Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Post Match Thread - Man City (A)

3 hours ago, Fulham said:

I see you guys don't like Amartey

We are ready to take him off your hands.....

I just watched a man back from a 2-year habitus who could help us a lot

TWO WASTED YEARS

:riyad:

Edited by OntarioFox
sorry i've been drinking

Glorious result.  Vardy's pens used to worry me - he just used to blast them and it seemed a bit random if he'd score or not.  Now, he's far more precise and I have complete confidence in them.  If anyone can can discover the secret of eternal youth I'll pay them a king's ransom to only reveal it to Jamie, thought it seems he might know it anyway.

Not sure if I should be surprised or not that no pundit has likened his second today to the goal v Germany. You'd think they would see the parallels but no.  Further evidence they are all stealing a living.

So happy for Mendy too, and great to see Amartey back and putting in a solid performance, suspect it will be him and Cäglar v West Ham.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Top story on BBC Sport. I think the Beeb are mocking them lol

Screenshot_20200927-235647_Chrome.jpg

Read that on the bus home today and it royally p**sed me off. :huh:

The Beeb's angle for everything this weekend has been "quote-unquote "big club" hard-done by". It's like Phil McNulty is ghost-writing everything right now - the Spurs - Newcastle "match report" was just a long rant (filled with some sentences I'd have been embarrassed by in High School) about how the penalty shouldn't have been given. Seen it back. The offside / onside call is more questionable than whether it hit Dier's outstretched arm. Moan about the current rules all you like, but it's a stonewall penalty in September 2020, and the BBC article was embarrasingly agenda-driven in that respect.

Their job is to report on the game. Not to tubthump and try to affect change in its governance. Today went a long way to reminding me why there's such a groundswell of common complaint about how the organisation is run.

Tell you what - no idea which channels / services it goes out on, but I've REALLY liked the coverage of our game we got from DAZN today, with Manish, Andy Townsend and Shay Given. Balanced, acknowledged our game-plan (in-depth) and didn't make any real excuses for Man City's capitulation, save for the (factual) lack of options up top (which, even then, they lambasted the club for not addressing before the season started, rather than using as an excuse). I fully expect Match Of The Day has brushed it off as part of their injury crisis and ignored that we have one of our own (including 3 crocked mid-game today)? 

I really don't miss the coverage back in the UK. It's shocking. Aside from the cringe-ass segments where they drag in a Canadian to talk about something with an Englishman and it plays out like they're receiving a participation medal at Sports Day, the coverage here on DAZN is way more nuanced and in-depth than anything I've ever seen in the UK. lol

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dames said:

Exactly this. In the past every time he’s changed formation he’s kept the same patient style of play to go with it hence why its always ended up a disaster.

After 30 minutes today the team finally adapted to the new formation as well as the instructions and it actually worked. The Leicester team that came out in the second half was unrecognisable from the one that started the game. 

I hope he’s finally turned a corner and learned that he needs to be far more flexible with his approach. 

Yeah. Some fans were entitled to be nervous after previous showings. We were really calling for a positive mentality - one that believes we can and will win and chase every ball to the last minute. Last season, when the same occurs, we looked like we were not that interested to win, backpassing the ball even when we were chasing and the clock was running down. That is what we were afraid of.

But we are glad to be proven wrong this match. It is not so much the set up, but glad that the players had it in them to want to win and believes in themselves with their slick quick passing upfield. Last season, we would have been passing around the back and let Man City press us into a mistake.

Well done.

Edited by Tom12345

7 hours ago, KingsX said:

Every other post you've made on here has been "meant to be a dig" at Madders.

And every other one of them (like this one) has been responding to a post or thread, that had nothing to do with him.

Find another obsession?

It is really more about thoughts on team selection and I was just keen to see Praet keep his place (as an aside it is worrying to see he got injured). But credit where credit is due - Madders did score a cracker.

6 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

It is really more about thoughts on team selection and I was just keen to see Praet keep his place (as an aside it is worrying to see he got injured). But credit where credit is due - Madders did score a cracker.

