Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Wesley Fofana: Signs For LCFC

Aggressive defenders are great most of the time but against the top players they will turn you and get you out of position. Just needs to learn when to go for it and when not too. Our best openings came from him winning the ball so can't complain too much. Just emphasised the panic and chaos that was our performance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not good tonight but neither was anyone else (bar Kasper).

He didn't know what to do with Mane. Didn't know whether to step in and tackle or step back and jockey. Either way Mane had the better of him all game. 

But, he's 19. This kind of game he'll learn a lot from. He's played a hell of a lot probably unexpectedly and he's been quality. 

He played against the best winger of the league. As you said he'll learn from it. I like him a lot, he's still rough, especially in his challenges but is very positive going forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not good tonight but neither was anyone else (bar Kasper).

He didn't know what to do with Mane. Didn't know whether to step in and tackle or step back and jockey. Either way Mane had the better of him all game. 

But, he's 19. This kind of game he'll learn a lot from. He's played a hell of a lot probably unexpectedly and he's been quality. 

Justin was quite good, not so sure about Kasper whose distribution was poor yet again. But onto Fofana, I agree that he's the type who will learn. Easy to forget he's just 19 with the showings to date which have outstanding. He wasn't helped by Marc this evening to be honest and he was exposed as a result. 

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex

Did well in the first half - surging run that led to the chance for Barnes. More challenging in the second, but given that he spent most of his time in his vicinity of Mane he didn't do too badly

1 minute ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Justin was quite good, not so sure about Kasper whose distribution was poor yet again. But onto Fofana, I agree that he's the type who will learn. Easy to forget he's just 19 with the showings to date which have outstanding. He wasn't helped by Marc this evening to be honest and he was exposed as a result. 

I meant that Kasper kept the scoreline from being embarrassing with some decent saves. One of those where he was let down by the players in front of him.

I may have been harsh on Justin, mind! 

• Like 1

As incredible as foffana has been and I admire his gusto to get up the field and start attacks today was not the day to try that even though the rest of the team needed that kickstart.

he was too easily beaten today and also misplaced passes. He has enough credit in my bank I’m gonna let this one go as for the rest of the muppets!

Quite harsh to say he was poor tonight - I'd say he actually had quite a good game. 

The flaw tonight was tactical - at first we were too narrow with both Wes and Albrighton dropping in - so Robertson got too much joy wide on the left. 

Then Albrighton shifted to go wider - so Mane began to really exploit that space between him and Wes. 

We lost the tactical battle today, and really missed both Castagne, for quality play down the right, and Ndidi, to allow us to push up the pitch a little more and still cover space in front of the defence. 

We will learn from this one. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A learning curve for the Fof tonight. Lesson 1 - don't step out of position to make tackles when you have Mane running the inside channel, and Robertson the outside channel on your side of the pitch.

He was caught out a few times tonight - not always his fault - but he's an exceptional talent and nights like that can only be positive for his development. That was the first time all season our defensive shape has been really pulled apart and everyone in the back line struggled for it.

• Like 2

Yes-   I think it is pretty much the general consensus that Fofana was bad last night but I have to say his self-belief impressed me,   he did not hide or shrink from his challenges and kept on trying to bring the ball out of the defence.   That is a mark of character for me but I agree I hope he would eventually learn to be less aggressive against better opposition and to be more smart.

• Like 1

We all bought into something a little too good to be true.  Desperate for another CB, we found a teenager with game reading to match his athleticism!  Ready to neutralize the best in the world from his very first day as a pro!  A miracle cure!!

Suddenly we’re shocked that he has mental errors in him.  Lunges and misjudged challenges which lead directly to goals.  Ball watching on set pieces. 

Flawless as he looks against lesser competition, we’ll have to accept that he’s a 19 year old learning a position that is the haven of wise old men.  Braga have good enough attackers to punish his mistakes, and Liverpool … yikes.

He’s still every bit as good an option as Evans or Cags, which is saying a lot.  I’m going to re-calibrate my expectations and enjoy watching him grow into greatness, even if he isn't quite there yet.  And we should get a couple of seasons to do so, because LCFC is the ideal place for him to maximize that growth.

• Like 3