Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigWesMorgan

Post Match Thread - Man City (A)

7 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Read that on the bus home today and it royally p**sed me off. :huh:

The Beeb's angle for everything this weekend has been "quote-unquote "big club" hard-done by". It's like Phil McNulty is ghost-writing everything right now - the Spurs - Newcastle "match report" was just a long rant (filled with some sentences I'd have been embarrassed by in High School) about how the penalty shouldn't have been given. Seen it back. The offside / onside call is more questionable than whether it hit Dier's outstretched arm. Moan about the current rules all you like, but it's a stonewall penalty in September 2020, and the BBC article was embarrasingly agenda-driven in that respect.

Their job is to report on the game. Not to tubthump and try to affect change in its governance. Today went a long way to reminding me why there's such a groundswell of common complaint about how the organisation is run.

Tell you what - no idea which channels / services it goes out on, but I've REALLY liked the coverage of our game we got from DAZN today, with Manish, Andy Townsend and Shay Given. Balanced, acknowledged our game-plan (in-depth) and didn't make any real excuses for Man City's capitulation, save for the (factual) lack of options up top (which, even then, they lambasted the club for not addressing before the season started, rather than using as an excuse). I fully expect Match Of The Day has brushed it off as part of their injury crisis and ignored that we have one of our own (including 3 crocked mid-game today)? 

I really don't miss the coverage back in the UK. It's shocking. Aside from the cringe-ass segments where they drag in a Canadian to talk about something with an Englishman and it plays out like they're receiving a participation medal at Sports Day, the coverage here on DAZN is way more nuanced and in-depth than anything I've ever seen in the UK. lol

Agree DAZN,for PL & Euro-cups,for English European fans gives a Great service and game cover...I Dont use them through the season...I use their monthly free trials..Pay then  1-2 months. Then re-use their free trials...

What an absolute number you did on my lot yesterday.

As usual, against a fast attack, our defence looks painfully slow (that's you, Garcia) and Mendy is always due a bit of brainlessness. Leicester executed how to expose it very well. Maddison's goal was pretty good too.

Always enjoy watching Vardy except when he's playing us. Thought his interview afterwards was good too.

Any news on how bad the Leicester injuries are?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If any of you want to read some comedy gold head over to the blue moon forum. It’s total meltdown, we think we give our players some stick but Mendy ( theirs ) and García are getting dogs abuse. They are not fond of our ex Prince Charming who they consider a show pony , greedy and lazy. 
my favorite one went something like this ‘ I woke up this morning after dreaming we had lost 7-2 then realized it was only 5-2, against Leicester f..king city yes Leicester fking city. My day and week is totally ruined The tw@ts.

• Like 1

Having watched the game again today after watching the highlights 3 or 4 times, it gets better. I have been critical of Mendy and couldn't see what he brings to the team, but wow what a performance from him (all of them actually). Brendan got the tactics absolutely spot on, makes you think will others try and copy the Leicester way against them, if so will they get any success. We are so lucky to have to the players we have and a Manager that seems to learn from past mistakes, he has been criticised for sticking to his guns. This performance has raised expectations for the season, scary thought really. 

• Like 2

Just now, browniefox said:

Having watched the game again today after watching the highlights 3 or 4 times, it gets better. I have been critical of Mendy and couldn't see what he brings to the team, but wow what a performance from him (all of them actually). Brendan got the tactics absolutely spot on, makes you think will others try and copy the Leicester way against them, if so will they get any success. We are so lucky to have to the players we have and a Manager that seems to learn from past mistakes, he has been criticised for sticking to his guns. This performance has raised expectations for the season, scary thought really. 

People were actually complaining when Mendy signed a new deal, thank god he did especially with Ndidi out. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, browniefox said:

It’s not new - wolves beat them at home last year this way

arsenal beat them at Wembley doing it 

given that we went behind, our tactical discipline over the next thirty mins was exceptional 

• Like 1

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

People were actually complaining when Mendy signed a new deal, thank god he did especially with Ndidi out. 

I was one of them, couldn't see what he offered, but having game time he seems to be getting better and better.  

Happy to eat my words if he keeps putting in the performances like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

In the opening 25/30 minutes? No don't think so.

We had all 11 men behind the ball and were extremely press-shy.

After we weathered that storm we gained confidence from a couple of counter attacks that should have surmounted to more (Barnes tackled by Garcia following long Tielemans pass and Justin passing in between Vardy and Barnes to Ake) and of course the goal that came about from brave play from Mendy (the type of turn that if he was tackled we would have been ****ed).

Following from that we pressed Man City in everything they did and they couldn't handle it.

Praet, Tielemans, Mendy and the two full backs were positionally superb in their pressing and off the ball running.

We won the game because we deviated from the tactics used in the opening half hour, not because we continued with them.

Rodgers said he Wanted the Team to find themselves and Positioning in those first 20 minutes,First defend and Close spaces,then Open slowly up,the spaces

he believed would come....

This forum crucified him last Year because he went in too gungho...Now for some he was too defensive

Your statement..Mendy the type of turn that if he was tackled we would have been ****ed). Thats Football and he wasnt & we werent!!

Vardy's Goal,  Mendy's Turn & contribution  Tielemans passing ,if they had worn the Light blue shirts,or even Barcelona shirts, the media would be all over it..!!

With Amartey & Mendy, it looks like we have saved ourselves,any stress on the Transfer market & ca £40-50mill.

