Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Ndidi or Mendy?

• 5 weeks later...

Mendy has gone back to being, well, ... Mendy!

The way he was playing a few weeks ago was in sharp comparison to recent performances, and against Everton he was absolute garbage, slowing everything down to a snails pace, passing sideways and backwards!!, I can't remember him making one positive driving run forward or a forward pass.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

The way he was playing a few weeks ago was in sharp comparison to recent performances, and against Everton he was absolute garbage, slowing everything down to a snails pace, passing sideways and backwards!!, I can't remember him making one positive driving run forward or a forward pass.

He’s loved on this site better not say that 🙄.

What I don’t understand is why bring that up vs Everton? He was awful but no worse than he was in the other games. He doesn’t tackle, intercept, win headers and offers nothing going forward like we’ve always known, we can’t go through the midfield when he’s there.

He was poor last night but he has been even worse in other games. West Ham , Villa, Liverpool, Fulham and Wolves he was actually worse. Everton didn’t go through our middle as much as James was out so his limitations wernt shown up as much defensively.

Ive targeted him a lot and not targeted Fuchs as much despite being past it. Probably because I have a soft spot for Fuchs for obvious reasons. However the reality is, these 2 are far below the standard of the rest of the team.

Can I just ask why his performance last night has suddenly made you come to that conclusion? Did you not see the Brighton game last season? Or all the games I mentioned above?

• Like 1

No Contest!

Ndidi is World class in his position! He has improved so much with the ball which is why I rate him so highly. He also looks forward and not backwards these days. The final part of his importance is his strength aerially. He looks very good in the air when we play him in Central defence and we need to give Evans and Fofana some help in both boxes as we are poor, especially with Kasper glued to the goal line regardless of how close it gets to the 6 yard box.

Mendy a very decent back-up and I am glad he signed another contract but he is no Ndidi!

7 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

What I don’t understand is why bring that up vs Everton? He was awful but no worse than he was in the other games. He doesn’t tackle, intercept, win headers and offers nothing going forward like we’ve always known, we can’t go through the midfield when he’s there.

He was poor last night but he has been even worse in other games. West Ham , Villa, Liverpool, Fulham and Wolves he was actually worse. Everton didn’t go through our middle as much as James was out so his limitations wernt shown up as much defensively.

Ive targeted him a lot and not targeted Fuchs as much despite being past it. Probably because I have a soft spot for Fuchs for obvious reasons. However the reality is, these 2 are far below the standard of the rest of the team.

Can I just ask why his performance last night has suddenly made you come to that conclusion? Did you not see the Brighton game last season? Or all the games I mentioned above?

You hate Mendy mate, if he saved your life you'd still want to c**t him off.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sm1 said:

There's no comparison. Ndidi is one of the finest CDMs in the world whereas Mendy is an average one. Mendy is a stop gap and has filled the void as best he can. I was amazed Brendan didn't play Ndidi in midfield and Morgan in defence yesterday. That would've allowed our midfield to play further forward. 

...it was a big dilemma, the attacking force that Everton carried was too great for the reliance of Wes Morgan, an aging CB with a back condition and his lack of mobility would have been a major factor..

Mendy is used as a functional player who plays in a metronomic way, no frills but effective in what he does. I still believe he can play and do a lot more in respect of positivity in the midfield but there has for sometime been a negativity in the way we utilise him and earlier in the season we saw the more effective play forward Mendy.

It seems like the mentality of the team ebbs and flows and affects the individual players, in turn stopping us from gaining any consistency as a team.

9 hours ago, sm1 said:

There's no comparison. Ndidi is one of the finest CDMs in the world whereas Mendy is an average one. Mendy is a stop gap and has filled the void as best he can. I was amazed Brendan didn't play Ndidi in midfield and Morgan in defence yesterday. That would've allowed our midfield to play further forward. 

Either Morgan still has a bad back or Brendan feels that his best before date has expired. Ndidi is top drawer and if healthy he starts !   Ndidi & Mendy do not work as a partnership & If Wilf starts Mendy sits.

I am wondering if Benkovic comes back in January & takes Morgans spot. We are hampering his career by leaving him at Cardiff.

14 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

And how did the other players play in the games you keep listing? Oh yeah most of them were shit. 

Please bore off with your agenda. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

100% right. I can not for the life of me understand still what he brings. No shots, no chances, very little forward play, just sideways and backwards passing. 

Ndidi and Mendy is like choosing between a Rolls Royce and an Austin Allegro. I have seen people on here even saying that Mendy is up there as the player of the season. Absolutely baffling. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, weller54 said:

Or is that down to the job he's been asked to do? Tielemans, however good he is is hardly the man for an aggressive fight in midfield. Ndidi, Mendy, Tielemans, Praet and even Choudhury are all decent midfielders but they do all have their strengths and weakness. Ndidi is admittedly just imo the first name on the sheet though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

100% right. I can not for the life of me understand still what he brings. No shots, no chances, very little forward play, just sideways and backwards passing. 

Ndidi and Mendy is like choosing between a Rolls Royce and an Austin Allegro. I have seen people on here even saying that Mendy is up there as the player of the season. Absolutely baffling. 

Is that what you want from a defensive mid?

Because you will be shocked to find out Ndidi doesn’t do these either (well he shoots but they usually end up closer to the corner flag or nailing someone in row Z)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Because you will be shocked to find out Ndidi doesn’t do these either (well he shoots but they usually end up closer to the corner flag or nailing someone in row Z)

I want more impedance - a curious new word which appears to be an oxymoronic portmanteau of impetus and impotence... 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Absolutely spot on! Are you new to this site? I’ve been saying this for about a year now and he gets defended on here like he’s prime Kante, Viera and Keane rolled into one.

