Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alex T

Season ticket name exchange - any experiences?

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

I’m sorry but I’m calling BS on that one. The year we stayed up 14/15. Me and my friend both had gold memberships. Then when everyone had the chance to renew say in April loads of people didn’t. So in May before we had stayed up. Me and and my friend got a chance to get season tickets which we took. We didn’t enter no ballot or anything. We had a window to get one and there were loads up for sale. I know of people who have been members since who have been able to get season tickets. My cousins were gold memebers during the league winning season and managed to get two the season after. 

I think you are right, I vaguely remember a thread around Feb/March 2015 on season ticket prices being frozen for the following season in a desperate attempt to get renewals and some questioning the value as our league position looked precarious at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I think you are right, I vaguely remember a thread around Feb/March 2015 on season ticket prices being frozen for the following season in a desperate attempt to get renewals and some questioning the value as our league position looked precarious at the time.

100%, a lot of people thought we were relegated and for a lot of people the novelty had worn off. I remember going down a couple weeks before the Sunderland game with my gold memberships and asking to upgrade to season tickets and they asked where would I like ? I asked for the kop and she replied which block and I went in sk1. There where 1000s of seats. If you had a membership that season, you could of easily got a season ticket at the end of the season. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hollyfox said:

Difficult one as my kids have now grown up and daughter will soon be off to uni. 

She'll struggle to attend, depending on where she goes but wants to continue to go, when she can. 

Although there are many members now, when we started going, there were so few Leicester fans that if we'd have brought our boots, we might have got a game. 

We were loyal when many couldn't be arsed. 

Rules are rules, I suppose 

My thoughts exactly - it was easy to get a season ticket during the L1 and championship years. Much less uptake for some reason 🤷🏽‍♀️

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

I think I am right in saying that you can sell your unused tickets back to the club. Or rather tell them you can't go and then they put the ticket on sale on the website, and if it sells you get some of the proceeds (you get 1/19th of the cost of your season ticket, but they sell the ticket at full price). It might be worth doing for at least one season to see how many games she manages to get to. 

The ticket never doesn’t get used - he uses it when he can but it’s really rarely as he works Saturday. My dad is the only one in the family who lives in leicester now so he can go every week (and pretty much does to as my stepbrother can get to so few).

4 minutes ago, Alex T said:

The ticket never doesn’t get used - he uses it when he can but it’s really rarely as he works Saturday. My dad is the only one in the family who lives in leicester now so he can go every week (and pretty much does to as my stepbrother can get to so few).

I do understand your frustration, but its a bit different to Hollyfox's situation where the daughter has been going up until now and will still go to as many matches as possible. I just wanted to make sure they were aware of the resale scheme to make sure that the seat isn't going to go to waste as even members struggle to get tickets, let alone people who don't have membership. Everyone understands that there's the odd game you can't get to, but in your case it seems that the person who owns the season ticket is very rarely using it. I think the clubs rules on this one are clear, unfortunately. It will get easier once the stadium is expanded and more season tickets are put on sale. 

59 minutes ago, TrickyTrev Benjamin said:

100%, a lot of people thought we were relegated and for a lot of people the novelty had worn off. I remember going down a couple weeks before the Sunderland game with my gold memberships and asking to upgrade to season tickets and they asked where would I like ? I asked for the kop and she replied which block and I went in sk1. There where 1000s of seats. If you had a membership that season, you could of easily got a season ticket at the end of the season. 

Have to agree here too, we were family members 2014/15 and I remember querying the lack of tickets available in the family stand and the club said why don't you get season tickets - so we did.  Good decision and good timing that was! Never looked back.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I do understand your frustration, but its a bit different to Hollyfox's situation where the daughter has been going up until now and will still go to as many matches as possible. I just wanted to make sure they were aware of the resale scheme to make sure that the seat isn't going to go to waste as even members struggle to get tickets, let alone people who don't have membership. Everyone understands that there's the odd game you can't get to, but in your case it seems that the person who owns the season ticket is very rarely using it. I think the clubs rules on this one are clear, unfortunately. It will get easier once the stadium is expanded and more season tickets are put on sale. 