Maddison is total quality... praet did good but maddison is different level... just the movement and ability on the ball, he slides past players and then creates or scores a corker... maddison is the man 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

9 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Wow, heard Brenda's post match interview? Fair play to him, honesty, no blarney and went up so much in my estimation. Stated that it's taken him 14yrs to play such a system as he always likes to be positive but realised he had to change things including himself to win games. What an honest and great thing to hear. Must have really wrankled with him what happened last year and has been thinking about it since. I formally take my hat off too him. Brilliant tactics today!

Just watched it. That's really impressed me actually. The first sign that he's fixing his shortcomings and what a way to do it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

The real winner today was Rodgers. It was a complete tactical masterclass. 
The real losers today were the plonkers who slagged everything off for the first 20 mins in the match thread.

It made for embarrassing reading.

I wasnt one of those people, I was thinking but kept myself off any forums, as I have made myself look like an idiot too many times already.

But it is worth pointing out we didnt play like we did in the first part of the game all the way through, there was a clear shift, if we played like that for the full 90 we were not winning the game.  On the flip side however, if we started out more open we could have been 3-0 down in 30 minutes and game done, who knows what would have happened.

What did actually happen is aside from mahrez's wonder strike, kasper wasnt really pressured, so defensively we were doing ok, and when you can stay disciplined then anything becomes possible.   Man City were nowhere near their best especially KDB, this certainly helped, but on the flip side, their home game against us last season was one of their best games, it is luck which Man City turns up on the day.  KDB made a run forward early in the second half as if he had a bollocking at half time, and I was worried then, but then he went back into a shell again after.

We were very clinical which was great to see, forward play improved on the back end of last season.

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

I noticed him all the way up there during the game but totally forgot about it until seeing the highlights. That is phenomenal attacking play from JJ. 

Garcia clears the ball to Mahrez but JJ is man marking him, puts him under pressure AND THEN chases down Riyad’s wayward pass to Ake and forces him into making a quick clearance which goes straight to Amartey. Amartey calmly heads to Tielemans who starts his interplay with Castagne. Meanwhile JJ has stayed up on the right wing, draws Ake out of position to create the space for Tielemans through ball to Castagne, and is still around in the box just in case. 

20 minutes later and he’s putting Torres under pressure who has to pass it to Rodri. Straight away he runs back to his position to cover De Bruyne (I think), cuts out Rodri’s pass and carries it over the halfway line, plays a 1-2 with Maddison, then passes to Mendy and darts the wing which pulls Walker out of position and creates space for Madders to shoot. 

Brilliant, underrated performance from him today. 

Indeed some people consider this been a headless chicken, but I have always said pressing gets you awards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Vardy has already said he is ok.

No idea about the other two though.

Yes, just saw his interview so all good with him hopefully. The other two looked a bit the worse for wear. If we could just get the full side together we’d have a great squad already, even without more signings.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Two observations. 

We seem to have developed some belief even when behind. Maybe this has come from the latter part of last season. 

Secondly, Brendan has developed into allowing himself to set his team to counter the oppositions strengths.  This is as appose to going toe to toe. 

These two things show we are not trying to do the same things while expecting a different outcome. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Disagree with you on this one Col. After so many games of watching us roll over for the big boys it's understandable for people to vent their frustrations when the game was taking a familiar path. Hindsight is a wonderful thing 

I agree. I was driving back from work so could only listen to the opening 20 minutes on 5 live. Interestingly, Murray and Waddle were quite scathing about us in that period with Waddle in particular picking up on Vardy's deep positioning even when we went behind. I say interestingly because in his post match interview, Rodgers mentioned how we did that very deliberately on this occasion and of course it worked out brilliantly eventually. So anyone who was only looking at the opening 25 or so would rightly have been concerned, especially since we have been overwhelmed in most previous games of this type and some of us, me included, underestimated Rodgers tactical insight yesterday. Mea culpa! 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, teblin said:

The thing I was thinking about earlier is we learned our lesson from last season.

we went to city and tried to out play them last season and got destroyed. 

also papy, what a start to the season!

How could we go to ourselves?

Do you mean Manchester City?  Surely, to our own fan base, we are City.

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, just saw his interview so all good with him hopefully. The other two looked a bit the worse for wear. If we could just get the full side together we’d have a great squad already, even without more signings.

We will get the strongest XI out and promptly lose to Fulham. You know it.