Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hack

Closest season for many years

Can anyone remember a season as close as this one is with so many teams in contention. I have looked back at the last 20 years and can't see one that has the top 9 teams that are or could be within 1 point of the top considering games in hand.

We are having a very good season but so are teams like Everton Aston Villa and Southampton plus the usuals like Pool Man U etc. 

I think it is great for the league. Would love us to keep the form up and start to separate us in the top group, who ever that will be. 

A run of poor for any team can drop you out of the race real quick. Every game has enormous implications for everyone. 

There's been a few seasons where a low points total was needed to win the league. United only needed 69 points in 96/97 and I think it'll be something similar this season. One of the teams in the top half will put a run of 6 or 7 wins on the bounce and I think that is all it will take. Hopefully that can be us as I think we've got the deepest squad, given all the injuries others have atm. 

3 hours ago, Hack said:

Can anyone remember a season as close as this one is with so many teams in contention. I have looked back at the last 20 years and can't see one that has the top 9 teams that are or could be within 1 point of the top considering games in hand.

We are having a very good season but so are teams like Everton Aston Villa and Southampton plus the usuals like Pool Man U etc. 

I think it is great for the league. Would love us to keep the form up and start to separate us in the top group, who ever that will be. 

A run of poor for any team can drop you out of the race real quick. Every game has enormous implications for everyone. 

It is a lot closer which, on the face of it appears quite good but, is that because all teams are equalling out and playing better or are they merely as poor as each other? Is Brendan, Klopp, Mourhinio or any other manager doing a great job or, are their teams, wherever they are in the table, merely there due to the inconsistency of others and despite their managers efforts? Are some managers getting an easier ride because regardless of their own poor performances, other teams falter?

There have been some great levellers this season as have never been seen before, from an incredible number of injuries or illness effecting most squads to zero crowds which have seemingly effected things like home advantage. 

The mere statistics of the table suggests exciting competition but, and it's only a personal view, the actual football on show for me is a shadow of it's former self with the odd exception and perhaps that's there's to be expected or, is there more to it than just the pandemic. I remember years ago being an avid follower of Italian football which subsequently became ultra tactical and slower paced, gradually losing it's former spectacle and appeal. Whilst ours clearly hasn't got to that same level, have we started to follow a similar route of more just making sure that we don't lose as opposed to trying to win? My son for example says that with the obvious exception of Leicester, he finds himself watching more Bundesliga football now rather than the Premiership than he used to because he finds it more entertaining, I can't comment because I haven't as yet watched any.

The table for me looks exciting but for me the actual football, for the most part, has been fairly dull and uninspiring. I'm hoping that this is merely due to the extreme circumstances we and subsequently football find ourselves in. There's also possibly an essence of personal malaise from merely watching canned football instead of the live spectacle. 

Edited by volpeazzurro

1 hour ago, shailen said:

There's been a few seasons where a low points total was needed to win the league. United only needed 69 points in 96/97 and I think it'll be something similar this season. One of the teams in the top half will put a run of 6 or 7 wins on the bounce and I think that is all it will take. Hopefully that can be us as I think we've got the deepest squad, given all the injuries others have atm. 

This season, the points total isn't low its just because so many teams are all performing quite similarly, as it stands its looking like 4th will require over 75 points which is unusual!

It's the random results on any given game week which makes it closer and exciting. I hope it continues until the final weeks of the season. 

You've had Liverpool draw with Fulham, Newcastle and West Brom very unexpectedly then lose to Southampton. 

Our own odd unexpected results both ways. 

Chelsea who can't beat a bottom half side. 

Arsenal being Arsenal. 

Man City dropping points before realising they need to defend and now looking in contention. 

Everton after all their transfer window spending each year appear to look somewhat decent and competitive. 

Spurs being a 2-man team and profiting from it. 

Villa somehow ticking over and picking up results while playing well too. 

Southampton still reaping the rewards of finding themselves after the 9-0 game. 

