Jump to content

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, srex9 said:

Since when is 28 old? I'd say it's prime age for many players. Vardy is 34 now. So that could be 5+ years of another good striker. 

 

Saying all that we won't get him. No way Saints would sell to us. 

It is for the club to pay big money, when is the last time we paid over 20m for a player 28 or over?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

If Man City wanted an Aguero replacement, they'd be looking at players like Mbappe because they can. Ings just isn't a big enough name for them.

Yes your prob right. Was just looking at the top sides and who’d be in for him. I can see him going in the summer and do think if we want any chance of signing him we’ll have to be in the top 4. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in January, can't see it. Not that I wouldn't want it, he'd be excellent here, and it might appeal to him too.

But Southampton are currently only 9 points, and a game in hand behind us in the league, they'll see us as comparable competition up near the European positions, and won't sell him to us mid season for the same reason we wouldn't to them, it'll strengthen us, and at the same time they'll lose a 7 in 15 striker who's a major contributing factor to them being up where they are. I'm mindful the contract situation, and the resale value, but weighed up against the cost of getting another player in who'll be nearly as good, and the damage it could do to their season, it doesn't seem likely.

If it did happen, as a Leicester fan I'd be delighted. If I were a Saints fan, I'd be livid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, winteriscoming said:

Yes your prob right. Was just looking at the top sides and who’d be in for him. I can see him going in the summer and do think if we want any chance of signing him we’ll have to be in the top 4. 

I can't see any of the top sides going for him, certainly none of the media 6 as they'd all be looking for a big name player if they wanted a striker I think. He'd be a rotation player if he left for any English club that is a step up from Southampton. But if he has real aspirations of playing in Europe than he may have to accept that he won't be first choice or stay where he is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We wouldn't be able to sign him until the summer, at which point he will be 29

 

Bad injury record which for me makes me think he wouldn't be able to keep going into his 30s like Vardy has

 

No thanks, much rather go for someone younger like Eduoard

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 4everfox said:

I can't see any of the top sides going for him, certainly none of the media 6 as they'd all be looking for a big name player if they wanted a striker I think. He'd be a rotation player if he left for any English club that is a step up from Southampton. But if he has real aspirations of playing in Europe than he may have to accept that he won't be first choice or stay where he is.

No reason why Southampton can’t finish top 6. If europa will be enough to keep him I don’t know. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

It is for the club to pay big money, when is the last time we paid over 20m for a player 28 or over?

When was the last time a player pretty much ideal and premier league proven was available for between £20-£30m?

 

People are losing their minds going on about resale value. We don’t have to sign that type of player all the time

 

Ings this summer and a young striker the summer after and you are set. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Which says it all.

 

The club has had its fingers burn't buying older players.

No, they got burnt buying shit players. Their age had absolutely nothing to do with it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Babylon said:

When was the last time a player pretty much ideal and premier league proven was available for between £20-£30m?

 

People are losing their minds going on about resale value. We don’t have to sign that type of player all the time

 

Ings this summer and a young striker the summer after and you are set. 

My view would be to buy him, my comments were more that it would surprise me if the club thought the same.

 

Also think Southampton will want more then 30m 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No, they got burnt buying shit players. Their age had absolutely nothing to do with it.

100% agree, just think the club has a model of buying young player for decent fees and old players on the cheap.

 

But in my view we do need to try and get a few more players in their prime to compete, If we got Ing we would be a massive signing.

 

I'm convince BR will wait for Edouard

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

No reason why Southampton can’t finish top 6. If europa will be enough to keep him I don’t know. 

Very true. I think it may be a case of Ings being better off where he is, the grass isn't always greener as they say.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt there would be a chance of this in January and, in the summer, we'd have to prove that we were a better bet than Southampton who look a decent side themselves. We'd probably have to finish top four, hope that the rich six don't come in for him and be prepared to pay £20-30m and the best part of £100k per week on wages. 

 

There are a lot of ifs there, but one thing I do know is that he's a player I'd love to get. As close to a Vardy replacement we're likely to find and a proven Premier League performer. 

