Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

For me (as a non Leicester person), its not shocking or awful, its just not that distinctive to my ear compared to up north, cockney or the west. How would most describe it? Very soft Birmingham influence combined with the home countries maybe?

Absolutely, most definitely not. I'd say, very watered down, South Yorkshire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nalis said:

For me (as a non Leicester person), its not shocking or awful, its just not that distinctive to my ear compared to up north, cockney or the west. How would most describe it? Very soft Birmingham influence combined with the home countries maybe?

I think the E Mids accent is highly distinctive to anybody not posessed of tin ears. 

There is really no resemblance to Birmingham or W Mids - possibly something to do with the Danish influence (mentioned above) which obviously persists in place-names (-by, -thorpe, -toft etc) but seems to have had a lasting effect on speech. 

And home counties?  Seriously? 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I think the E Mids accent is highly distinctive to anybody not posessed of tin ears. 

There is really no resemblance to Birmingham or W Mids - possibly something to do with the Danish influence (mentioned above) which obviously persists in place-names (-by, -thorpe, -toft etc) but seems to have had a lasting effect on speech. 

Edit - Never mind, I dont want to come across as a bellend or offensive to anyone's local tongue...

Edited by Nalis

Guest Bert Fill
2 hours ago, Stoopid said:

I agree, the East Mids accent isn’t like any others. Have to admit I can’t tell whether someone’s from Nottingham or Leicester though - at least unless I can see if their knuckles are dragging on the ground...

Guest Bert Fill
On 11/03/2021 at 15:14, Stoopid said:

Ok, I get it may be an acquired taste.I just happen to like it, that's all. 

Often maligned, but I think it has a directness and - often - humour that appeal to me. 

Also, it's not widely known or mimicked, and that helps to avoid the kind of self-parody some more obvious accents seem to bring. 

I like it too. I miss it, not having lived in Leicester for years now.

I’ve never heard anyone not from the East Midlands do the accent right. For some reason it seems impossible to put on - no idea why.

Just now, Bert Fill said:

I’ve never heard anyone not from the East Midlands do the accent right. For some reason it seems impossible to put on - no idea why.

Agreed - though I'd make an exception of Steve Coogan.  His Saxondale character had a pretty convincing E Mids accent. 

10 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Agreed - though I'd make an exception of Steve Coogan.  His Saxondale character had a pretty convincing E Mids accent. 

12 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Julie Walters being a serial offender. As in Adrian Mole and the film about Joe Orton. Doing her native brummie thing.Grrr. 

Remember that Paul Whitehouse thing where the nurse went round various character"s homes. She had a Leicester accent you could butter cobs with. But I looked her up, and it turned out she was from Leicester. 

21 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Julie Walters being a serial offender. As in Adrian Mole and the film about Joe Orton. Doing her native brummie thing.Grrr. 

Remember that Paul Whitehouse thing where the nurse went round various character"s homes. She had a Leicester accent you could butter cobs with. But I looked her up, and it turned out she was from Leicester. 

That ITV drama about Pitchfork too, Threlfall complete butchered it with a brummy twang as well. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

My friend thinks it's bizarre that you never see James Band go to the toilet. 

Tell your friend the films are only 90 minutes long and the audience would obviously rather see him spend 5 minutes chasing badies in his Aston Martin than taking a shit

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Tell your friend the films are only 90 minutes long and the audience would obviously rather see him spend 5 minutes chasing badies in his Aston Martin than taking a shit

His exact words were 'just once I'd like to see him having a really difficult shit, like REALLY struggling. Would be nice to have some relatability.'

He's a fascinating creature. 

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

His exact words were 'just once I'd like to see him having a really difficult shit, like REALLY struggling. Would be nice to have some relatability.'

He's a fascinating creature. 

It's not really your 'friend' though is it Ben.

It's you, isn't it :D

If you were on Saturday Morning Kitchen doing Food Heaven and Food Hell...

And you were allergic to nuts... (you might realise where I'm going with this)

And you were completely honest...

Would you risk saying nut roast?

Edited by Trav Le Bleu

4 hours ago, Manini said:

That ITV drama about Pitchfork too, Threlfall complete butchered it with a brummy twang as well. 

Because our accent is fairly non-descript. Bland and without the definitive vocal/vowel/guttural sounds of (excluding the likes of Wales and Scotland) Yorkshire, Lancs, Northumberland, Scouse, South West.

Those are easy to mimic. To mimic Gary Lineker's accent would pretty much encompass the East Mids and Leicester particularly, but I imagine it's very hard to get accurate. 

That kind of makes unique, I guess.

Maybe I notice because I'm from here but Leicester celebs  seem to make a big deal about coming from Leicester. Lineker, obviously OJ Borg when he fills in on radio 2 always seems to find a way to mention Leicester. Everybody knows Kasabian come from Leicester.

