Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Ndidi or Mendy?

On 11/11/2020 at 18:45, Deeg67 said:

It's worth noting that Puel - who knows all the players involved very well - initially planned to pair Mendy with Tielemans rather than Ndidi, obviously feeling they were more compatible as a pairing.  It's only because Mendy got hurt in warmups before the Spurs game (Youri's first with us) that it never happened.

Sorry, but there's no evidence to justify such speculation, as Mendy was available and on the bench for the very next game against Palace (and subsequently). Instead, we were subjected to several Mendy-Ndidi pairings to disastrous effect. :cry:

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Sorry, but there's no evidence to justify such speculation, as Mendy was available and on the bench for the very next game against Palace (and subsequently). Instead, we were subjected to several Mendy-Ndidi pairings to disastrous effect. :cry:

Mendy was slated to start the Spurs match and injured in warmups.  It happened.  Puel was fired after the Palace game.  Anything that happened after Mendy's injury was Rodgers' call, not Puel's.

• Like 1

Mendy if we go 3-4-2-1 but if we want to get Barnes and Ünder in the team together and take games to teams then Ndidi allows us to play 4-1-4-1. Mendy obviously can be the DCM in that system too but I think he is better with a player alongside him rather than 2 ACM's pushed up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Mendy was slated to start the Spurs match and injured in warmups.  It happened.  Puel was fired after the Palace game.  Anything that happened after Mendy's injury was Rodgers' call, not Puel's.

Mendy was available for the subsequent Palace game, under Puel.

No need to belabor the point, but we lost the Spurs game and the team played poorly. Accordingly, if ever there was a time or reason to change personnel, the Palace game would have been it (yet, he even retained a woeful Ghezzal in the starting lineup). 

Edited by NaijaFox

5 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

Mendy was available for the subsequent Palace game, under Puel.

No need to belabor the point, but we lost the Spurs game and the team played poorly. Accordingly, if ever there was a time or reason to change personnel, the Palace game would have been it (yet, he even retained a woeful Ghezzal in the starting lineup). 

If memory serves, I seem to recall that the team played very well at Spurs.

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

That’s not my recollection. We made it tight at 2-1 late in the game, but ultimately a deservedly comfortable victory for Spurs.

Edited by NaijaFox

6 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

That’s not my recollection. We made it tight at 2-1 late in the game, but ultimately a deservedly comfortable victory for Spurs.

We did play very well that game I thought. We had been poor in previous weeks leading up to it and Spurs were, at that point, at the peak. We gave them a good match, they looked surprisingly poor but they got over the line.

What we didn’t know at the time was ultimately that was the end for that cycle under Poch, the next weekend at Burnley they lost and never recovered in the league until he was sacked. 

1 minute ago, deanolegend1989 said:

We did play very well that game I thought. We had been poor in previous weeks leading up to it and Spurs were, at that point, at the peak. We gave them a good match, they looked surprisingly poor but they got over the line.

What we didn’t know at the time was ultimately that was the end for that cycle under Poch, the next weekend at Burnley they lost and never recovered in the league until he was sacked. 

Obviously it’s all a matter of personal opinion.

However, they were up 2-0 and cruising, until Jamie scored midway/late in the 2H and things got interesting.

On 12/11/2020 at 01:34, Fktf said:

In emergencies owing to injuries, sure. I guess I was posting on the assumption everyone was fit.

Ideally, the middle cb is an experienced player in that position and leads the defence (ie Evan's or Morgan), and the outside cbs have the ability to bring the ball out from the back and/or pick a pass into players in space ahead (fofana and fuchs excel at both, justin and soy can run the ball out).

Ndidi could do a job in these positions, but wouldn't be as natural a fit compared to the other players.

They will be rotated like others have said if both fit, it will just mean less game time for Hamza in reality.

10 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yup.  We dominated them and missed numerous golden scoring chances with terrible finishing (Vardy started on the bench), and Vardy missed a penalty.  We also scored one of the most beautiful goals in club history, though it was too late.

On 13/11/2020 at 06:53, Ric Flair said:

Mendy if we go 3-4-2-1 but if we want to get Barnes and Ünder in the team together and take games to teams then Ndidi allows us to play 4-1-4-1. Mendy obviously can be the DCM in that system too but I think he is better with a player alongside him rather than 2 ACM's pushed up.