 

Yes there are risks with him. His injury record isn't great - but there are risks with any player. We know, for sure, that he can do the business in this league. Edouard, for example, plays in Scotland and we've been caught before assuming a player can translate their form to another league. Ings is older, had some injury issues, but is proven. Odsonne is younger, could have greater potential, but equally could be a dud. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/01/2021 at 18:12, Sooper Steve's shin said:

Absolutely not happening, Soton wouldn’t let it. But, if it did, I think we’d be pushing for a CL place at least - possibly more. The schedule has clearly taken its toll on Vardy this season and it’s not going to get any easier for the next few months. Ings to play all Cup games and start 50% of PL games would, I think, see us with a fresher Vardy and give us a valid alternative that we don’t currently have. Offer Southampton £15m plus £15m if we make CL this year, £25m if we win the league - massive statement of intent and £30/40m well spent if it came off. Ings should be good for four seasons, a couple of them shared with Vardy and (hopefully) playing CL football. 
If he went to a Liverpool, Man U, Man C or Tottenham, he’d be bench at best. 

Hahahaha hahahaha 'offer them £15m, with an extra 15 when we qualify for CL.' Sounds a GREAT and SENSIBLE deal for Southampton for their top scorer and best player, I'm suuuuuuuuuure they'd accept it. Maybe we should offer Vardy to Chelsea or Arsenal at the same rates and cash in on this great deal ourselves eh! Chuck in Madison and Ndidi for another £5 mill a piece, that'll look great on the balance sheet.

 

I'lll pass on your details to Rodgers and Congerton too, they'll probably be able to find you a job on the scouting team 👍👍👍👍

  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Hahahaha hahahaha 'offer them £15m, with an extra 15 when we qualify for CL.' Sounds a GREAT and SENSIBLE deal for Southampton for their top scorer and best player, I'm suuuuuuuuuure they'd accept it. Maybe we should offer Vardy to Chelsea or Arsenal at the same rates and cash in on this great deal ourselves eh! Chuck in Madison and Ndidi for another £5 mill a piece, that'll look great on the balance sheet.

 

I'lll pass on your details to Rodgers and Congerton too, they'll probably be able to find you a job on the scouting team 👍👍👍👍

Bit of a high and mighty post considering they fella only has 18 month left on his contract and his agent is leaking ‘come get me’ noises to clubs playing in Europe! I agree they would be mad to sell for 15 million but they ain’t gonna be able to charge £50 million either...

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nick said:

Bit of a high and mighty post considering they fella only has 18 month left on his contract and his agent is leaking ‘come get me’ noises to clubs playing in Europe! I agree they would be mad to sell for 15 million but they ain’t gonna be able to charge £50 million either...

Fair enough sorry for being a dick about it @Sooper Steve's shin my point still stands though, transfers aren't a one way street, and the attitude of let's throw what we fancy paying at a 'smaller' club (debatable) and watch them fall over themselves to accept is either highly arrogant or highly naive!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're in prime position to get him to be honest. Sure there are more glamorous clubs who are more attractive, but where else will there be a 35 year old striker about to start winding down his career? Not only would we pay substantially more than Saints, the opportunity is there for matches and not sitting on a bench all the time. 

 

Vardy will still get games, but if we're in Europe it allows you to rotate and Ings would take over. I know Vardy could keep going, but it's so Dangerous to pass up a great opportunity like this, when age could strike at any moment. He's only got 5 goals from open play this season and struggled with niggles, we have to act in the summer. 

 

Spurs have Kane

Everton DCL

Arsenal have plenty

Man U probably need a striker, but you'd think Ings wouldn't top their list. 

Chelsea have loads of strikers

Man City need a striker, but again you'd think they'll look elsewhere for their main man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Offer cash plus player (Nacho or Gray). I'd love to see Ings come in, as others have said, similar player to Vardy and younger. Split the playing time between them and see where we end up. He could be the player that gives us the lift to secure the top 4 place or even push us higher. 

 

Get it done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Fair enough sorry for being a dick about it @Sooper Steve's shin my point still stands though, transfers aren't a one way street, and the attitude of let's throw what we fancy paying at a 'smaller' club (debatable) and watch them fall over themselves to accept is either highly arrogant or highly naive!

I agree 18 months left is not enough leverage to dictate to the level that was suggested. However the options for Southampton are a bit thin and it should be enough to get a very good Premier League striker (in his prime) for a reasonable price. If we could get him for anything south of £40m, it would be a cracking deal. I think we will wait until the summer to be honest and use Eduoard (who is in a similar situation) as the bait to get the price down. It’s £25m in the summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, browniefox said:

Offer cash plus player (Nacho or Gray). I'd love to see Ings come in, as others have said, similar player to Vardy and younger. Split the playing time between them and see where we end up. He could be the player that gives us the lift to secure the top 4 place or even push us higher. 

 

Get it done. 

“Ah, Demarai, come take a seat.... listen, I know you’re out of contract in the summer and can go anywhere, but we’re going to use you as leverage in a deal to go to a club you possibly don’t want to go to, okay?”

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...