Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Double Decker

Favourite away game

2 hours ago, Frost said:

Hereford away was great.

I assume you don’t mean the 1982 game?  We lived in Hereford at the time so were in the Meadow End when it got charged by the City fans.  My only question at the time was which lot were going to kick the shît out of me.

4 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

I assume you don’t mean the 1982 game?  We lived in Hereford at the time so were in the Meadow End when it got charged by the City fans.  My only question at the time was which lot were going to kick the shît out of me.

Nope, was born a decade later so just a bit before my time lol - sounds interesting though!

8 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

Was that a midweek game ? 

I went to a midweek game there but cannot recall anything about the game ....

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Was that a midweek game ? 

I went to a midweek game there but cannot recall anything about the game ....

No it was a Saturday, early round so must have been January.  We scored quite early which I obviously couldn’t celebrate then Hereford equalised so the crowd round us went mental only for it to be disallowed.  Things got really nasty then but nobody twigged we were Leicester.  Still don’t know how we got out alive.

10 minutes ago, CUJimmy said:

No it was a Saturday, early round so must have been January.  We scored quite early which I obviously couldn’t celebrate then Hereford equalised so the crowd round us went mental only for it to be disallowed.  Things got really nasty then but nobody twigged we were Leicester.  Still don’t know how we got out alive.

I’ve thought hard about it and the reason I probably don’t recall anything about the game is we probably weren’t involved! 

40 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve thought hard about it and the reason I probably don’t recall anything about the game is we probably weren’t involved! 

This is the one.  Looks like Hereford didn’t have any players so disappointing only to win 1-0

89A45B52-CA61-4BE9-849B-8AD145410117.png

Man U Jan 1998....the last time we won at Old Trafford, and against a formidable Utd line up.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/manchester-united-v-leicester-city-31-january-1998-23170/

What a feeling leaving Old Trafford against a sea of silent home supporters looking like they'd just come from a funeral....and me with the biggest smile in Manchester. :celebrate::scarf:

• Like 2

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

We got bloody drenched but was great fun and on the train back too.

Bloody hell, have I named a match you didn't get paid to watch? lol

You're gonna be at Wembley for the Semi-final aren't you?

You'd better be, at least 1 of us in the crowd!!!

5 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Bloody hell, have I named a match you didn't get paid to watch? lol

You're gonna be at Wembley for the Semi-final aren't you?

You'd better be, at least 1 of us in the crowd!!!

I've paid to be at plenty of our games mate !!

(Most expensive one was A Madrid away in 2017 - £160 for the ticket plus hotel and flights - worth every penny though!)

No, won't be at the semi final and if we make the final might not even get in for that either.

Just now, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I've paid to be at plenty of our games mate !!

(Most expensive one was A Madrid away in 2017 - £160 for the ticket plus hotel and flights - worth every penny though!)

No, won't be at the semi final and if we make the final might not even get in for that either.

Mate, I don't doubt your dedication.

I'm writing a strongly worded letter to your bosses at TalkSport. You need to be there.

I want us to score and hear a massive cheer in an Enderby accent, echoing around the home of football. 

Can you not abuse your press pass? Kidknap Sam Matterface? Get a small wig, put on an Irish accent and pretend you're Roy Keane? 

3 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Burnley away in the great escape season.

Man City away in the title winning season. 

The change in emotions in that Burnley game were incredible. Facing a penalty, which if scored, could have sent us down, to going 1 nil up a minute later. I’ve been to hundreds of away games and some great ones already mentioned, but not many where utter despair turned to ecstatic elation so quickly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Leyton Orient 1-3 Leicester in the League 1 season. That shit was crazy good. The sun was shining, it’s local ish to home for me, and we had an entire stand for the 3000/4000 fans just having a party. What a day out that was!

Yes, It was a really lovely day. Can still see Andy King’s goal. 

Coventry 1999. Emile was awesome, the whole team was awesome. 

Goal Vault: Heskey vs Coventry 1999 - YouTube

The whole weekend left a bitter aftertaste, though. Even Strachan (their boss) admitted that Heskey was outstanding - I think the word he used was 'unplayable'. But then in News Of The World the next day, the headline was 'Not Good Enough, Emile'. It's the most bizarre headline I've ever seen. Nothing to do with racism - the only thing I could put it down to was the journalist being a Shearer patsy. At the time, Heskey was the main challenger for Shearer's place in the England team, and this was just a few months before Euro 2000. 

In Keegan's autobiography (he was England boss then) he paints an extraordinarily cynical picture of the tabloid journalists (for example, after his first press conference as England boss he was told by a photographer that he'd overheard two of them saying 'Let's get Keegan out as quick as possible'). Some of them of course have special relationships with the top stars, trading insider access for favourable coverage - which in Shearer's case must have meant trashing his England rival. 

What happened next? Heskey was so good v Argentina in a friendly a few weeks later that Shearer saw the writing on the wall - he announced that he would retire from the England team after Euro 2000, though he was only 29. Didn't want the humiliation of sitting on the sub's bench with Heskey wearing his number nine shirt. 

• Like 1

I've mentioned the legendary Notts County game in the rain in the ZDS Cup, but does anyone remember the game we played there the year before?

Won 2-0. Mills and Rooster with the goals.

My first ever away game. 

We were shite that season, but I belive it was the origin of Blue Army? Stood on that terrace behind the goal? 

Also a scare from a little crush at the front? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

I've mentioned the legendary Notts County game in the rain in the ZDS Cup, but does anyone remember the game we played there the year before?

Won 2-0. Mills and Rooster with the goals.

My first ever away game. 

We were shite that season, but I belive it was the origin of Blue Army? Stood on that terrace behind the goal? 

Also a scare from a little crush at the front? 

I went with a load of my fifth year mates.At least ten in total.We had quite a strong contingent of Leicester fans at my senior school.Zero glory boys.We made a real day of it.It was warm and sunny.Quite the opposite of the ZDS game(Also a classic) in terms of weather.Crucial win against a good Notts County side,who must have got promotion that season.Dave Regis up front for them I think?You are probably right about the Blue Army thing.Vividly remember the whole train singing it when we got back to Leicester station.

47 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

1-1 with Man United the day before we won the league.

39 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

A lady next to me asked me which player Mahrez was, mad to think folk like that scored tickets for a game of that size.

It was awful for that reason. There were so many people there who looked like they'd never been to a football match before, let alone in a Leicester away end.

It was the biggest game in our history and yet the atmosphere couldn't have been flatter. Glad we won it the next day when I could go mad with mates who I'd witnessed the worst of times following this club with, as well as the best.

• Like 1