Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
hejammy

Whatsapp/Facebook

So with all the controversy regarding WhatsApp and its change in privacy policy to allow sharing of data with Facebook I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were? Will you delete WhatsApp and move over to Signal or Telegram? Do you see this as inevitable in the times we live in where data is being shared everywhere? My thoughts are that WhatsApp are being "sneaky" by hiding the amount of data they can potentially capture on you in their T&Cs however I have no faith that any other company won't eventually do the same thing and unless we all go back to normal calls and text messages it's going to be hard to avoid. Yes signal was made by the guy who left whatsapp during the takeover and was against this but money talks. 

If the information is already available on Facebook then it's accessible to anyone that really wants it so I don't understand what difference this makes unless you've got something like two partners on the go and using the same name :P

But if someone knows different I'd welcome the enlightenment. 

What kind of details are they passing on anyway? Your number / your name and/or names / numbers of your contacts? Chats are encrypted or is that changing with this? I suppose media is included with chats too actually.

Edited by Fox92

It got to the point where I was regularly mentioning products or services on WhatsApp, in email, Google or sometimes IRL with my actual mouth to another person, and lo and behold the next time I used social media there's a sponsored post related to said product or service.

I've now given up caring and accepted these companies are monitoring everything, and know everything about me.

Some of the info WhatsApp is collecting and will be sharing includes location data, IP addresses, phone model, OS, battery level, signal strength, browser, mobile network, ISP, language, time zone, and even IMEI. There’s also the information about how you are messaging, calling, what groups you are attending, the Status, the profile photo, last time the you were online, etc.

WhatsApp even added a separate section called “Transactions and Payments data” specifying the platform will process additional information even for payments, made through the app. The company claims this is for analytics purposes, although it would provide its unique identifiers to other Facebook Companies.

This above is from an article online. There are also lots of pictures floating around but I would take them with a pinch of salt as for example the one here has a few items repeated for effect possibly 

IMG_20210115_093802_020.jpg

• Thanks 2

I looked up Prostate Cancer on Google and since then I've been offered every solution there is for it 0on every online source I use, I've no need to worry about it now as it's curable well so these adverts tell me.

Between them, Google, Amazon, Apple, Facebook (including WhatsApp and Instagram) and Microsoft know everything about you, probably more than your partner.  We are at a point in our society now where you can't really avoid daily interaction with at least one of those companies without being a hermit.  People need to realise that as a user of their services, you are not the customer, you are the product.

1 hour ago, Houdini Logic said:

TBH, if you have a smart phone or smart speaker or anything 'smart' your data privacy is already non existent so either get rid of all technology or just accept it and don't worry about it

Exactly. Google or Apple (depending on your phone) will already know more about everyone on this forum that Facebook/Whatsapp ever will.

7 hours ago, Houdini Logic said:

TBH, if you have a smart phone or smart speaker or anything 'smart' your data privacy is already non existent so either get rid of all technology or just accept it and don't worry about it

It actually gives me a bit of comfort that someone might be eaves dropping when I have a pokey bum wànk.

Whenever I've discussed our digital 'footprint' or what you might call a wish for digital privacy, there is a remarkable ambivalence amongst my friends,  family and colleagues. In fact, there is a collective shrug of the shoulders.

A common remark is: 'I don't think anyone is interested in lil'ole me'

So why are they collecting your data then?

I am depressed.

Btw, I am well aware that by posting on here.............

• Like 1

You can't hide from it. A lot of companies are keeping our data but i try my best to limit it.  Whatsapp is being deleted and for now i will text or use signal until that changes ( and we run to the next one). I dont use facebook, social media etc other than foxestalk. If companies want to show me ads to aid in my wanking sessions (seeing as i always post about having a pregame or mid game wank) then so be it.

I might be a nobody but facebook/ whatsapp can piss off. One less person to digitally watch wanking.

16 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Whenever I've discussed our digital 'footprint' or what you might call a wish for digital privacy, there is a remarkable ambivalence amongst my friends,  family and colleagues. In fact, there is a collective shrug of the shoulders.

A common remark is: 'I don't think anyone is interested in lil'ole me'

So why are they collecting your data then?

I am depressed.

Btw, I am well aware that by posting on here.............

Because it is worth a fortune.  We live in the Information Age.  They don't care about you but putting your data through their algorithms make them lots (and lots) of money.

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What happens when Signal ends up getting bought out by a big tech company? Is it just going to be an everlasting cycle now?

Tbf the reason Signal exists is because one of WhatsApp’s co-founders left FB a couple of years after the acquisition because he’s pro-privacy and FB very much wants to monetise WhatsApp as quick as possible and almost certainly not with privacy in mind. Once bitten, twice shy possibly

Edited by Kopfkino
  • Like 1