It will, I agree. It has been a couple of years since my stepbrother has been able to go most weeks - it’s got gradually less, and since then my dad has gradually gone more. We have two tickets between us - I go to almost every home game so used to go with stepbrother but now go with dad - there is very rarely an empty seat. I went to university a few years ago so struggled to get there, so my mum/stepdad usually took the ticket - like Hollyfox said, we didn’t want to get rid of the ticket and I went as often as I could, although i often did struggle during those years. So although we may not always have the named season ticket holders within the seats, the tickets have been within our family for years and we have always done it this way. There are a number of families who do the same who sit by us as well. At one point, we had 4 season tickets but weren’t all able to get there and we didn’t want to waste our tickets/money so we cut it down to 2. I do see how it’s not technically following the ‘rules’ but I also don’t think we’re doing anything hugely wrong or unusual. 

10 minutes ago, Alex T said:

It will, I agree. It has been a couple of years since my stepbrother has been able to go most weeks - it’s got gradually less, and since then my dad has gradually gone more. We have two tickets between us - I go to almost every home game so used to go with stepbrother but now go with dad - there is very rarely an empty seat. I went to university a few years ago so struggled to get there, so my mum/stepdad usually took the ticket - like Hollyfox said, we didn’t want to get rid of the ticket and I went as often as I could, although i often did struggle during those years. So although we may not always have the named season ticket holders within the seats, the tickets have been within our family for years and we have always done it this way. There are a number of families who do the same who sit by us as well. At one point, we had 4 season tickets but weren’t all able to get there and we didn’t want to waste our tickets/money so we cut it down to 2. I do see how it’s not technically following the ‘rules’ but I also don’t think we’re doing anything hugely wrong or unusual. 

Lots of people share/pass round season tickets, everyone knows that. But they do it knowing they're breaking the rules and have no leg to stand on if they need to ask the club for favours.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Those that gave up season tickets at the end of 2014/15 must've been gutted. The sort of thing that would haunt me for life. 

Me too. I know a couple of people who did that, one had been going for years. Told him he was mad. 

There was one lady I felt sorry for, she was about 84 and absolutely loved going down but unfortunately after the great escape season the person she went with and drove decided she wasn’t renewing meaning she couldn’t go any more. I used to have footy chat with her during the season we won the league and she loved what City were doing but often said how much she missed going. Felt really sorry for her.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Someone I know has been a member as long as the membership scheme has been going. Applied for a season ticket every year since we were promoted and been unsuccessful. Why should your Dad, or whoever else goes in either of your places, be able to go as a Season Ticket Holder and not someone who has been on the waiting list? You have to see it from the clubs perspective. They have sold two tickets to two people who have guaranteed their attendance at all 19 home matches. If you or the other person cannot attend all 19, they should consider a membership. 

You may think that's being a stickler for the rules, but if everyone just passed their Season Ticket on to whomever they liked when they'd finished with it then people would never have the opportunity to get one.

Me too! 😡 the clubs response seems reasonable

I paid for  2 STs from 2010 to 2014 one was my sons from when he used to go regularly but couldn’t for those years. I used to let friends use it and sometimes no one wanted it I even used to offer it on here and plenty of times I could give it away and people didn’t even have to sit with me as there were plenty of spare seats..

My son was able to start going in 2015 so he paid for it then and has done ever since.

• Like 1

We keep ours within the family, who are all Leicester fans, when anyone can't make a game. 

I agree that many of those that had recently turned up, were ready to turn their back in 2014/15, when things looked a bit bleak. 

It's also incredible when we play Utd or Liverpool, how few people I recognise around where I sit. 

A Chelsea fan I used to know, sold the home tickets for Utd, Liverpool,Man City, Arsenal and Spurs every season. 

Those 5 games covered the total cost of his season ticket, as he sold them as high as possible,and he basically watched the other 14 games for free. 

I could never understand his thinking as they are the more attractive games, but he argued that those games were always on in the pub anyway. 

I think many Leicester fans move their tickets on for some of these games

Edited by Hollyfox

We probably all know a few people who have a pool card operation within a family or friends group, with the fixtures being moved so much these days it's often not possible for one person to attend due to work, childcare etc. Unfortunately, for those people, if ID is required when we're allowed to attend again, ticket sharing isn't going to be possible. 

