Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

3 hours ago, jonthefox said:

Made another YouTube video the other day. TBH, I’m quite enjoying making them ( even if they are Sh!t). They’re certainly my remedy for lockdown boredom.

And I thought my life was dull :D

• Haha 1

The wife loves watching house programmes on the telly and this one was on BBC2 this week. Best house in town

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002jyv/episodes/guide

My attention was alerted when the episode featured our city and had various screen shots of landmarks (usual stuff... RIII, Guildhall, prison and even our wonderful home on Freeman's Wharf). However, the narrator said that people that come from Leicester are known as 'Ratae's'. Really? No one has ever called me a Ratae (not to my face, anyroad). 

Thinking about it, it's not that bad a name. Gives a nod to our historical roots and sounds a bit edgy. Think that I'll embrace it. Any other Ratae's out there? 

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The wife loves watching house programmes on the telly and this one was on BBC2 this week. Best house in town

My attention was alerted when the episode featured our city and had various screen shots of landmarks (usual stuff... RIII, Guildhall, prison and even our wonderful home on Freeman's Wharf). However, the narrator said that people that come from Leicester are known as 'Ratae's'. Really? No one has ever called me a Ratae (not to my face, anyroad). 

Thinking about it, it's not that bad a name. Gives a nod to our historical roots and sounds a bit edgy. Think that I'll embrace it. Any other Ratae's out there? 

The only context I've heard that term used is with reference to the biker gang.

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I've heard it before, it's not in common use though. Another one I've heard is "woolly back" in reference to the wool trade. Again a bit out dated. 

On 31/03/2021 at 09:26, Spudulike said:

The narrator said that people that come from Leicester are known as 'Ratae's'. Really? No one has ever called me a Ratae (not to my face, anyroad). 

There's currently one in my kitchen.

What am I gonna do????

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Staining Decking.....Composite Decking......?!?!?

The next person starting a thread about decking is going to get decked! :ph34r:

You should have seen the look on my friend from New Zealand’s face when I asked him for tips on how to look after my deck.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

You should have seen the look on my friend from New Zealand’s face when I asked him for tips on how to look after my deck.

I remember struggling to understand Kiwi vowels during my long-ago visit.

"Sex wine burgers and sex chups" translated as "Six Hawaiian burgers and six chips"? :blink:

Mind you, an Aussie could get in trouble over here, asking for some Durex to stick up a poster (Sellotape = Durex in Aus, as I recall?)

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Haha 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

"Sex wine burgers and sex chups" translated as "Six Hawaiian burgers and six chips"? :blink:

It is simultaneously the greatest and worst accent on the planet.

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Mind you, an Aussie could get in trouble over here, asking for some Durex to stick up a poster (Sellotape = Durex in Aus, as I recall?)

My cousin came from Australia a few years back. Bought some sandals and kept banging on about how comfortable her new thongs were.

• Haha 2

On 31/03/2021 at 09:26, Spudulike said:

However, the narrator said that people that come from Leicester are known as 'Ratae's'. Really? No one has ever called me a Ratae (not to my face, anyroad).

On 31/03/2021 at 09:54, Buce said:

The only context I've heard that term used is with reference to the biker gang.

Ratae is the old Roman name for Leicester.

The Ratae was used as a name for the Leicester 'Hells Angels' biker gang back in the 60's/70's I think, as pointed out by Buce.

16 hours ago, Rain King said:

My cousin came from Australia a few years back. Bought some sandals and kept banging on about how comfortable her new thongs were.

I recognize you aren't american hick but did ya? Lol i joke!  That is funny though.

53 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I'm really horny today, more then usual.

Need to drink more beer 🍺 I think

....Mrs Singh about to have a visit with a gyno Dr tonight...lol

• Haha 1