Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rap0sa

Getting Brexit undone

It's happened now, need to let it run, see how good or bad it might be. I think it'll be disaster, and so far it's not proving anything else, but to someone who believes in it, it's still early days. You won't get people to change there minds after a few weeks of it being shit. If it's shit for years then people might start admitting it's an error, same as if it all turns out good people might start admitting it was a good idea. Right now we're still very split on it without any proof either way to make lots of people switch sides.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Guess any future referendum would be 20+ years away considering how long it takes to go from the poll day to any action being taken.

Whatever the mood of the public I doubt it'd happen when one of the largest two parties in the UK is opposed to EU membership. I can't imagine the EU would want to let us join again when four years later the Conservatives could win a majority and take us back out.

28 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

If it's shit for years then people might start admitting it's an error, same as if it all turns out good people might start admitting it was a good idea. 

The problem with Brexit is what constitutes shit and good depends very much on the person. 

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

The problem with Brexit is what constitutes shit and good depends very much on the person. 

I know. I was just trying to be simplic. Its too early to change most people minds  except maybe fisherman.

Just now, Heathrow fox said:

Rejoin the EU?With everything that would come with it.Good luck selling that one.

Yes if we rejoined now we wouldn't be able to get the kind of deal we originally had in the EU, which was arguably a very privileged position. 

Having said that, a hard, bad-for-business Brexit was successfully sold to the public so who knows what might be possible in a few years. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yes if we rejoined now we wouldn't be able to get the kind of deal we originally had in the EU, which was arguably a very privileged position. 

Having said that, a hard, bad-for-business Brexit was successfully sold to the public so who knows what might be possible in a few years. 

Yeah that's the problem. We won't be able to rejoin on the same terms.

I can easily see us drifting towards some kind of Iceland/Norway/Switzerland/Liechenstein status eventually though over the next 10-15 years or so where we rejoin the common market and freedom of movement of people again, but we don't get any say on the rules.

Malta kind of drifted that way over a couple of decades and Norway's application to join has been technically on hold for decades rather than ever withdrawn. Norway have opinion polls showing 70%+ of the population  being against joining though, so can't see them joining anytime soon.

Edited by Sampson

20 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Yeah that's the problem. We won't be able to rejoin on the same terms.

I can easily see us drifting towards some kind of Iceland/Norway/Switzerland/Liechenstein status eventually though over the next 10-15 years or so where we rejoin the common market and freedom of movement of people again, but we don't get any say on the rules.

Malta kind of drifted that way over a couple of decades and Norway's application to join has been technically on hold for decades rather than ever withdrawn. Norway have opinion polls showing 70%+ of the population  being against joining though, so can't see them joining anytime soon.

As you say Norway has an extremely un-Brexit like dal with the EU. Brexiters claiming we could have a Norway like deal on the one hand but then using FoM as a reason for leaving the EU on the other summed up their campaign. 

People need to accept that Brexit = less trade and business with Europe and fewer rights for Brits on the continent. This was pointed out in the referendum but was bizarrely dismissed as scaremongering. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bovril said:

As my old Sunday School teacher used to say, you cannot win an argument with a man that considers smearing their own excrement on the walls of their police cell a victory

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

I wouldn't let it eat you up..........the whole rotting institution will be gone in 20 years. Just hope I live to see it My Grandchildren now live in a free ,independent, sovereign nation .........and that will do for me.

Just out of interest why do you think this feeling exists much more in England than other nations? I accept that Euroscepticism is quite strong in some other places but why is it only here that a political party committed to putting up barriers to the rest of the EU wins elections? What is it that we know that other countries don't, or is it fear that's keeping other countries in their place? 

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Just out of interest why do you think this feeling exists much more in England than other nations? I accept that Euroscepticism is quite strong in some other places but why is it only here that a political party committed to putting up barriers to the rest of the EU wins elections? What is it that we know that other countries don't, or is it fear that's keeping other countries in their place? 

"We" know nothing more.

It's faith, not knowledge, based on the same exceptionalism that certain US folks churn out - "we do things the best, we don't need anyone else". For whatever reason (and there may be several), that particular mindset is more prevalent in the UK than on the Continent.

Total cobblers of course, such an attitude that every man or country can be an island will inevitably lead to them fighting over the privilege of being the last to die and the next smart species off the rank pointing and laughing at how stupid humans were, but there you go.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rap0sa said:

Most financial services have already moved to Amsterdam.

Businesses are setting up shop in Europe because of red tape.

Are you being serious. Euro share trading has seen a shift to Amsterdam, but all more or less done electronically anyway. Total jobs lost in financial sector are currently put at 7,000: estimates by some 'experts' had predicted 500,000 prior to brexit

Both 'sides' can cherry pick facts but the truth is it will take time for longer term effects to be seen and nobody really knows what will happen.

The pound is currently at several year highs against the euro and the dollar....this is people 'betting' with real money as to what they think will happen. Some people were predicting that the pound would go to lower than parity with the euro last year.. 

To quote that well known brexiteer Ursula Von Leyen, maybe its because a country can now operate like a speedboat rather than an oil tanker.

• Like 2