I can tell you what he brings though, absolutely nothing.

Funny thing is whoever I chat to in real about it thinks the same it’s just on here there’s a few fan boys who stick together. I even heard ‘it’s a tough decision to drop Mendy when Wilf comes back’ ‘it’s a selection headache Wilf or Mendy’ and even ‘id rather have Mendy than Kante’ 🤣.

The only headache is watching him in that midfield following his shadow doing absolutely nothing every game.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Babylon said:

And how did the other players play in the games you keep listing? Oh yeah most of them were shit. 

Please bore off with your agenda. 

He is the main reason. You can stay in denial about it but it’s as clear as day. Him and Fuchs should never play for us ever again, if we have any ambitions of top 6+.

Ndidi is on a different planet, however to the people throwing lazy cliches like ‘he’s cover’. No he’s not . He’s limited and holding us back. If Ndidi is injured put Praet there with Tielemens.

If Ndidi and Praet are both injured, then put Hamza there.

If all 3 are injured, bring dewsbury-hall back from his loan.

If all else fails, get Kolo Toure some boots.

Not sure how many more performances like that need to happen to realise he’s way off the standard, but one day soon BR will realise and we’ll never see him again thank god.

2 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Absolutely spot on! Are you new to this site? I’ve been saying this for about a year now and he gets defended on here like he’s prime Kante, Viera and Keane rolled into one.

Funny thing is whoever I chat to in real about it thinks the same it’s just on here there’s a few fan boys who stick together. I even heard ‘it’s a tough decision to drop Mendy when Wilf comes back’ ‘it’s a selection headache Wilf or Mendy’ and even ‘id rather have Mendy than Kante’ 🤣.

The only headache is watching him in that midfield following his shadow doing absolutely nothing every game.

Not new, just have been trying to keep out of the debate about Mendy, however you keep getting shot down for making valid points so thought I would put my opinion in too.  He has had a couple of good games this season and has looked better than previous seasons but seriously, he is no where near top level player. 

There is a case of him having some value against the bigger teams who come on to us but when we play defensive minded teams we are just carrying a player who does the square root of nothing.

7 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Tbf I think Fabinho is the best defensive midfielder in the league and he's a very technical player too. Someone posted our top assists in the PL era recently, as Vardy is near the top now, and Neil Lennon was on the list.

Some holding midfielders are also good midfielders. People refer to Roy Keane as a hard man but he was a good footballer lets not forget (I suppose he was more box to box though?).

I think Ndidi is our best defensive midfielder, but I also always think he lacks the basics at times. I think Mendy is better on the ball (I don't think Ndidi would have done that turn Mendy did at Man City away earlier in the season which started the move for one of our goals).

Edited by Fox92

8 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Not new, just have been trying to keep out of the debate about Mendy, however you keep getting shot down for making valid points so thought I would put my opinion in too.  He has had a couple of good games this season and has looked better than previous seasons but seriously, he is no where near top level player. 

There is a case of him having some value against the bigger teams who come on to us but when we play defensive minded teams we are just carrying a player who does the square root of nothing.

That’s fair enough, I think it’s because people don’t like to admit when they are wrong. It’s definitely a case of only on this site a fair few seem to worship him.

People I speak to in real life, both Leicester fans and other fans, all seem to have no idea why we play him and he offers nothing.

I have constantly tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but for me it’s too clear to ignore, we are miles better without him and he doesn’t offer anything.

As you say, the only possible moment he can work in a team is when we are playing vs possession based teams and we don’t have to force the game, then he can just get in the way. However, If we are drawing/losing in a game he’s a waste of a player and makes it really hard to go through the midfield.

Vs Everton, so often we had Ndidi or Fofana on the ball and they looked through the middle and Mendy just doesn’t really do anything but trot around. You can see our boys on the balk know they can’t go through him and it also nullifies both Madders and Tielemens when we then constantly knock it wide to Justin or Barnes.

Its infuriating and I was so happy when I saw Ndidi in for him vs Brighton. I was more confident than any game all season. We then play one of the most comfortable wins all season and I’m thinking ‘finally!’.

Then I hear about Evans suspension and prayed he puts Morgan in instead of this stupid moving off our midfield general and put Mendy back in, I knew we were in trouble.

If we left Wilf we’d of coped better with Doucoure and Allan and also Morgan would of helped us aerially vs DCL and Everton in general are quite tall and physical.

I thought that decision was ****ing asinine as usual and cost us the game.

Fuchs shouldn’t get away with the blame too, he’s so far past it , he shouldn’t be playing. Him and Mendy should not play a single minute for us if we can help it. How an earth Mendy gets in over Hamza, let alone Praet is barking mad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

It seems to me that any hyperbole is coming from your little corner of the interweb.  We all have our favourites and those we don't rate but you're almost evangelical in your Mendy bashing.

Mendy has done an admirable job stepping in for Wilf and has helped us to get off to a great start.  We were fortunate that he re signed and we would have been in trouble without him.  Think about it, would we be sitting top four after a third of the season carrying a passenger at the heart of midfield?

I think you have a blind spot with Mendy.  I used to have one with Shinji.  It took me at least a year before I came to accept that this non-scoring, non-assisting striker was actually a vital cog in the machine.  Don't ask me to explain how though.

I think that Mendy has one advantage over N'Didi in that he is a little better on the ball, hence this thread perhaps.  Since Wilf has returned though, it reminds me that he is another level above Mendy, but we should be grateful we have both.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, moore_94 said:

He's still managed to score 8 goals for us (by way of some perspective, forward Demarai Gray has scored 13 having played in more games).

• Like 1