I've definitely benefited since I moved away and have up my ST in 2011,although was fully aware it was against the rules. 

It's understand the club won't swap ticket holder names but understandably frustrating for those who've had a ticket for years and want to update the holder. 

• Like 1

Slightly of topic but Im an existing season ticket holder and have recently had a baby and will want him to have one too in a few years. What's the best way to go about this? Anyone had any experience? 

Also I'd probably want to move to the family stand as I think kids go free in there don't they? But that's not crucial. 

Edited by The whole world smiles

19 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

We probably all know a few people who have a pool card operation within a family or friends group, with the fixtures being moved so much these days it's often not possible for one person to attend due to work, childcare etc. Unfortunately, for those people, if ID is required when we're allowed to attend again, ticket sharing isn't going to be possible. 

I've definitely benefited since I moved away and have up my ST in 2011,although was fully aware it was against the rules. 

It's understand the club won't swap ticket holder names but understandably frustrating for those who've had a ticket for years and want to update the holder. 

But they will on a match by match basis so sharing them in a family / friends is not illegal if you register the change and pay any upgrade. Obviously people aren't bothering to do that.

13 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

We keep ours within the family, who are all Leicester fans, when anyone can't make a game. 

I agree that many of those that had recently turned up, were ready to turn their back in 2014/15, when things looked a bit bleak. 

It's also incredible when we play Utd or Liverpool, how few people I recognise around where I sit. 

A Chelsea fan I used to know, sold the home tickets for Utd, Liverpool,Man City, Arsenal and Spurs every season. 

Those 5 games covered the total cost of his season ticket, as he sold them as high as possible,and he basically watched the other 14 games for free. 

I could never understand his thinking as they are the more attractive games, but he argued that those games were always on in the pub anyway. 

I think many Leicester fans move their tickets on for some of these games

I kind of get the logic of your Chelsea friend, the odd game I used to go to was against the like of Palace, Stoke and Burnley. Didnt care as I'm there to watch Leicester not the opposition. Also more likely to see a win against lower table opposition, well in previous seasons anyway!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Slightly of topic but Im an existing season ticket holder and have recently had a baby and will want him to have one too in a few years. What's the best way to go about this? Anyone had any experience? 

Also I'd probably want to move to the family stand as I think kids go free in there don't they? But that's not crucial. 

Similar boat, my lad is 2 and a half. 

Toss up whether he becomes a Leicester fan or Sheffield United one. Don't really want to commit him to a season ticket too early but know it's going to be tricky getting him a ticket up the top of SK1 with me.

Edited by SemperEadem

I recall one season my book of season tickets did not arrive before the first game. Went to the ticket office and they gave me a new book of tickets for the season. Told me that if my other book turned up in the post to send it back to them. The following week said book turned up, whereby either of my sons took it in turns to attend the matches for free during that season!

Now being a pensioner I get a discount on my ST. The only one either of them could now use it is to upgrade it via the ticket office on a match by match basis, upto a maximum of 10 matches.

1 minute ago, demon_dog said:

I recall one season my book of season tickets did not arrive before the first game. Went to the ticket office and they gave me a new book of tickets for the season. Told me that if my other book turned up in the post to send it back to them. The following week said book turned up, whereby either of my sons took it in turns to attend the matches for free during that season!

Now being a pensioner I get a discount on my ST. The only one either of them could now use it is to upgrade it via the ticket office on a match by match basis, upto a maximum of 10 matches.

Is the 10 matches for all stands or just the Family Stand where I know there's a limit.

26 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Similar boat, my lad is 2 and a half. 

Toss up whether he becomes a Leicester fan or Sheffield United one. Don't really want to commit him to a season ticket too early but know it's going to be tricky getting him a ticket up the top of SK1 with me.

Blimey, don't delay. Get him indoctrinated in all things City before it's too late. Its one of the best things is taking your lad down the City and gives you the bond for life. It did for me and is now with my son. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, demon_dog said:

Don't know for certain, however I sit in SK3 so suspect it's the same elsewhere in the ground.

It's definitely more restrictive in the Family Stand I just can't remember the numbers. Not that it affects me as I'm in G Block and go to nearly all the games.