Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Wesley Fofana: Signs For LCFC

3 hours ago, Manini said:

If we’re being brutally honest Praet should have chopped their feller down in the centre circle on the break last night and took the booking, the phase of play should never have got to Fofana. 

Praet dived in but his attempt was that piss weak he just bounced off him. 

Exactly! Whenever a defender ends up against 2 free attackers, the defense has already broken down. 

4 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Exactly! Whenever a defender ends up against 2 free attackers, the defense has already broken down. 

Whilst you’re correct, he did make the wrong decision to go for the ball rather than drift over to Lookman. Evans should have been screaming at him to say drift wide so he could pick up Anguissa, which is hindsight, but I was just saying in full hindsight the play should have been broken down in the centre circle before it got to that point. I’ve said it for a few years now but we are perilously soft in transition. We never seem to be able to execute the clever fouls to stop breaks and the top teams do it so well.  

17 minutes ago, Manini said:

Whilst you’re correct, he did make the wrong decision to go for the ball rather than drift over to Lookman. Evans should have been screaming at him to say drift wide so he could pick up Anguissa, which is hindsight, but I was just saying in full hindsight the play should have been broken down in the centre circle before it got to that point. I’ve said it for a few years now but we are perilously soft in transition. We never seem to be able to execute the clever fouls to stop breaks and the top teams do it so well.  

21 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

He drops off and Anguissa has a free run and shot at goal. It's a Sophie's Choice, each with negative consequences.

At this point, it's hypothetical which option would have been better.

But it's the ultimate Sophie's Choice, and succinctly illustrates why defending is a TEAM effort. 

Edited by NaijaFox

16 minutes ago, Manini said:

Exactly (as I previously said)!

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Too easy to make a conclusion from that. 

Tielemans ****s up an easy pass. Fuchs and Justin are way out of position. Praet gets bullied. Fofana dives in. Evans doesn't step up. 

It's an absolute calamitous goal on our behalf where six players make errors. 

Also, WTF is our DM Mendy doing left wing. In fact, if you watch the goal he is jogging back till Praet misses his tackle. He then speeds up. It’s just so amateurish from all the players. 3 defenders and a DM and we are still short at the back. 

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

Also, WTF is our DM Mendy doing left wing. In fact, if you watch the goal he is jogging back till Praet misses his tackle. He then speeds up. It’s just so amateurish from all the players. 3 defenders and a DM and we are still short at the back. 

Another good point. You’d like to think if Wilf is playing he brings Anguissa down, or, knowing him, wins the ball back. As good as Mendy has been we miss Wilf’s reading of the game and positioning. 

5 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

At this point, it's hypothetical which option would have been better.

But it's the ultimate Sophie's Choice, and succinctly illustrates why defending is a TEAM effort. 

No yeah you make a good point mate I’m not denying that, you can pick fault with a number of our players in the build up to this goal which is what we’ve both alluded to - on the bright side it’s moments like this that will hopefully allow him to learn to be a bit more streetwise in the future. 

• Like 1

I like what he is doing, we need more players to take the game by the scruff of the next and dribble forward.  Its a shame he isnt a midfielder his ability to intercept and run forward he is a kante clone if played there.  If I was the manager once all the defenders are fit again, I would try him as a midfielder, tackle, win the ball, then dribble it forward to the forward players.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

He drops off and Anguissa has a free run and shot at goal. It's a Sophie's Choice, each with negative consequences.

In the ideal world he drops off and waits for the situation to hopefully change. Out players would catch up to Anguissa.

He cannot just gift a free 1-on-1 for Lookman. 

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

In the ideal world he drops off and waits for the situation to hopefully change. Out players would catch up to Anguissa.

As well as waiting for the cavalry to arrive for help, he probably buys himself a few more seconds while Anguissa still has the ball to go in for the tackle at that time or keep dropping off and trying to block the angle for the pass to Lookman.

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

As well as waiting for the cavalry to arrive for help, he probably buys himself a few more seconds while Anguissa still has the ball to go in for the tackle at that time or keep dropping off and trying to block the angle for the pass to Lookman.

Exactly. Diving in when you're not 100% likely to win the ball is the wrong move. Wait for a heavy Anguissa touch or for Justin/Evans to be in better positions.

16 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

We didn't have a player within social distance (:D) of Anguissa.

Meanwhile, Fulham has a free player wide open on the right as well (in addition to Lookman and the left). It was a TEAM defensive cluster****! 

image.thumb.png.848432cae94484c2a8470fbf0363ee17.png

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

If he holds position and chooses to go with Lookman, the likelyhood is that the attacks slows down enough to get Mendy covering the other winger and Evans to press Anguissa 

Hypothetical, but is that what happened against Villa when Barkley wasn't closed down?

2 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Hypothetical, but is that what happened against Villa when Barkley wasn't closed down?

Not really as that wasn't a break of any kind.

Barkley was left with acres of space after a few passes from their goal-kick. Our midfield went walkabout, Hamza lost him and didn't get back to block a shot quick enough. That was nothing to do with Fofana, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

No chance. He has to drop off and hold the play up. He cannot dive in and gift that space in behind.

He drops off they play through. It's a gamble but you have to go to the ball and expect your partner to be level. 

It's lose lose either way and there was absolutely no chance anyone gets back to help. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It’s a calculated risk no? 

Whats the hardest task the pass or the shot? 

But that's the point. Either call is a calculated risk.

Each option holds the possibility of negative consequences, so in the heat of the moment the players elects the 'best' of two poor choices. Obviously Fofana saw closing down Anguissa, who had no one around him to impede his progress, as relatively more urgent (perhaps he does not share the apparent faith of some in Evans' foot speed :D). In hindsight, it cost us but it is hypothetical to suggest the other option wouldn't have either.

Edited by NaijaFox

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not really as that wasn't a break of any kind.

Barkley was left with acres of space after a few passes from their goal-kick. Our midfield went walkabout, Hamza lost him and didn't get back to block a shot quick enough. That was nothing to do with Fofana, in my opinion. 

Nobody said it did.

Merely a case where the defenders backed off and the attacker had a free run and shot at goal.

Fofana was to blame if some sorts as he should of followed lookman.

If the other lad strides through and smashes one then fine, but don’t let Lookman get the most easiest of chances. Look man even I’d of scored that!

The problems were long before it got to Fofana though, are players were all over the place and we didn’t really know what we were doing, getting in each other’s ways at times. The system was all wrong.

When the big picture is wrong, the little things all show up.