Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

I went for my 1st dose of the vaccine earlier.

:scarf:

The Louisa Jordan (converted conference centre in Glasgow). You shuffle forward for a short time before they actually put stuff in your arm.

The guy directly in front of me during the big shuffle was wearing a "Proud Boys" Fred Perry black and yellow shirt. Greyhead, tight jeans, symbol of the American far right.

Wow. You don't wear that stuff by accident.

I really hope he got a person of colour doing his injection.  

Not because that medical practitioner would do anything other than medically treat him appropriately.

No, because it might, it just might, in that deep pit where that dude's conscience ought to be, stir a feeling that we are really all in this together, all of humanity, and he should perhaps leave his politics at home . 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

The Louisa Jordan (converted conference centre in Glasgow). You shuffle forward for a short time before they actually put stuff in your arm.

The guy directly in front of me during the big shuffle was wearing a "Proud Boys" Fred Perry black and yellow shirt. Greyhead, tight jeans, symbol of the American far right.

Not because that medical practitioner would do anything other than medically treat him appropriately.

No, because it might, it just might, in that deep pit where that dude's conscience ought to be, stir a feeling that we are really all in this together, all of humanity, and he should perhaps leave his politics at home . 

It should be enough that the center he got vaccinated in is named after this former Blue Peter presenter :thumbup:

BBB-Diane-Louise+Jordon-Photo.jpg

Edited by tom27111
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Did it have "proud boys" emblazoned across it?

Plenty of assumptions here. Maybe he just likes a fairly popular Fred Perry polo and is completely oblivious to what / who the Proud Boys are? 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Langston said:

Did it have "proud boys" emblazoned across it?

Plenty of assumptions here. Maybe he just likes a fairly popular Fred Perry polo and is completely oblivious to what / who the Proud Boys are? 

Unbelievable. 

Give over.  You don't sport what he was wearing without knowing what it is.

Sheesh.

:blink:

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Yeah I’ve just googled it and seen it. I’d never buy anything with a slogan or brand name that big anyway. But genuinely, I’d could have easily bought that (if it was remotely tasteful) and not been any the wiser to the connection.

• Like 1

You people crack me up.

If anyone is seriously suggesting that the bloke wearing the brand spanking new black and yellow Fred Perry polo shirt which I observed today had no idea of it's associations, they might need to accept that something like the following didn't hapoen:

Bloke In Glasgow:  "Oh boy, I really fancy a black and yellow Fred Perry polo shirt because I quite admire how it looks and for no other reason."

[Googles "Fred Perry black & yellow shirt". Sees page one of his search outcome]

Bloke in Glasgow: "Oh."

lol

Get real.

50 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Unbelievable. 

Give over.  You don't sport what he was wearing without knowing what it is.

Sheesh.

:blink:

People genuinely could though - they're not as prominent a group over here as you seem to think. It's an item of popular clothing and has always seemed to have been a very well worn colourway going back years and years. It's not a Swastika or a white hood. He *could* be an abject arsehole just as easily as he *could* have seen a shirt in a sale online or stumbled across it shopping.

Re: your other post about hypothetically Googling something you'd like to buy - if I was to Google "shirt y in colour X" it's very likely I'd just look at the Google shopping results and little beyond that.

We're fundamentally on the same side in that those Proud Boys lads are absolute weapons but I believe there are a multitude of reasons someone in Glasgow could be wearing that shirt and they don't all point to pre-meditated provocation or racist ideals.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

You people crack me up.

If anyone is seriously suggesting that the bloke wearing the brand spanking new black and yellow Fred Perry polo shirt which I observed today had no idea of it's associations, they might need to accept that something like the following didn't hapoen:

Bloke In Glasgow:  "Oh boy, I really fancy a black and yellow Fred Perry polo shirt because I quite admire how it looks and for no other reason."

[Googles "Fred Perry black & yellow shirt". Sees page one of his search outcome]

lol

Get real.

So every time you buy clothes you google them to make sure there are no political connotations? I have to say it wouldn't occur to me.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Beliall said:

i had no idea. i like polo shirts ,every chance either me or my wife would have bought that and i would have worn it with no idea what it supposedly meant. and i bet no one who saw me would too

There's barely a day goes by when I'm not wearing a polo shirt. I've only got 1 Fred Perry, my daughter's bought it for me a couple of Christmases back, it's not black and yellow, but if it was I'd still wear it.

Edited by Webbo
missed out the "not".
  • Like 1

I have a couple Fred Perry's, including the black and yellow polo, and wear it on nights out. No clue about it's political connection and pretty sure most people in the same nightclub wouldn't either.

1 hour ago, Vacamion said:

You people crack me up.

lol

Get real.

I’m not sure that’s how people shop tbh.

I think we are witnessing one of the biggest problems in society. 
People see something, take a picture (not in this case) add picture to social media - write about said picture with their own context and story and suddenly everyone loses their shit.

Anyone of us could have been that guy who is now being called a racist, he may well be, but like others have said, he might have just liked the polo, it may have been a present.

Was there anything else other than a black and yellow polo to suggest this bloke was racist? Did he say anything? Do anything? 
or did you decide to judge someone solely or what they were wearing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

So every time you buy clothes you google them to make sure there are no political connotations? I have to say it wouldn't occur to me.

That is not what I said.  

Way to utterly misrepresent what I said.  :appl:

I said if you shop online and search for that item in those colours, guess what comes up.

But you read what you wanted to read.

3 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

That is not what I said.  

I said if you shop online and search for that item in those colours, guess what comes up.

I wouldn't shop like that, if I was going to buy a Fred Perry shirt online I'd look at the website and see what I liked. Anyway, he might not have bought it on line.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

That is not what I said.  

I own a charcoal grey fred Perry polo with orange trim. Bought it 6/7 years ago. Still fits and hangs perfect.  And I'm aware, since then, the proud boys have commandeered the brand. 

Fck it. I had it first. Not those yank cnts. And I won't stop for a second choosing to wear something I had long before. 

Don't give in to the mob, pal. This fella may just like the style and won't have politics dictate what's right and wrong for him.