Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
David Hankey

Lampard gone!!

Sometimes I feel like Premier League teams ought to have different hiring criteria - in order to be hired by a current Premier League team you need to have had 5 years experience of managing at a lower level.

It's not that Lampard is a poor manager, he just lacked the motivational and tactical nous that bigger teams expect their managers to have. He was always destined to fail as he can't learn this in situ. If he was leaving Derby next season or so the experience would have been so much more beneficial to him. As it stands he's adrift now; he's written himself out of any 'lesser' jobs through wages and stature but also written himself out of higher profile jobs.

It was on the cards and looking at Abramovich's hiring and firing record it should come as no surprise. I'm just amazed that no real thought was given when he was hired as his record at Derby wasn't brilliant. It seemed to be based more on the fact that he was a long time player for them than anything else.

No doubt, Tuchel will spend/waste another £200M and so the merry-go-round goes on, brilliant!!

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Sometimes I feel like Premier League teams ought to have different hiring criteria - in order to be hired by a current Premier League team you need to have had 5 years experience of managing at a lower level.

It's not that Lampard is a poor manager, he just lacked the motivational and tactical nous that bigger teams expect their managers to have. He was always destined to fail as he can't learn this in situ. If he was leaving Derby next season or so the experience would have been so much more beneficial to him. As it stands he's adrift now; he's written himself out of any 'lesser' jobs through wages and stature but also written himself out of higher profile jobs.

The candidates shouldn't put themselves forward if the job is too big for them and if they do, the club should do due diligence and objectively assess whether they are the right candidate.  Everyone involved in the appointment was a grown up and went into the contract with their eyes open.

Just now, nnfox said:

The candidates shouldn't put themselves forward if the job is too big for them and if they do, the club should do due diligence and objectively assess whether they are the right candidate.  Everyone involved in the appointment was a grown up and went into the contract with their eyes open.

That's true enough but it would make sense to have some entry requirements. I mean that job was as much nepotism as ability. I think we all know that. 

Just now, foxile5 said:

That's true enough but it would make sense to have some entry requirements. I mean that job was as much nepotism as ability. I think we all know that. 

It definitely was and I think everyone outside of Chelsea could see that.  If big clubs want to base the recruitment of their key people on romance and nepotism, then let them.  

Ridiculous club. Why bring him with a big fanfare only to bin him off after a poor run. Why not give him some time and support. They're actually doing OK in this very weird season.

From Frank's perspective, he now has to start much lower down, or opt for a punditry career.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

They require coaching licenses no?  The badges should perhaps require some more actual coaching experience.

36 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Ridiculous club. Why bring him with a big fanfare only to bin him off after a poor run. Why not give him some time and support. They're actually doing OK in this very weird season.

From Frank's perspective, he now has to start much lower down, or opt for a punditry career.

I guess because they backed him with some major imports, yet they're worse off.

40 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

They’ve supported him with a 200m spending spree in the summer, they’ve looked absolutely awful and Lampard didn’t look or sound like he had any idea what was going wrong or how to turn it round. 

9 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

They’ve supported him with a 200m spending spree in the summer, they’ve looked absolutely awful and Lampard didn’t look or sound like he had any idea what was going wrong or how to turn it round. 

100%.

They also completely cocked up with the support team too, which Frank has to take responsibility for as I bet he asked for it to be his way! Jody Morris sitting slumped in his chair offering no advice while they were 1-0 down to us, seen him do that on many occasions too. 

He's looked completely on his own on the touchline at times.

Compare that to Villa's set up this season. Terry and Dean Smith above the dugout. Craig Shakespere and Richard O'Kelly on the touchline, all working together to get the best result on the pitch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Always going to be a tough ask for him there, too much, too soon. Would have been a better bet to approach management more like Gerrard has.

Hard one to turn down though mate

Chelsea, massive wages, huge transfer budget this season

I agree with you but difficult to say no to

• Like 1

According to Henry Winter, Lampard leaves Chelsea in the last 16 of the Champions League, in the fifth round of the FA Cup and had been top a few weeks ago.

Which is a neat way of avoiding saying they are 9th with five defeats in eight league games and got past Morecambe and Luton at home in the FA Cup.

Reminds me of Jeff Stelling's outrage at our sacking of Ranieri, citing he left us on the verge of the Champions League quarter-finals. Again, did very well to avoid saying we'd lost the first leg 2-1, were 17th, hadn't scored for six games, lost the previous five and been knocked out of the FA Cup by League One Millwall. 

• Like 1

I think Derby was about his level. I was pitch-side para at several DCFC games and they genuinely played some decent football. The players seemed to like Lampard but there were no prima donna's at Derby. He probably didn't have the necessary managerial experience at this level and therefore the stature to stand up to the egos at Chelsea. When he took the job, I had a feeling it was too big too soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Hard one to turn down though mate

Chelsea, massive wages, huge transfer budget this season

I agree with you but difficult to say no to

Can't argue with that Col, I'd have probably done the same in his shoes too. At his age, and his stage in his manager career this won't hurt his progress like it would a more seasoned manager, he'll walk away from this a better manager for the experience, for certain. You might even say he knew all this was going to happen, and in this worst case scenario, he still leaves in a better or equal standing than when he was at Derby.

16 hours ago, Parafox said:

I think Derby was about his level. I was pitch-side para at several DCFC games and they genuinely played some decent football. The players seemed to like Lampard but there were no prima donna's at Derby. He probably didn't have the necessary managerial experience at this level and therefore the stature to stand up to the egos at Chelsea. When he took the job, I had a feeling it was too big too soon.

Even with his Derby job, it was a good effort in a first management season, but he only got them to the play offs which was nothing different to what the likes of Rowett, McLaren and Clement did with Derby.

It's hard to say if he made the step up too soon or not because even if he had waited a few years and taken it on it's still likely he'd have been sacked, just as experienced managers have at Chelsea. I completely understood why he just went for it at the time. 

I hope he finds a good club when he's ready, I've always been a big fan of his and I like how he carries himself. He'll be remembered for his rant at Klopp at least haha.

1 minute ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I hope he finds a good club when he's ready, I've always been a big fan of his and I like how he carries himself. He'll be remembered for his rant at Klopp at least haha.

Was reading in the Athletic article that players didn't like how openly critical he was after games, but have to say I found that his best quality! 

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Was reading in the Athletic article that players didn't like how openly critical he was after games, but have to say I found that his best quality! 

Personally I prefer to see managers being honest and I'd prefer it as a player too.

He never went too far from what I'd seen, he always seemed fair and didn't go over the top on them.

Just now, Stuntman_Mike said:

Personally I prefer to see managers being honest and I'd prefer it as a player too.

He never went too far from what I'd seen, he always seemed fair and didn't go over the top on them.

Yep 100%, but perhaps they've got too many used to European managers and being pampered?