Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

Clinton, Trump and Biden. It's depressing to think that that's the best that they could come up with over the recent past to be President. 

You could argue that Biden is possibly the best out of a bad bunch but he wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was American.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Clinton, Trump and Biden. It's depressing to think that that's the best that they could come up with over the recent past to be President. 

You could argue that Biden is possibly the best out of a bad bunch but he wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was American.

Think on this..... 60 odd thousand people voted for Kanye West to be president of the united states! That's how bad things are!

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think most will be happy if he just puts his feet up for four years with a cup of hot milk in front of the fire and just naps. 

We could all do with a break from Trump, Brexit, Covid.... just imagine in January we could have a vaccine, Biden in place and Brexit done and dusted. 

Unfortunately things don't work that way. The 21st century has certainly thrown a lot of things at us - much of it our own making.

It's how you adapt, really. Just live your life as best you can and take the opportunities. 

22 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Think on this..... 60 odd thousand people voted for Kanye West to be president of the united states! That's how bad things are!

Surprised it's so low really, he is a pretty big name to a lot of people.  I guess his recent mental health issues made it a bit less fun as a protest vote.

8 hours ago, twister said:

friend works in betting markets said they are shocked today

at 3 this morning they had trump a cert, then something weird happen it all flipped in a hour with money going on biden out of nowhere.Lot of them said it made zero sense ohio going red not michigan after a clear early lead.

Anyway trump is out so its biden now for four years, lets see how it unravels.

I suggest the betting markets are not that well informed here, and they panicked a bit when the polls looked way off early in the night.  To be fair the polls still exaggerated the gap between Biden and Trump in key states, but he appears to be liley to win them.  From here ideally they are turn Blue and we can move on.  I think the Supreme court won't want to effectively tell half a dozen states how to run their elections.  Not sure that is even in their power.

Edited by Jon the Hat

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

It’s the money sadly. Same in the UK but not to the same extent. You need millions upon millions to be a nominated candidate for your party. Even if you are a grass roots level politician who breaks into the house like AOC, you’ve gotta find big business ready to back you. 

In the UK, I think the average MP election campaign is something like £100k. 

37 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Surprised it's so low really, he is a pretty big name to a lot of people.  I guess his recent mental health issues made it a bit less fun as a protest vote.

I'm sure I read that he could only be voted for in 12 states or something like that. 

13 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s the money sadly. Same in the UK but not to the same extent. You need millions upon millions to be a nominated candidate for your party. Even if you are a grass roots level politician who breaks into the house like AOC, you’ve gotta find big business ready to back you. 

I read/watched something once about Congressmen/Senators. As they're elected every two years, they get sworn in and are basically fundraising for their reelection from day one. Cosying up to big businesses and the important industries in their state to ensure they get another term. Seems mad, but it's the way our democracies work.

18 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's very different in the UK to be fair, and this is one of the best features of our political system.  MPs are allowed to spend £8,700 pls 6 or 9p per constituent, and parties can only spend £30,000 on top of that,  Wealth is not that important.

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I desperately need a remix of this.

What's happening with her glasses almost slipping off her nose and her sweater sliding down? Looks like she's just about to be 'taken' by the Lord.

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

What the hell has happened to The Times? These days not only printing deranged conspiracy theories, but putting them on the front page lol

Is this what being right-wing is now?

I think what he is trying to say under all the bluster is that the pollsters and media and "establishment" don't listen to half the country at all.  He appears to be right given Trump added 3 million votes.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

What the hell has happened to The Times? These days not only printing deranged conspiracy theories, but putting them on the front page lol

Is this what being right-wing is now?

Do you reckon he doesn't know or just doesn't care that those "traditional social values" mostly involve treating anyone who isn't rich, white and male as inherently lesser?

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think what he is trying to say under all the bluster is that the pollsters and media and "establishment" don't listen to half the country at all.  He appears to be right given Trump added 3 million votes.

Everyone is worth listening to, but perhaps not everyone is worth seriously considering.

For instance, a QAnon believer got elected to the House of representatives yesterday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Do you reckon he doesn't know or just doesn't care that those "traditional social values" mostly involve treating anyone who isn't rich, white and male as inherently lesser?

Everyone is worth listening to, but perhaps not everyone is worth seriously considering.

For instance, a QAnon believer got elected to the House of representatives yesterday.

I just love this idea the Democratic Party is simultaneously both shapeless, flaccid and useless and the ringleaders of a massive global conspiracy in which they have an iron-like grip in every facet of public life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I just love this idea the Democratic Party is simultaneously both shapeless, flaccid and useless and the ringleaders of a massive global conspiracy in which they have an iron-like grip in every facet of public life.

Schrodingers Liberal.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There isn't actually anything controversial or corrupt about postal voting, its happened all over the world completely legitimately forever. The only problem with it in this election is the republicans systematically targeting it as a way of trying to get rid of as many Democrat votes as they possibly can because they knew there were a lot of reactionary anti Trump votes coming. 

There ought to be something controversial about postal balloting, though nobody seems bothered.  It's the abolition of the secret ballot.

The secret ballot was introduced long ago to stop people (in those days usually landlords) putting undue pressure on people to vote a certain way.  Nowadays it's more likely to be abusive husbands (or wives), but could also be landlords or employers or just general bullies.  With a secret ballot, it's not the right to keep your vote secret that is vital, it's that you must keep your vote secret.  If you enter a polling station with your wife, and she marks her cross, she must put it in the box without showing it to you.  If she shows it to you, it's an invalid vote.  Hence husband can't force wife to vote a certain way.

That's why postal voting should be controversial - because it makes the secret ballot unenforceable.

• Thanks 1