Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Ndidi or Mendy?

It is crazy how this is being discussed. Not because it shouldn't be, it it is a very interesting question. Mendy has become one of the first names on the team sheet. He is one of those guys who makes other players play. Tielemans and Praet have been allowed to look forward.

Right now, I wouldn't drop Mendy but with the tight schedule, Ndidi will get a run of games at some point when he returns.

Another question is how Cags and Ricardo fit in on their return. Brendan is going to need those paracetamol, Maddison recommended.

37 minutes ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

Full credit to mendy, i was one of his biggest critics. Having an excellent season, but be real ndidi is on another level defensively. Mendy’s engine is amazing tho non stop. 

I used to groan whenever I saw his name on the team sheet, and then I'll have a long text conversation with my dad that resembled the coming of the apocalypse. Now, I'm always pleased to see he's playing. Fair play to him and the coaching staff for his transformation 

Not going to be an issue for quite a long time. Ndidi won't be fit until the new year then we'll see him gradually introduced over a number of weeks from the bench, and feature in Europa and FA Cup.

Who knows what the situation is likely to be by mid Feb. If we are still near the top there won't be many changes made to key positions in league matches.

• Like 1

Both are quality. We’d be lucky to have either and we’ve got both of them. 

you start looking at what our full strength defence could be, and then our full strength midfield, and then Vardy. Well damn if we haven’t actually got one of the best teams in the league. It’s really quite amazing. 

ive always championed Mendy. Always saw a good player in him, but he’s showing now that he’s better than good. He’s outstanding. So is Wilf. 

we will need them both this campaign. Room for them both within rotation. Just be thankful for that and don’t worry about who is better. Most teams would like either of them. Enough said. 

• Like 2

There's ample room and use for both in the squad. It can be very unnecessary and divisive to pick an outright best player because in this particular case, it's like comparing apples to oranges, they both have different attributes, it's not a competition. Rodgers, when both are fully fit will now, having seen both fully at their best, will hopefully pick whoever, on a game to game basis dependent upon the opposition like any other position on the pitch where we may have different options. We're just so fortunate to have both of them. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bazly said:

Mendy struggles to punt forward and has no goals in him. Ndidi can pass forward and has a few goals in him. Ndidi is also the leagues top tackler. So, let me think on it a while longer.

As much as I like N'didi, this is a puzzling argument.

N'didi's shooting is horrific and it's Mendy's sharp passing that has led to this thread's existence. Mendy is far superior in the passing department.

All of that said, I'm on the fence. N'didi is peerless as a stopper. Like, worldwide. But how can you drop Mendy in his form? With our results, why fix what isn't broken?

If I was manager I think I'd wait until there was something to fix before making the change. But if we keep up our recent form I'd be keeping our midfield exactly the way it is for the big Premier League games.

In all actuality the inevitable solution is rotation, given the hectic schedule. If we keep winning I'd rather continue to see Mendy in our league games. That's a big if, though.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

As much as I like N'didi, this is a puzzling argument.

N'didi's shooting is horrific and it's Mendy's sharp passing that has led to this thread's existence. Mendy is far superior in the passing department.

All of that said, I'm on the fence. N'didi is peerless as a stopper. Like, worldwide. But how can you drop Mendy in his form? With our results, why fix what isn't broken?

If I was manager I think I'd wait until there was something to fix before making the change. But if we keep up our recent form I'd be keeping our midfield exactly the way it is for the big Premier League games.

In all actuality the inevitable solution is rotation, given the hectic schedule. If we keep winning I'd rather continue to see Mendy in our league games. That's a big if, though.

Not sure that's what we are looking for from that position/role.

As Mendy does not shoot at all, and has 0 goals since he's been here.

2 hours ago, KFS said:

Imagine if you could merge the two...

It’s definitely not two together. Puel tried it and it was awful. They got in each other’s way and we kept conceding long range goals because of it.

Says more about Puel than the players

the problem isnt if they can play together, its who do you drop to fit them in

Vardy

Maddison                           Barnes

Youri         Mendy
                        Ndidi

Back 4

i dunno. can we just have an extra player?

7 hours ago, Red Squirrel said:

Not going to be an issue for quite a long time. Ndidi won't be fit until the new year then we'll see him gradually introduced over a number of weeks from the bench, and feature in Europa and FA Cup.

Who knows what the situation is likely to be by mid Feb. If we are still near the top there won't be many changes made to key positions in league matches.

Yeah my thoughts exactly, Wilf is the one injury we haven’t heard a lot about. Looks like we are taking our time on this occasion with him 

5 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Whatever happens, Mendy's second coming has put me way more at ease if vultures come circling for Wilf in the summer.

I was thinking about this as well, great minds etc.

It also applies to Cags and Little Wes, and arguably Ricky and Timo. Not that I think they will all go, of course.

People really have short memories.

Wilf is 23 been here since he’s 19 ,played over mendi for four years and numerous managers.

Wilf is more physical, better in the air more mobile. 
Mendi is keeping it warm for Wilf , statistically one of the best midfielders in Europe. 
Wilf for me . Mendi has done well but Wilf is special . Who many many teams will chase if available.  

Edited by crisp packet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, crisp packet said:

People really have short memories.

Wilf is 23 been here since he’s 19 ,played over mendi for four years and numerous managers.

Wilf is more physical, better in the air more mobile. 
Mendi is keeping it warm for Wilf , statistically one of the best midfielders in Europe. 
Wilf for me . Mendi has done well but Wilf is special . Who many many teams will chase if available.  

I agree with just about all of that - especially in regards to Wilf’s many superior attributes.

There for me is just one problem.

Look at the way we have been playing with a DCM that can hold, pass (forward and not just lay off) have skill on and create space off the ball.

In terms of movement and with ball at feet Mendy is an entirely different level to

Wilf.

We need both for different situations and styles of set up.

• Like 4

Different types of players who play in same approximate location, and Mendy is calm and more skilful whereas Wilf is more an all action, defensive dynamo.

Both extremely useful.