Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lambert09

Praet on the right

I wish this thread was about someone in the stands, alas it is not :(

What did we think about Praet playing on the right side? He seemed a more narrow winger but imo looked far more comfortable out there than JM did on the wing. It can absolutely work if Timmy is there to provide the extra width. 

I’d prefer to not work with square pegs in round holes but the preferred option currently is just that (Perez) 

Should definitely be in contention out there for Sunday if Under is still not ready. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Not to belabour it, but (and you can check) I suggested Praet as an inverted RW last season, when he was clearly better than what was playing ahead of him and struggling to get on the pitch under Rodgers.  He's probably the most versatile player on the roster for starters, and seems to prefer the right, so there's no reason this shouldn't work.  And indeed, it has been.  He's not a true winger in the Jesus Navas sense, but he gives Castagne a lot of freedom because he can cut inside and let Timmy overlap, and is also good at proving defensive cover.  i.e. an inverted winger.

Praet is probably best as a #8 or advanced MF on the right, but if this position gets him on the pitch along with Maddison and Tielemans, I'm all in favor.  He needs to be starting every meaningful game, wherever you play him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mark said:

Just too slow to play there, against a top team it may work defensively but it just means majority our attacks will come from the left and we’ll be limited.

He's impressed me, I'm happy he's on the teamsheet, and I wasn't previously a fan, but I agree: I've never seen many burst of energy and speed. He looks like a solid central midfielder rather than a winger.

I just think he's such a quality player and has been somewhat underrated so far. Nice to see more of him this season.

I thought he was good on the right yesterday, so much so I thought he was Castagne on a couple of occasions lol 

I think as OP says, will be better when we have options that aren't square pegs, but he's a workhorse and I think he'd put a decent shift in anywhere we asked him to!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Agree with all of the above. In the last game, he was everywhere! In the middle, on the right and I swear I saw him on the left! Praet is industrious - exactly someone we need to do the dirty work next to Tielemans but who can also play football with intelligent runs and forward thinking passing. I really like him. Should be amongst the first on the teamsheet every week!

Rotate with Tieemans ? He seems to have one good game in three in my opinion.

I think against better more organised opposition it'll be an unwise move. A lot of the time their left midfielder or left back found a lot of space because Praet was in towards the middle and then Castagne had to deal with 2 players. There was one occasion where Youri had to fill in for both and track back quick to help stop their attack. 

With more talented opposition I can see it being taken advantage of. 

However, what it does give us is another formation and tactic to play with. Another option if others become unproductive. 

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Just too slow to play there, against a top team it may work defensively but it just means majority our attacks will come from the left and we’ll be limited.

Not quite sure on that; it gives Castagne more license than he may have with a Barnes type winger but Stan is right in its limitations 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

51 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think against better more organised opposition it'll be an unwise move. A lot of the time their left midfielder or left back found a lot of space because Praet was in towards the middle and then Castagne had to deal with 2 players. There was one occasion where Youri had to fill in for both and track back quick to help stop their attack. 

With more talented opposition I can see it being taken advantage of. 

However, what it does give us is another formation and tactic to play with. Another option if others become unproductive. 

This was very true last night. It meant the channel between Little Wes and Castagne was huge