Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

On 05/04/2021 at 17:54, Free Falling Foxes said:

We had a chap come around to quote for a conservatory on the back of our house. I lamented that it wouldn't get too much sun however except in the summer, when it'll get a bit of sun first thing in the morning and a little more in the evenings.

Why only in the summer he asked?

Because of where the sun rises and sets, I replied.

He looked at me really puzzled and said its the same all year round.

He really thought I was bonkers so I said yes, it rises in the east and sets in the west but at different points.

No it doesn't he insisted.

This is a fella in his early 50s and the owner of a major installer of windows and conservatories, so I assume he had some intelligence.

I went on to indicate where it rises and sets in relation to our house both in the middle of winter compared to the middle if summer.  That's why the daylight varies in length throughout the year I offered.

He left thinking I was completely of my trolley!

He builds conservatories, why would he understand the solar orbits of the planets in our solar system.

He'd probably install solar panels on the north side of house that gets little or no sun.

4 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

It's quite good to see the Politics Thread being deleted..

It just validates what @Facecloth was saying about trolling ruining it for everybody else.

It would have made more sense to just ban the troll.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, SemperEadem said:

Geoff was being a plum but to have it pulled down is way over the top.

I was being perfectly polite in my gentle replies to Facecloth.

1 minute ago, Buce said:

It just validates what @Facecloth was saying about trolling ruining it for everybody else.

It really doesn't. I engaged in polite conversation with Facecloth.

Just now, Buce said:

I'll probably get the blame for arguing. But I just want a thread where people can talk about politics without grown men actively trying to wind other posters up or take the piss. Not saying there can't be a laugh and joke, just no need for adding nothing to a thread but polls and wum posts.

• Like 3

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I was being perfectly polite in my gentle replies to Facecloth.

It really doesn't. I engaged in polite conversation with Facecloth.

Your trolling pre-dates today's discussion, as others have pointed out.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Not saying there can't be a laugh and joke, just no need for adding nothing to a thread but polls and wum posts.

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Your trolling pre-dates today's discussion, as others have pointed out.

Political polls add nothing to a political thread? Erm, okay then lol

WUM posts? A little misspelling of politician names is winding up? And who is it winding up?

What about when people post proper abuse at politicians in the thread, about how much they hate this one or that one, is that preferable?

Seems like a sledgehammer being used to crack a nut there. With a few exceptions, most posters on that thread are able to have a decent discussion and not resort to petty tit for tat rubbish or the kind of boring partisan clichés you see on social media.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

WUM posts? A little misspelling of politician names is winding up? And who is it winding up?

What about when people post proper abuse at politicians in the thread, about how much they hate this one or that one, is that preferable?

Come on. Most of the time they're pretty poor stimuli for a fresh discussion unless there's a particularly big swing one way or the other. Surely a journalist of all people ought to recognise that?

Posting a link to every single poll published just so you can tack it on to a one-man in-joke (on here) about someone's name doesn't add anything to the sum of human knowledge.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Look this thread will get shut too, so this is my last post on this. 

Your polls offer nothing at all. You only post when it looks good for your boys, you rarely back them up with any discussion. 

Well if its not to wind people up, why are you doing it? Plenty of posters have asked numerous times why you think it's so funny, but you can't or won't explain it, so what other reason is there?

Saying you dislike a politician and why is fine, it adds to debate rather than "Keith won't be happy with that lol" At least people are discussing the action of the politician and their policies. I'm not really sure what you think about Starmer other than  you can't spell his name.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just out of curiosity, and I remain polite as always, if polls offer nothing at all, why do pollsters do them regularly and newspapers and social media share them?

Voll Blau said it a few posts up. Posting them ever day just to make the same stupid name joke, (which you've still not explained why you find it so funny, deleted that part if the quote) offers nothing. Once a month or longer would suffice unless there's there's swing or change of lead.

And pollster post them because that's their job, but they rarely get talked about this far from an election or unless like I say there's big change.

Edited by Facecloth

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Posting them ever day offers nothing. Once a month or longer would suffice unless there's there's swing or change of lead.

Again I post politely, by that rule of thumb, should pollsters only share polls when there's a swing or change of lead?

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Again I post politely, by that rule of thumb, should pollsters only share polls when there's a swing or change of lead?

Pollsters aren't trying to stimulate discussion on a football forum or amuse themselves with banal jokes about a man's first name.

• Like 4

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

No, it's their job to post them all the time. But in terms of here and other places it adds nothing to the discussion. They have to share it, you don't, and like I say it adds nothing.

Bit like MOTD showing the league on day one. Completely pointless, most football fans don't care, but they still have to do it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Pollsters aren't trying to stimulate discussion on a football forum or amuse themselves with banal jokes about a man's first name.

Which he's still not explained why he finds it so funny.

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

If everyone is so against @UpTheLeagueFox posting polls, how come whenever he drops the ball and misses one, is it posted up by someone else and then he tagged in it? 
Answers on a postcard.

You'd have to ask the people that do it, but my guess would be a bit of piss taking. And tbf the ones I've seen are usually where there's a bit of a labour surge, which he's conveniently ignored.

Although I'm not sure I'm answering this when he still, two days later won't answer what he finds so hilarious about the Keith thing.

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

You'd have to ask the people that do it, but my guess would be a bit of piss taking. And tbf the ones I've seen are usually where there's a bit of a labour surge, which he's conveniently ignored.

Although I'm not sure I'm answering this when he still, two days later won't answer what he finds so hilarious about the Keith thing.

It is quite funny that it’s a Labour surge and then all of a sudden they are acceptable to be posted. 
Piss taking, also known as trolling and spoiling my enjoyment of the thread? :teehee:

People in glass houses......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1