There's 5 teams in 26 points which is unheard of nearly halfway through the season (as in that many teams level, not necessarily specifically 26). It just makes it much harder to predict. I think it's emphasised both ways of how starkly better Liverpool have been over the 2 seasons and how Covid-19 and scheduling has had a huge impact in getting teams closer to them. Mid-Jan and Man Utd could have a chance to go top if they win in midweek, ironically just before they play Liverpool. 

I can't remember a time it was this close and remained so at this stage. Also hope it continues but it goes to show if you can win a few and get some consistency you could pull away. I think it was only up to a few weeks ago that no side in the league had put together a run of more than 4 wins on the trot. Obviously hope that it ends up being us putting a decent run together but if it's not and we remain competitive and still in the mix I don't mind. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This season, the points total isn't low its just because so many teams are all performing quite similarly, as it stands its looking like 4th will require over 75 points which is unusual!

If you were to extrapolate Liverpool's current points total, they will finish on 75 points. I think no team can now finish on 100 points even if they win all their games so I can only see it being a low points total. I highly doubt four teams will finish on 75 points or more. 

2 hours ago, shailen said:

Just checked and Man U got 75 points that season with the next 3 teams on 68 points. We could be looking at something similar this time but personally I expect Man City to pull clear. They're coming into form and have a pretty simple run of fixtures coming up over the next couple of months. I'm not getting wrapped up in title talk, just want us to qualify for Europe ie finish top 6 (not keen on going into that new third tier competition by finishing 7th).

Edited by Sunbury Fox

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just checked and Man U got 75 points that season with the next 3 teams on 68 points. We could be looking at something similar this time but personally I expect Man City to pull clear. They're coming into form and have a pretty simple run of fixtures coming up over the next couple of months. I'm not getting wrapped up in title talk, just want us to qualify for Europe ie finish top 6 (not keen on going into that new third tier competition by finishing 7th).

I know they have a huge squad but I do wonder how much fixture congestion later in the season will have an impact. And perhaps not just for Man City. And that's on the basis there's no further postponements which is by no means a guarantee. 

I reckon it’s also a consequence of 3 of the so called top 6 having inexperienced managers, Lampard, Arteta & Solskjaer. Man Utd have picked up, Arsenal have to a small degree but overall they flatter. Lampard is seemingly on a tightrope & could get sacked at anytime. 

39 minutes ago, shailen said:

If you were to extrapolate Liverpool's current points total, they will finish on 75 points. I think no team can now finish on 100 points even if they win all their games so I can only see it being a low points total. I highly doubt four teams will finish on 75 points or more. 

Yes but if you extrapolate the other clubs around them its similar too which surely cannot continue. I imagine Man City will turn the screw and win it on about 83 points, but I can still see 4th requiring way more points than last season and top 6 too, so we need to maintain a similar average points for the rest of the season.

4 hours ago, shailen said:

54 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Seems like any team who goes on a run of 9 wins out of 10 will go on to win it. Looking at the fixture list until March and watching form that seems like it could be Man City.

42 minutes ago, weller54 said:

We won the title with 81 points..

Arsenal 71

Bottlers 70

I can see the title being won with a similar total this season and I think that will be Manchester City.

I fancied LIverpool but Man C have a run of "easier gams " coming up . I am hopeful we can keep in touch for a top 4 finish and certainly think its possible. We've certainly done well to be where we are. Its taken a lot of effort to get here and I would hate to see us waste it again. Despite my optimistic posts I don't think we are ready yet to do well in the ECL even if we do make it. Given the state of the aviation industry I don't think its realistic to expect the owners to be pouring money into the club for new players at this stage but we may have enough resources within the club. Does anyone know? With one or two exceptions we seem to have bought very wisely to me and I presume the scouting and recruitment and manager deserve the credit for this.

Imo selling Mcguire for Soyuncu, Fofana, Castagne and Under was very good business. Mahrez was a big loss but probably unavoidable. JV is wearing very well and like Kasper such a credit and morale booster for us and I'm hoping that Barnes Justin ,Thielemans and Thomas along with the other 4 I mentioned together with Jonny Evans, Madison, Ndidi, Mendy, and the rest of the squad can keep us strong for a couple more seasons with what we have. Thats largely down to Brendan Rogers and IMO he's well capable of that, looking at whats now happening at Celtic and comparing it with LCFC. Keep lucky Foxes.

