Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There absolutely is racism, it's shit and it needs to go. We should call people out for it, we shouldn't pussy foot around blatant bigotry and we absolutely shouldn't tolerate abhorrent opinions because we confuse freedom of speech with freedom from consequence.

However, the news sources, journalists, football clubs and players currently making a big deal over "online racist abuse" after every single football match currently are displaying a massive lack of awareness of the nature of the Internet. 

The more attention you draw to these trolls, the more they do it. That's how it works. By all means prosecute, take action, get them identified, banned from returning to stadiums, delete them from twitter, do whatever you want. But for fvck sakes stop publicising it. 

Every time I read an article on the BBC at the moment stating X footballer is angry with online abuse after a match I just sigh, knowing full well its going to happen again and again and again until they stop mentioning it. 

Sad but true.

A little off topic but a similar concept on the copycat effect - There was a study on the effect on the suicide rate vs stories in the media covering suicides. The rate significantly decreased when the media purposely reported fewer stories. Link below for anyone's who is interested:

https://jech.bmj.com/content/57/4/238

24 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Sad but true.

A little off topic but a similar concept on the copycat effect - There was a study on the effect on the suicide rate vs stories in the media covering suicides. The rate significantly decreased when the media purposely reported fewer stories. Link below for anyone's who is interested:

https://jech.bmj.com/content/57/4/238

Also see this iconic Newswipe bit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

There absolutely is racism, it's shit and it needs to go. We should call people out for it, we shouldn't pussy foot around blatant bigotry and we absolutely shouldn't tolerate abhorrent opinions because we confuse freedom of speech with freedom from consequence.

However, the news sources, journalists, football clubs and players currently making a big deal over "online racist abuse" after every single football match currently are displaying a massive lack of awareness of the nature of the Internet. 

The more attention you draw to these trolls, the more they do it. That's how it works. By all means prosecute, take action, get them identified, banned from returning to stadiums, delete them from twitter, do whatever you want. But for fvck sakes stop publicising it. 

Every time I read an article on the BBC at the moment stating X footballer is angry with online abuse after a match I just sigh, knowing full well its going to happen again and again and again until they stop mentioning it. 

Agree; it's, literally, lazy journalism.

Instead of stating who has been targeted for clickbait etc, why don't they try and stamp it out behind the scenes.

Repeatedly stating such incidents to the readers makes it appear as if it's just 'another one bites the dust' to those reporting it on their websites - as if they don't know how to combat it.

8 hours ago, Finnegan said:

The fact that it is literally impossible to police all of this stuff is scary in itself. I don't really want to think about where we are heading as a society when all over the world people are exposed to abusive content almost every day. 

13 minutes ago, bovril said:

I don't really want to think about where we are heading as a society when all over the world people are exposed to abusive content almost every day. 

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

and no I'm not talking about Geoff

sToP wItH tHe PaSsIvE aGgReSsIvE tRoLliNg lol

I actually think this is a bit of a strawman - there's not many people that actively *want* people to suffer, but there are many who are indifferent towards the suffering of others because they themselves suffered, and this could equally apply to them.

If suffering didn't teach a person empathy, then I don't think that person really "turned out fine".

FB_IMG_1617873896860.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I actually think this is a bit of a strawman - there's not many people that actively *want* people to suffer, but there are many who are indifferent towards the suffering of others because they themselves suffered, and this could equally apply to them.

If suffering didn't teach a person empathy, then I don't think that person really "turned out fine".

FB_IMG_1617873896860.jpg

Suffering is such a vague description and is used very broadly.

Do you want criminals to suffer the consequences of their actions etc.

Suffering hardship can harden people to consequences for themselves, so it’s natural they would feel the same hardening to others.

So unless you clarify what type of suffering you are referring to exactly and perhaps some examples, it’s difficult to to find any meaning to what you are getting at.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Suffering is such a vague description and is used very broadly.

Do you want criminals to suffer the consequences of their actions etc.

Suffering hardship can harden people to consequences for themselves, so it’s natural they would feel the same hardening to others.

So unless you clarify what type of suffering you are referring to exactly and perhaps some examples, it’s difficult to to find any meaning to what you are getting at.

Fair point, allow me to clarify.

By "suffering", I mean circumstances that can cause one to have a harder life, like not having much money, perhaps having a chronic illness, having a social situation that means that good access to education or getting a better paid job is very difficult. And most often I'm referring to such things that are (for the most part) out of the hands of those they affect.

And to use a very specific example of what I (and the Tweet) mean, the talking heads that you sometimes see online or in newspaper columns or on the TV saying that "Well, I had it hard, but I made it - you've got no excuse!" As if the world somehow has to be inherently cruel and unfair and it isn't possible for folks to make life easier for other people rather than implying that they have to struggle. If we can make life easier and mitigate problems for future generations (in whatever form they may arise) then we should try to do so rather than believing this ridiculous stoic social Darwinist ideal that suffering breeds character and that because humanity has always had it (quite) hard that it will always be that way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Fair point, allow me to clarify.

By "suffering", I mean circumstances that can cause one to have a harder life, like not having much money, perhaps having a chronic illness, having a social situation that means that good access to education or getting a better paid job is very difficult. And most often I'm referring to such things that are (for the most part) out of the hands of those they affect.