There's nothing obvious to be proud about coming from here, we're a pretty middle of the road city. Maybe it's a form of insecurity?

20 hours ago, Webbo said:

Maybe I notice because I'm from here but Leicester celebs  seem to make a big deal about coming from Leicester. Lineker, obviously OJ Borg when he fills in on radio 2 always seems to find a way to mention Leicester. Everybody knows Kasabian come from Leicester.

There's nothing obvious to be proud about coming from here, we're a pretty middle of the road city. Maybe it's a form of insecurity?

It’s no different to other areas. People who come from Manchester and Liverpool love to let you know about it too. It’s perceived that not much happens in middle England so I guess when people get the opportunity to put it on the map they take the chance with both hands. 

On 18/03/2021 at 17:24, Stoopid said:

I remember my mum going nuts at that Julie Walters Adrian Mole Leicester accent.Infact most of the main characters went with the Brummie tone.Only the lad who played Barry Kent got it more or less spot on and he may have been from Leicester anyway.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 20:44, Manini said:

Something endearing about the Leicester accent I think. Especially because, in my opinion, it’s pretty much the same for all of us, regardless of upbringing or wealth, status etc. I know people who grew up on council estates around Leicestershire and people who went to private school - the accent is exactly the same you can’t tell a difference whereas I think in other parts of the UK (Yorkshire and the South) you can.

Apart from Coalville (Co-Vill) - thats a totally different kettle of fish me duck.

Also not sure if this is the same for others who have moved away, but you can always tell a Leicester accent if you hear somebody on the TV or if you unknowingly speak to a stranger who is from Leicester. You can also tell it isn’t a Leicester accent if that makes sense, so you can often tell it’s Derby or Notts or Lincoln etc without knowing specifically which one, but you can always always tell if it’s Leicester. 

I find it very easy to suss out Leicester accents on female strangers even more so.They all sound like my sisters,friends and cousins.The way a Leicester girl says “Up” is so distinctive.

• Like 1

I have started collecting Panini stickers for Premier League album again for a laugh-  cannot believe how over bloated it is now compared to before.   The new features include star signing section with a star new signing for each club (Timmy for Leicester) ,  memorable moment sticker despite the fact the album is released in October so there is not much to choose from but lucky we have our 5-2 win over Man City.    There is also instagram handles for each player and best of all 'elite stickers'  section for the best player at each club (Vardy for Leicester)  with Brewester representing Sheffield United lol

There are some cool stuff to be fair-  all players have an interesting stat or fact about them on back of their sticker and there is a more squad focus as each team have a captain,  key player (Maddison for Leicester)  and two stand out players (Cags and Barnes)  so it is nice to see recognition for the whole team rather than focus being on star players.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I have started collecting Panini stickers for Premier League album again for a laugh-  cannot believe how over bloated it is now compared to before.   The new features include star signing section with a star new signing for each club (Timmy for Leicester) ,  memorable moment sticker despite the fact the album is released in October so there is not much to choose from but lucky we have our 5-2 win over Man City.    There is also instagram handles for each player and best of all 'elite stickers'  section for the best player at each club (Vardy for Leicester)  with Brewester representing Sheffield United lol

There are some cool stuff to be fair-  all players have an interesting stat or fact about them on back of their sticker and there is a more squad focus as each team have a captain,  key player (Maddison for Leicester)  and two stand out players (Cags and Barnes)  so it is nice to see recognition for the whole team rather than focus being on star players.  

I always dreamed as a kid that one day I would be able to go into the newsagents and buy the whole box.I think it contained a hundred packets?Still not done it yet,though i did see this season’s book In Tesco’s the other day and it got me thinking.How much is a packet now?I can still remember the smell of the glue.I think I got my stickers after school on a Thursday.At one stage I think I had about 20 stickers of Simon Stainrod.Wonderful days.

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

I find it very easy to suss out Leicester accents on female strangers even more so.They all sound like my sisters,friends and cousins.The way a Leicester girl says “Up” is so distinctive.

Certain words I agree, there are odd clues that give it away, it’s so strange because I imagine if you asked anyone else from other parts of the country they wouldn’t pick it at all it’s tiny details. It amazes my Mrs who’s from Yorkshire when I can pick an accent (not the obvious ones) from watching people on the Tv, she just doesn’t have an ear for it. The ones I find hardest to pick are Bristol/Norwich/Oxford/Ipswich, they all sound very, very similar despite being different parts of the UK. 

I ****ing love accents they absolutely fascinate me, as sad as that sounds. I wish I could have studied them academically and gone in to that sort of profession but who knows where to start with shit like that. 

Edited by Manini