Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Double Decker

Favourite away game

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

It was awful for that reason. There were so many people there who looked like they'd never been to a football match before, let alone in a Leicester away end.

It was the biggest game in our history and yet the atmosphere couldn't have been flatter. Glad we won it the next day when I could go mad with mates who I'd witnessed the worst of times following this club with, as well as the best.

I wrote it more for the scenes outside the ground after the game. During the game was dull.

9 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Meant to say I was in Germany with 40 odd city fans for the Man City game. Great atmosphere in the Bochum ultras bar. They made us so welcome, knew all our chants and went crazy every time we scored. Next best thing to being at the actual game. 

I was in the Burnley end in the Great escape game and in the Man City end in the title winning season. Me and nephew surrounded by Burnley fans trying our best to show disappointment when Burnley missed the penalty and then trying even harder not to jump around and celebrate when we went up the other end and scored. Despite us really wanting to celebrate, I'm not sure we would have got out alive. Was also in the Burnley end when Morgan scored a last minute winner and that was soul destroying seeing all our fans going wild and me and my nephew just sat quietly

12 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Probably the best away day "crew" I've ever been in.   2500.  95% lads and blokes, mostly drunk, practically no women and kids at all.

Hardly a thermos flask in sight. 

I was on the p*ss in the Foresters Arm on the front for hours before the game - they closed it at about 1 o'clock which meant that a load of locals couldn't get in which didn't go down too well. 

I remember 2 late goals, Walshy putting the defender in the back of the net with the ball and then trying to scale the fence. 

Our support was Great back then. 

Edited by Crazy Kop Corner
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Izzy said:

Madrid '97 and Notts County ZDS '92 are up there for me but my favorite was probably Wimbledon away in the semi final of the League Cup in 97.

The attendance was 17,000 and I reckon about 12,000 were Leicester.

Absolutely, Selhurst was ours that night. 

Which reminds me - I should have mentioned the replay of the final at Hillsborough which was glorious. I was behind the goal in the Leppings Lane end.

@ 2:54 when Heskey hits the inside of the post, behind the Tripleprint hoarding and the Union Jack, there's a guy that punches the air and spins round wearing Kåmark no.15 I'm seen above in the black jacket and jeans, dutifully applauding Emile. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Absolutely, Selhurst was ours that night. 

Which reminds me - I should have mentioned the replay of the final at Hillsborough which was glorious. I was behind the goal in the Leppings Lane end.

@ 2:54 when Heskey hits the inside of the post, behind the Tripleprint hoarding and the Union Jack, there's a guy that punches the air and spins round wearing Kåmark no.15 I'm seen above in the black jacket and jeans, dutifully applauding Emile. 

Famous at last! :D

I was in the main stand about ten rows behind the directors box where Walshy lifted the trophy. A brilliant night apart from missing our train home and not getting back until about 3am in the morning :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Meant to say I was in Germany with 40 odd city fans for the Man City game. Great atmosphere in the Bochum ultras bar. They made us so welcome, knew all our chants and went crazy every time we scored. Next best thing to being at the actual game. 

It was so good that. One of my favourite memories from trips to Bochum.

• Like 1

Hereford 1-3 Leicester, April 11th 2009. 

In League 1 when we took over about half of the ground lol 

Lloyd Dyer's goal and following celebration in particular!

Crazy to think that they don't exist in the same form anymore and we are where we are in that space of time.

Fun fact, their goalkeeper on the day is now RB Leipzig's number one

Edited by AjcW
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

1992 ZDS Cup Northern Section Semi Final.

Notts County v Leicester City.

If you know, you know :thumbup:

I know.

Yes, this must go down as one of my favourites.    I always remember the Blackburn away with Kevin ruster Russel scoring s goal .  We were shot then but had great away days.......

1 hour ago, Japanfox said:

I know.

Yes, this must go down as one of my favourites.    I always remember the Blackburn away with Kevin ruster Russel scoring s goal .  We were shot then but had great away days.......

I know too. 

We'd been so starved any success that it was a tremendously expectant away following. 

The elements were truly awful but the sheer exuberance and size of our support was incredible to be part of. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Leyton Orient 1-3 Leicester in the League 1 season. That shit was crazy good. The sun was shining, it’s local ish to home for me, and we had an entire stand for the 3000/4000 fans just having a party. What a day out that was!

Great shout, lovely day out. Funny that a few league one away days have cropped up, was such a fun year. Seem to remember some awfully sunny away days and of course we normally won. 
Can still remember the mini ‘pitch invasion’ from a few over-zealous city fans when we scored at Orient lollol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

It was awful for that reason. There were so many people there who looked like they'd never been to a football match before, let alone in a Leicester away end.

It was the biggest game in our history and yet the atmosphere couldn't have been flatter. Glad we won it the next day when I could go mad with mates who I'd witnessed the worst of times following this club with, as well as the best.

For someone that now regularly misses out on tickets due to our success, reading stuff like this is so disappointing, yet unsurprising. Not going to wade into the season ticket debate or whatever because I know people will say ‘well they’ve bought their ticket so why shouldn’t they be there’ but yes does frustrate me. Seeing friends/family that had never ever ever shown interest in the club get a ST and go to important games just after we’d been promoted because of the premiership hype was a killer. Especially because none of them seem to have kept their ST’s

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Funny you say that.   

I thought it was also a very poor atmosphere at Arsenal away a few weeks earlier (a week after beating Man City away).   It seemed that lots of the people around me had never even been to a football match, let alone a City away match.

I could only think that high priority ST holders and executive box holders claimed lots of tickets, instead of usually lending them to friends, relatives, neighbours, work colleagues and any other rabble.

The away ends at unglamorous places such as Stoke, Southampton, Watford, Palace and Sunderland were great that season.

I've found this time and time again recently.  We tend to get a far more "tourist" type support at so-called big clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal.   Our best support is always at provincial clubs that the fair weather/tourist fans don't want to go to.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Great shout, lovely day out. Funny that a few league one away days have cropped up, was such a fun year. Seem to remember some awfully sunny away days and of course we normally won. 
Can still remember the mini ‘pitch invasion’ from a few over-zealous city fans when we scored at Orient lollol

My favourite away day moment from the League One season was the sending off of the groundsman at Bristol Rovers. 

12 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

My favourite away day moment from the League One season was the sending off of the groundsman at Bristol Rovers. 

I’m trying to remember. Was stevie Howard involved? Right at the end/just after full time?

37 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Funny you say that.   

I thought it was also a very poor atmosphere at Arsenal away a few weeks earlier (a week after beating Man City away).   It seemed that lots of the people around me had never even been to a football match, let alone a City away match.

Yeah. Most would blame the Sunday midday kick-off but even so, given the position we were in, it should still have been absolutely buzzing. Villa away last season was a pretty rubbish kick-off time too but was one of the best ends we've turned out since getting promoted.

Likewise in the Champions League, we were so poor aside from Brugge. For all the talk of brilliant days following City in Europe, many folks had a funny way of showing it abroad once they got through the turnstiles.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread with too much negativity so I'll give an honourable mention to Sheffield United last season as another I really enjoyed in recent times. Felt like old times when people were just there to enjoy the day above anything - another famous example of that being when James Beattie sunk us at Bramall Lane with a hat-trick after about 20 minutes the year we went down - the away end was still rocking with gallows humour all game.

Of the ones I've been to:

Rotherham away 2003

Orient away 2008

Soton 2019, although I missed two of Vardy's goals. I very nearly didn't go to the game as I felt like shit and the thought of a packed train ride to the south coast on a Friday evening didn't fill me with joy.