsides and it is perfect weather. Warm enough in the daytime, cool enough at night to have a bonfire. Leaves turn all the colors. 

You can get away with visiting Michigan on the cheap. Cost of living is low relative to Chicago, New York, etc. 

Edited by Detroit Blues
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Detroit Blues said:

So much Michigan going right now lol

Michigan is indeed cold in the winter. Depending on where in Michigan you live (because it's about the size of the UK), we get snow from November to April. One of the benefits of Michigan is that there are four distinct seasons. Spring is basically UK winter - wet, cold. Summer gets hot and humid. Lots of people have places "up north" with lake/cottage properties to do outdoorsy things. As you said, we have some of the best freshwater beaches in the world. The only beaches that would be considered "crowded" would be in the southwest part of the state because we get a lot of tourists from Chicago.

Are you more proud of your supreme automotive industrial and innovative heritage?

Or the fact you have the largest known natural copper deposit in the world?

I love Michigan. Colorada's state flag is cooler though.

1 minute ago, The People's Hero said:

Are you more proud of your supreme automotive industrial and innovative heritage?

Or the fact you have the largest known natural copper deposit in the world?

I love Michigan. Colorada's state flag is cooler though.

I work for the auto industry :ph34r: 

Basically our entire economy is based on automotive companies, tourism, and farming.

The American system gives every citizen a vote.   After  a complex process with lawsuits etc etc and with two parties supervising each step of the way the states reach a result.

Based on that result  the state then  appoints actual people to be the “electors” with the state’s votes. ( one per vote).  Perfectly sensible if they need to travel by ship or horseback  in the 18th century...

They pledge to obey but in most states there are no penalties if they don’t

if they don’t they are called faithless - there were 7 in 2016...

I was merely asking the Americans here if they thought Trump could try and encourage this as an actual strategy.

• Thanks 1