Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Wesley Fofana: Signs For LCFC

To me he’s doing fine absolutely thrown  in at the deep end. If he as a central defender makes a mistake it can be costly but if Barnes , Under or Vardy make a mistake and don’t score it’s just as costly. He must know because we create Jack at the moment one mistake could lose us the match. If we scored a couple at the other end we wouldn’t be analyzing his every move.

Our problems at the moment are much more than little Wes. 

• Like 1

This thread should be locked as it is becoming embarrassing.  Sometimes this Forum is so fickle and overreactive.  Just give him and the whole team a break.  They will all come good.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

FFS you guys are so fickle it's crazy. 3 or 4 good performances and everyone is raving about him being one of the best in the league/world and is going right to the top, to be sold for £100m+ in a few years. 2 or 3 mixed performances and he's peaked and needs dropping. 

Sure, he's had some worse performances of late, but he hasn't even made an overt mistake directly leading to a goal. 

I agree he is still a great potential and that’s not changed. He is 19 though and should be expected to make mistakes. And to you last point, he did, three times in a row now:

- vs Braga: their third goal was due to Fofana committing too far forward, got beaten and overrun

- vs Fulham: their second goal was due to Fofana not falling back and tracking back as all experienced defenders would do and instead stopped to try to block the passing lane unsuccessfully - school boy error really but he is 19!

- vs Zorya: their goal was due to him not tracking his man and falling into the last defensive line

All pretty clear errors and directly leading to goal.

Against Liverpool, he was constantly out of position too.

He is massive talent though and one definitely to watch. But it seems afterall he is human and is afterall 19 so not the superstar defender just yet. He will get there but he will need time to develop and meanwhile if not for Soy getting injured Evans/Soy would be the best defensive partnership. With Soy injured, I actually think we should call Morgan back in and shield Fofana a bit and give him some time off.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

- vs Braga: their third goal was due to Fofana committing too far forward, got beaten and overrun

- vs Fulham: their second goal was due to Fofana not falling back and tracking back as all experienced defenders would do and instead stopped to try to block the passing lane unsuccessfully - school boy error really but he is 19!

- vs Zorya: their goal was due to him not tracking his man and falling into the last defensive line

All mistakes for sure. I think we're just disagreeing on terminology though. When I said "overt mistake directly leading to a goal" I meant in the sense of an unforced own goal, or being needlessly caught in possession, or a suicidal back pass etc. 

The examples also have other teammates to 'blame' for too. 

vs Braga - why didn't we keep it in the corner and run down the clock?

vs Fulham - poor tackle/pressure from Praet, poor positioning from Evans

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom12345 said:

I agree he is still a great potential and that’s not changed. He is 19 though and should be expected to make mistakes. And to you last point, he did, three times in a row now:

He is massive talent though and one definitely to watch. But it seems afterall he is human and is afterall 19 so not the superstar defender just yet. He will get there but he will need time to develop and meanwhile if not for Soy getting injured Evans/Soy would be the best defensive partnership. With Soy injured, I actually think we should call Morgan back in and shield Fofana a bit and give him some time off.

If you were to list all the other mistakes by the rest of the players involved in these games, you would need the whole day to complete this exercise.

Morgan is far to slow for the EPL.

Sounds like the Soyuncu thread all over again. He is a young lad who has been thrust into the team a lot earlier than expected. His early performances show what we can expect on a consistant level in the coming years. He is 19 FFS he will make mistakes just like Cags did but he will learn. Its not as if his Centre Half partners are helping him is it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

So we’ve deduced he’s not happy, we’ve paid too much, he’s arrogant. Anything else? X 

I'm actually relieved we've gotten to see him making mistakes so soon after his electric start. People were SO quick to praise him and bigging him up after a few games. 
But as Babylon said a few posts ago, we should expect this kind of inconsistency from a young footballer. I love his exuberance (which can spill over into naïvety) and energy - he's basically still so raw and unschooled which makes him do things that surprises many of us who are used to central defenders being technically poor and/or slow. But it shows once more how quick people in general these days are to pass judgement on very little evidence. 

• Like 2

This kid has so much potential (reminds me of a young Umtiti)  but is still a kid. If he continues to develop and stays grounded, he could have a big big future in the game.

However at the moment he has probably still played less than 40 senior matches in his career so he deserves to be allowed to make the odd mistake if he's forced into a starting position due to injuries.

I think we will sign another CB (possibly Tarkowski) in January or at the end of the season to provide more depth 

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

- vs Braga: their third goal was due to Fofana committing too far forward, got beaten and overrun - Would expect their to be cover 

- vs Fulham: their second goal was due to Fofana not falling back and tracking back as all experienced defenders would do and instead stopped to try to block the passing lane unsuccessfully - school boy error really but he is 19! - Absolute rubbish. Evans was at fault for being 2 yards behind him

- vs Zorya: their goal was due to him not tracking his man and falling into the last defensive line - Wrong again if it was anyones fault it was Hamza's - it was just a good, well worked goal.

None "Directly" lead to goals at all. 

Doesnt take you lot long does it. 

Edited by goose2010
  • Thanks 1

I love little Wes! He is a little nuts which I like and isn't afraid to tackle or get forward. He already seems part of the team and settling in well and genuinely seems gutted when things don't go well. As a young lad who has never played in the premier league before or moved to a different country away from friends and family he is doing brilliantly. Yes he will make mistakes, that's to be expected but what a prospect he is. The finished article would be a lot more money. I think he will do just fine! Love he is a little bonkers 😁

• Like 1

I'm not trawling through this thread as others have said it looks embarrassing.

His first games for us were nothing short of sensational,.saying that, BR always warned us he's young and will make mistakes and never got carried away. 

It just shows you how finely tuned Premier League/ European football is because as soon as he started getting pulled out of position and we didn't have cohesion as a team, he looked just as vunrable as the next man. 

Edited by Collymore

Only 3 games ago fofana was blowing up the league. Yes he's dropped below the standard his set and I'm sure he'll get back to it. Maybe it was bleaching his hair or just the rest of the teams poor for being contagious. He will find himself again - he's young and rogers just needs to keep him focused on what he's good at no need to be too clever out there.

Basically played every match since we bought him. This good a player at 19yo taking on this kind of stress load and playing as well as he has. We'd be up shxt creek without a paddle without him.

Beautiful hair like his brother Caglar soon to be beside him on a regular basis. The future of Leicester City Football Club.

:fofana::soyuncu:We are so lucky to have them.

I still think Fofana is immense and going to be one of the worlds best, but he's definitely hit a slump of late and it's a shame - I do think his general defending is fine it's just he's on this pretty horrid run of making an error that's costing us every game. I've no regrets over previous things I've said about how good I think he'll be, but I suppose it's a bit of a reality check too. He can get there but isn't there yet.

FWIW the shouts of dropping him are a bit silly - we're already lacking numbers there, drop him for who? I want Fuchs rested at some point soon. It's no wonder he's gone downhill playing 10 games in a row at his age.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 2