And to use a very specific example of what I (and the Tweet) mean, the talking heads that you sometimes see online or in newspaper columns or on the TV saying that "Well, I had it hard, but I made it - you've got no excuse!" As if the world somehow has to be inherently cruel and unfair and it isn't possible for folks to make life easier for other people rather than implying that they have to struggle. If we can make life easier and mitigate problems for future generations (in whatever form they may arise) then we should try to do so rather than believing this ridiculous stoic social Darwinist ideal that suffering breeds character and that because humanity has always had it (quite) hard that it will always be that way.

Aren’t we, humans, people who learn from errors and hardships. I think it’s a matter of how you interpret the message. I’d see that as inspiration to better myself, you see people who are well off that came rough backgrounds and it makes you realise that you can control your destiny ( to a point ). The world has suffering, sadly it always will and for some it’s inevitable and no amount of gifting and sharing will ever stop it.

We can only go as far as providing the tools for people to help themselves, if people continue to make bad decisions then it’s just life.

I think this country is pretty good at it, we provide decent education opportunities, a decent healthcare system, plentiful employment opportunities. There is little excuse for not making a reasonable life here with minimal suffering.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

FB_IMG_1617873896860.jpg

That tweeter is a bit of a nobber IMO 

7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Aren’t we, humans, people who learn from errors and hardships. I think it’s a matter of how you interpret the message. I’d see that as inspiration to better myself, you see people who are well off that came rough backgrounds and it makes you realise that you can control your destiny ( to a point ). The world has suffering, sadly it always will and for some it’s inevitable and no amount of gifting and sharing will ever stop it.

We can only go as far as providing the tools for people to help themselves, if people continue to make bad decisions then it’s just life.

I think this country is pretty good at it, we provide decent education opportunities, a decent healthcare system, plentiful employment opportunities. There is little excuse for not making a reasonable life here with minimal suffering.

Fair enough. IMO we don't have to rely on errors and hardships as our formative experience and while there will always likely be suffering it's something of a Nirvana fallacy - not to mention pretty ethically nasty - to not at least try to mitigate it going into the future rather than dismissing it merely as part of life and considering the status quo fair simply because of ones own personal situation. I'd certainly agree that supplying the tools is what's needed (a helping hand, but see below).

I'm thinking the UK is pretty good at it too (for the most part), but sadly the UK isn't the entire world and it tends to be the exception rather than the rule in this regard.

5 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

That tweeter is a bit of a nobber IMO 

He's expressing the point in a pretty nobby fashion tbh (to say nothing of the strawman), but he is highlighting a pretty key problem with humanity I think.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

He's expressing the point in a pretty nobby fashion tbh (to say nothing of the strawman), but he is highlighting a pretty key problem with humanity I think.

Maybe it’s too subtle for me Mac and perhaps I’m missing something but if you didn’t turn out fine I doubt that you’d  care what that twat thinks and if you did turn out fine it’s probably not rocket science to realise that someone who wants others to suffer is most likely not the sort of person to aspire to be. 

I hate this sort of preachy social media stuff. 

29 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Maybe it’s too subtle for me Mac and perhaps I’m missing something but if you didn’t turn out fine I doubt that you’d  care what that twat thinks and if you did turn out fine it’s probably not rocket science to realise that someone who wants others to suffer is most likely not the sort of person to aspire to be. 

I hate this sort of preachy social media stuff. 

It certainly isn't rocket science, but you'd be amazed how many folks get that wrong. Or practice indifference which pretty much amounts to the same end result and which the guy should have probably focused on rather than tilting at windmills, that I mentioned in my OP.

I know empathy is a finite resource and people have only so many spoons, but it would be nice to see more of it anyway. In fact, more than nice, there is a practical need for it too.

1 minute ago, Nalis said:

Dont know why but I really enjoy the fact that the ex players thread title of the thread 'Ex players - They used to play for us'. 

Some people might say that's something to do with you being Irish...

Not me, obviously.

20 hours ago, bovril said:

The fact that it is literally impossible to police all of this stuff is scary in itself. I don't really want to think about where we are heading as a society when all over the world people are exposed to abusive content almost every day. 

its not really though is it, if you have people verify there ID then it would stop it esp regarding social media

I don't want to spam the Prince Philip thread with more examples of this performative corporate idiocy. This is getting so ridiculous.

In keeping with the national mood, National Rail have decided to pay tribute to Prince Philip after his death.

The organisation thought it would be a good idea to honour the duke’s long life by ditching the colours on their website, instead turning it grey.

A nice idea, maybe. But, unfortunately, customers say they can no longer read the website – which is, let’s be honest, the only reason people visit the website.

https://www.indy100.com/news/national-rail-website-prince-philip-b1829967?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618215791

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

I don't want to spam the Prince Philip thread with more examples of this performative corporate idiocy. This is getting so ridiculous.

https://www.indy100.com/news/national-rail-website-prince-philip-b1829967?utm_content=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618215791

Another normal day on normal island.

• Like 1

Howard Webb has married a fellow ref, a German lass.

The report suggests that Webb will continue to live in NYC and she will live in Hanover.

Why would you get married to someone and live 3000 miles away from them? 

Screenshot_20210412-203011_Twitter.jpg

2 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Howard Webb has married a fellow ref, a German lass.

The report suggests that Webb will continue to live in NYC and she will live in Hanover.

Why would you get married to someone and live 3000 miles away from them? 

Screenshot_20210412-203011_Twitter.jpg

I don't blame her. Have you seen some of his decisions? Red flags...

• Haha 1