Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

I always dreamed as a kid that one day I would be able to go into the newsagents and buy the whole box.I think it contained a hundred packets?Still not done it yet,though i did see this season’s book In Tesco’s the other day and it got me thinking.How much is a packet now?I can still remember the smell of the glue.I think I got my stickers after school on a Thursday.At one stage I think I had about 20 stickers of Simon Stainrod.Wonderful days.

It is 75p per packet now.  I think it was 30p or so when I was a kid twenty years ago.   

12 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I remember my mum going nuts at that Julie Walters Adrian Mole Leicester accent.Infact most of the main characters went with the Brummie tone.Only the lad who played Barry Kent got it more or less spot on and he may have been from Leicester anyway.

Exactly. Used to properly piss me off. Like portaying Manchester characters with Liverpool accents. Lazy and insulting

You're right about the Barry Kent kid. Seem to remember he actually came from Braunstone. The only note of authenticity in the whole thing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Manini said:

Certain words I agree, there are odd clues that give it away, it’s so strange because I imagine if you asked anyone else from other parts of the country they wouldn’t pick it at all it’s tiny details. It amazes my Mrs who’s from Yorkshire when I can pick an accent (not the obvious ones) from watching people on the Tv, she just doesn’t have an ear for it. The ones I find hardest to pick are Bristol/Norwich/Oxford/Ipswich, they all sound very, very similar despite being different parts of the UK. 

I ****ing love accents they absolutely fascinate me, as sad as that sounds. I wish I could have studied them academically and gone in to that sort of profession but who knows where to start with shit like that. 

Bristol's an interesting one. Used to have a girlfriend from there (Rovers fan), so developed a bit of an ear for what had until then seemed (to me) a kind of generic country accent. 

The way they pronounce words ending in 'er' as 'el' is distinctive. 'Eva Turner' (friend of her mother's) becoming 'Evil Tunnel.'

Also the way they say 'Bristle' for Bristol. 

Brilliant city, by the way. 

On 20/03/2021 at 23:22, Manini said:

Certain words I agree, there are odd clues that give it away, it’s so strange because I imagine if you asked anyone else from other parts of the country they wouldn’t pick it at all it’s tiny details. It amazes my Mrs who’s from Yorkshire when I can pick an accent (not the obvious ones) from watching people on the Tv, she just doesn’t have an ear for it. The ones I find hardest to pick are Bristol/Norwich/Oxford/Ipswich, they all sound very, very similar despite being different parts of the UK. 

I ****ing love accents they absolutely fascinate me, as sad as that sounds. I wish I could have studied them academically and gone in to that sort of profession but who knows where to start with shit like that. 

Woah there.

East Anglian is totally different from Bristol and the West Country. It's non-rhotic, so "bahn" instead of an Ian Holloway-esque "barrrn".

It's a bit of an annoyance to people here that we are often portrayed as having Cornish accents, see All the Kings Men for an example. Ralph Fiennes did a very good Suffolk accent in the Dig, not only the vowel sounds, but the intonation and rhythm too. Although he is actually from Suffolk, which makes the fact he had to study 3 months to perfect it rather amusing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Woah there.

East Anglian is totally different from Bristol and the West Country. It's non-rhotic, so "bahn" instead of an Ian Holloway-esque "barrrn".

It's a bit of an annoyance to people here that we are often portrayed as having Cornish accents, see All the Kings Men for an example. Ralph Fiennes did a very good Suffolk accent in the Dig, not only the vowel sounds, but the intonation and rhythm too. Although he is actually from Suffolk, which makes the fact he had to study 3 months to perfect it rather amusing. 

If I were to hear all of those one after another, I think I would be able to distinguish between the Bristol accent to be fair to myself. As Stoo pointed out above there is a difference between as you say a west country accent as opposed to an english "country" accent, which is what I believe the ones listed above would be classed as I suppose (although not sure of the origins or if that is even what it would be classed as but I've seen it referred to that before). I just find them very difficult to distinguish, I've often confused people from Oxfordshire with coming from somewhere in the south west - the ex chairman of Sunderland from the netflix documentary springs to mind. 

54 minutes ago, bovril said:

Woah there.

It sounds like you might be someone who knows the difference between a velar fricative and a bilabial plosive! One pronunciation that annoys me is 'with' said without the 'th' sound included. Another one is 'th' pronounced as 'v'. So 'with' becomes either 'wi' or 'wiv'. 

Just now, String fellow said:

It sounds like you might be someone who knows the difference between a velar fricative and a bilabial plosive! One pronunciation that annoys me is 'with' said without the 'th' sound included. Another one is 'th' pronounced as 'v'. So 'with' becomes either 'wi' or 'wiv'. 

One of my colleagues has a (semi-serious) theory that the th-fronting initially developed in London because Londoners lost their teeth due to poor water hygiene. 

4 hours ago, bovril said:

One of my colleagues has a (semi-serious) theory that the th-fronting initially developed in London because Londoners lost their teeth due to poor water hygiene. 

Re the 'th' digraph, it's so unlike t and h pronounced separately that it really merits its own letter of the alphabet, which is exactly what happened in Futhark, the Runic alphabet. Failing that, why not have 'th' as an extra key on a standard computer keyboard? Btw, Rune casting to help with making decisions is a load of old tosh! 

On 23/03/2021 at 13:54, Manini said:

If I were to hear all of those one after another, I think I would be able to distinguish between the Bristol accent to be fair to myself. As Stoo pointed out above there is a difference between as you say a west country accent as opposed to an english "country" accent, which is what I believe the ones listed above would be classed as I suppose (although not sure of the origins or if that is even what it would be classed as but I've seen it referred to that before). I just find them very difficult to distinguish, I've often confused people from Oxfordshire with coming from somewhere in the south west - the ex chairman of Sunderland from the netflix documentary springs to mind. 

They’re all just country bumpkins to you aren’t they?

lol

:fishing:

Edited by Strokes
Piss off blur
  • Haha 2

Ordered an internal door from Wayfair, because it was a strange size and that's the place I found one.

It's for a kitchen pantry.

The door arrived today. When we took it out of the packaging, there was a small hole in one side of the door.

As it's for the pantry, you wouldn't see the hole, but as we paid £70 for it, contacted customer service to see what they could do.

Explained the situation, said "give me 50% off and I'll keep it".

They offered me 9 quid off. I said no, send me a new door.

They told me my new door will be here Monday....

Then they said "is it OK if you dispose of the faulty door?"

Are they mental? They're now sending me out another door and letting me keep the door that I could still reluctantly use. At their cost.

How does that make sense????

• Like 1
  • Haha 3