Which is why you can argue Brendan has tried playing Mendy and Ndidi together previously. Now he has found a way of utilising the abilities of those DMs and also Tielemans and Maddison without them getting in the way of each other, by dragging Youri back which balances the midfield with his link up play between Papy and Madders. We now have a perfect balance an an array of plans to use going forward depending on formation.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Fox42 said:

Which is why you can argue Brendan has tried playing Mendy and Ndidi together previously. Now he has found a way of utilising the abilities of those DMs and also Tielemans and Maddison without them getting in the way of each other, by dragging Youri back which balances the midfield with his link up play between Papy and Madders. We now have a perfect balance an an array of plans to use going forward depending on formation.

Yes, there's a very real possibility that we are a more robust and effective side with the majority of the personnel we have available now and the likes of Ndidi and possibly Soyuncu could cause a headache when they return. I really think in a back 3 that Fuchs is a hugely important player given we will have no out and out left sided wing back and Soyuncu playing LCB has never been the best use of him. It's going to be interesting what Rodgers does, I'm in no hurry for them to be rushed back right now. Ricardo and Castagne however would make this system very very dangerous.

Ndidi for teams that are going to be full on attack I.e. liverpool/man city/man utd/wolves so as to massively cut the ball out without overly worrying about where the next city player is around him

Mendy, still taking the ball at a rate below ndidi's but having the ability to play in and around it, to the rest of the PL teams. Ultimately with both fit then that would be unbelievable.

40 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes, there's a very real possibility that we are a more robust and effective side with the majority of the personnel we have available now and the likes of Ndidi and possibly Soyuncu could cause a headache when they return. I really think in a back 3 that Fuchs is a hugely important player given we will have no out and out left sided wing back and Soyuncu playing LCB has never been the best use of him. It's going to be interesting what Rodgers does, I'm in no hurry for them to be rushed back right now. Ricardo and Castagne however would make this system very very dangerous.

Agree...

What I would like to add, & basically what many Posters have already insinuated....We have Now purpose to our squad....

Mendy..has saved us millions..Add also Praets worth & Upgrade to a flexable midfield player, with tight Inside Wback possibilities.

most importantly...Justin & Thomas have proved they are Top PL FBs,and can adapt to WBack positions..

Albrighton, Fuchs just keeps delivering,covering again 2-3 positions...

Morgan comes in & can Cover Bline, for last 20 minutes & if needs be, the odd Full game,with Evans beginning to Pop up with niggling  inuries,

& then needing to give Fofana a break ( or injury), Soyu & Amartey coming from injury,Morgans added calmness is a big plus...

unlike some,I always rated Mendy & I believe, if he stays Major injury free,we can still get more than  3-5 quality seasons from him.

If  Ndidi also wants to stay, then with sensible rotation,we can compete consistently for top 4-6 ,with the additional burden of Europe...

10 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Ndidi for teams that are going to be full on attack I.e. liverpool/man city/man utd/wolves so as to massively cut the ball out without overly worrying about where the next city player is around him

Mendy, still taking the ball at a rate below ndidi's but having the ability to play in and around it, to the rest of the PL teams. Ultimately with both fit then that would be unbelievable.

I actually completely disagree with this. If anytime Mendy should be in the team it’s against the top teams where sitting back in numbers can work because we are playing teams who are keen to open up and attack us.

Vs lower teams then Ndidi should play 100% of the time. We are too defensive with Mendy and need an extra man to support him, Wilf could sit in a 4141 and we could attack with an extra forward guy. Vs the worse teams we play into their hands sitting deep.

Mendys best games have been vs the top opposition where he sits and adds a body which frustrates teams who are possession based and attacking like Arsenal and City.

Even under Puel his best games were in tough scrappy away games, we won away at Chelsea and Everton and home to City playing similar.

The problem is the lower games that require more creativity to win rather than sitting back. Ndidi is essential for these games and has to play over Mendy.

The 3 games after Liverpool away will be a huge test for us. Fulham(H) Sheffield Utd(A) and Brighton(H)..all games that we should be winning, probably the easiest run possible on paper. These are the type of games where I fear with Mendy and this back 5 formation. 4141 Ndidi the pivot and Under and Barnes supporting Vardy is the way to go if all fully fit in games like this. 
These teams won’t come out and if we don’t score early they will be awful scraps, anything less than 7 points(probably should be 9) would be poor here and I actually think it will be these games that show us up.

Is there any news on Wilf?   It's like watching an episode of 'Without a Trace'.  He got injured, a few noises about how long he will be out and then.............nothing.   Even BR appears to have forgotten he existed.