Confidence,injury-free periods,manager trust and decent Experience gathering runs in the side, builds up owns Quality and understanding with team mates..!!

With Evans & Vardy,going into the stands,and Not down the Tunnel for immediate treatment,I presume the twangs/injuries are Mashable

Praet..seemed a bit worrying...

Edited by fuchsntf

16 hours ago, Parafox said:

Totally. But if you read the match thread first 200 or so posts, BR was being crucified by most for being negative and cowardly. They seem to have gone very quiet now. Why can't those people come on the post match and admit they were wrong?

I wasn't on the match thread, and I'm glad I wasn't. But hands up, I felt the same. If I typed everything I felt from team sheet I would be being crucified. 

But... Is it really so wrong? First 10 minutes made me feel like that. Then we built in confidence. It was a valid complaint from the past, and now hopefully it is fixed. 

Its nice to be proved wrong. Spouting negativity is never good, but this is a forum for discussion. 

The finger pointing though is just as irritating as the neagitivity imo though. 

16 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Wow, heard Brenda's post match interview? Fair play to him, honesty, no blarney and went up so much in my estimation. Stated that it's taken him 14yrs to play such a system as he always likes to be positive but realised he had to change things including himself to win games. What an honest and great thing to hear. Must have really wrankled with him what happened last year and has been thinking about it since. I formally take my hat off too him. Brilliant tactics today!

Love your work, this thread made me self reflect and try to remove some of my negativity though because with my tainted view, my original thoughts were that he took the glory for the majority of the interview and gave praise to the players at the end almost as an afterthought. 

Glad I read this straight after watching as 2 people's interpretations can be so different. 

You are right. I was wrong. That felt good. 

• Like 4

The Rodri / Man City reaction reminds me of how Harry Redknapp would always react if he lost to us.

"Yeah, well we always knew they were good at set pieces..."

We'd have scored four world class goals from open play and he'd trot that out just because in the nineties Matt Elliott had a magnet in his forehead and Guppy could take a corner.

As other have said, Mendy and Amartey feel like new signings.  Pleased for those lads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKCJ said:

In the opening 25/30 minutes? No don't think so.

We had all 11 men behind the ball and were extremely press-shy.

After we weathered that storm we gained confidence from a couple of counter attacks that should have surmounted to more (Barnes tackled by Garcia following long Tielemans pass and Justin passing in between Vardy and Barnes to Ake) and of course the goal that came about from brave play from Mendy (the type of turn that if he was tackled we would have been ****ed).

Following from that we pressed Man City in everything they did and they couldn't handle it.

Praet, Tielemans, Mendy and the two full backs were positionally superb in their pressing and off the ball running.

We won the game because we deviated from the tactics used in the opening half hour, not because we continued with them.

Don't you think that the tactics of the first half an hour were all part of the same plan?

• Like 3

Just now, murphy said:

Don't you think that the tactics of the first half an hour were all part of the same plan?

Whether or not we lulled Man City into a false sense of security or not.. no Idea. We may have done.

But we deviated from the tactics we played with in the first 30 minutes and that's what won us the game.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AndyK said:

As usual, against a fast attack, our defence looks painfully slow (that's you, Garcia) and Mendy is always due a bit of brainlessness. Leicester executed how to expose it very well. Maddison's goal was pretty good too.

Always enjoy watching Vardy except when he's playing us. Thought his interview afterwards was good too.

Hopefully not too bad. BR seemed fairly relaxed about Evans, and Vardy's basically made from Sheffield steel. 

Dennis Praet might be more serious though I got the sense it wasn't maybe as bad as first thought. 

54 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Ricardo - Late october.

Ndidi - Christmas

Vardy - He's fine

Maddison - Should start next week.

Praet & Evans - Haven't heard yet.

55 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Vardy has said he will be okay for next week. The one they seem most concerned about is Praet, but hopefully will be not long as he’s started the season very well. Ndidi is a big loss but Mendy has started the season very well for us. It was pleasing for us to see Rodgers adjust his approach which many have felt he was not prepared to do. I’m sure Man City will improve but if we’d spent £400m+ on our defence over the past few years I would be livid! There was no leadership out there yesterday for Man City, and it was a day our young lads came of age

6 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Ricardo - Late october.

Ndidi - Christmas

Vardy - He's fine

Maddison - Should start next week.

Praet & Evans - Haven't heard yet.

Cheers, I'd been thinking of yesterday's mostly.

It's pretty easy for a few injuries to make a squad look threadbare - Fernandinho going off was just before the wheels fell off.

7 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Vardy has said he will be okay for next week. The one they seem most concerned about is Praet, but hopefully will be not long as he’s started the season very well. Ndidi is a big loss but Mendy has started the season very well for us. It was pleasing for us to see Rodgers adjust his approach which many have felt he was not prepared to do. I’m sure Man City will improve but if we’d spent £400m+ on our defence over the past few years I would be livid! There was no leadership out there yesterday for Man City, and it was a day our young lads came of age

Yes, I was surprised Walker didn't shift to a pseudo-back 3 - Vardy isn't exactly surprising in how he plays. Need Laporte up to speed, and Ake to prove he's worth 40M - I haven't seen anything to say he is.

As has been said in many places, trusting Ederson to block shots makes more sense than giving a free hit from 12 yards. Just dumb.

Our Mendy is a poor defender, Cancelo is injured, Otamendi has gone, Laporte not ready after isolation. I suspect Garcia is on borrowed time as he's not progressing at all. Don't know anything about this Dias.