Edited by Alan Frost
Grammar,spelling

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm personally not too sure about Man City this season. They've made the mistake of letting Kompany, Silva and Yaya go without replacing them with players of equal qualities. They're in good form at the moment but reckon they'll be too inconsistent other the space of a season to pull clear. They'll be up there no doubt but personally I can't see them pulling clear. 

As for us, I think we've got to be the team that consistently picks up results to be in the equation. I don't think we're capable of winning 7 or 8 on the bounce (although we won 11 in a row last season) so if we can average 2 points a game from now on we'll definitely be there or thereabouts. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Yes but if you extrapolate the other clubs around them its similar too which surely cannot continue. I imagine Man City will turn the screw and win it on about 83 points, but I can still see 4th requiring way more points than last season and top 6 too, so we need to maintain a similar average points for the rest of the season.

I personally think they'll be 10 to 15 points between the top 10 this season so it will be very tight as teams will beat each other. One team will turn the screw and they'll win it but I'm not personally sure it'll be Man City. I reckon Man Utd have a better chance as their squad is starting to look like it's clicking despite the result in the league Cup midweek, and they've got some real match winners now, who can turn it on in games they're playing terribly in. 

30 minutes ago, shailen said:

I personally think they'll be 10 to 15 points between the top 10 this season so it will be very tight as teams will beat each other. One team will turn the screw and they'll win it but I'm not personally sure it'll be Man City. I reckon Man Utd have a better chance as their squad is starting to look like it's clicking despite the result in the league Cup midweek, and they've got some real match winners now, who can turn it on in games they're playing terribly in. 

Nothing personal but I do hope you're not right. I don't hate any club but Man U. are certainly not my favourite team .They had some things I liked a lot Best ,Cantona ,Law, Crerand (for all their faults) but Ronaldo, Rooney, the Nevilles, Scoles,Giggs and a few others more than balanced my totally illogical likes. Ferguson was also a great manager but I never went much on him either. 

Edited by Alan Frost

2 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

I fancied LIverpool but Man C have a run of "easier gams " coming up . I am hopeful we can keep in touch for a top 4 finish and certainly think its possible. We've certainly done well to be where we are. Its taken a lot of effort to get here and I would hate to see us waste it again. Despite my optimistic posts I don't think we are ready yet to do well in the ECL even if we do make it. Given the state of the aviation industry I don't think its realistic to expect the owners to be pouring money into the club for new players at this stage but we may have enough resources within the club. Does anyone know? With one or two exceptions we seem to have bought very wisely to me and I presume the scouting and recruitment and manager deserve the credit for this.

Imo selling Mcguire for Soyuncu, Fofana, Castagne and Under was very good business. Mahrez was a big loss but probably unavoidable. JV is wearing very well and like Kasper such a credit and morale booster for us and I'm hoping that Barnes Justin ,Thielemans and Thomas along with the other 4 I mentioned together with Jonny Evans, Madison, Ndidi, Mendy, and the rest of the squad can keep us strong for a couple more seasons with what we have. Thats largely down to Brendan Rogers and IMO he's well capable of that, looking at whats now happening at Celtic and comparing it with LCFC. Keep lucky Foxes.

McGuire will never get into the Scotland team on his current form.

2 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Nothing personal but I do hope you're not right. I don't hate any club but Man U. are certainly not my favourite team .They had some things I liked a lot Best ,Cantona ,Law, Crerand (for all their faults) but Ronaldo, Rooney, the Nevilles, Scoles,Giggs and a few others more than balanced my totally illogical likes. Ferguson was also a great manager but I never went much on him either. 

I hope not too. But sadly I think they've grown as a squad with the likes of Rashford, Bruno, Martial, Pogba now starting to show their class consistently. I hope I'm wrong but I think they look best placed personally for the title. However a couple of injuries could change that quickly.