Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

World Snooker Championship 2021

14 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't understand why other players think someone needs to speed up to please them. Bingham average shot time was the same. 

Selby Murphy is a good final. Don't know if they are friends or not but my instinct tells me they could piss each other off 

I don't think it's really to do with average shot times, just the occasions where Selby will take minutes over one (usually simple) shot.

• Like 2

Hard to know what way this will go. Murphy is playing well but generally takes more risks. Selby is basically the snooker equivalent of Mourinho's Chelsea if on form - strangles the life out of his opposition through his excellent defensive game. If Murphy's off form Selby can successfully suffocate him.

29 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I don't think it's really to do with average shot times, just the occasions where Selby will take minutes over one (usually simple) shot.

That would indicate he's actually quicker the rest of the time if the average is the same. I obviously didn't watch the whole match, but Selby said in his interview it was probably twice all match and one of those was an occasion where he just had complete brain freeze. Is it really as bad as people make out? I think his grinding style and safe play is seen as slow play, whereas it's just risk averse.

People know what Selby’s about. It’s why he’s so successful. Doesn’t just win games by being defensive does he else he’d never knock in big breaks. He’s also not going to play into anyone else’s hands is he because other players don’t like how he is? He plays to his strengths and exploits opponents weaknesses. 

• Like 4

Just brilliant match play again from Selby, frame after frame he just knows when the time is to grind his opponent down. 

Other tha Higgins is their anybody close to him when it comes to multiple session snooker? 

• Like 1

By the way - that **** Dennis Taylor's anti-Selby bias is really winding me up. Even geeing up the crowd to cheer for Murphy.  (They should ban the effing earpieces - if you are lucky enough to get into the snooker you shouldn't need the TV commentary)

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, trabuch said:

By the way - that **** Dennis Taylor's anti-Selby bias is really winding me up. Even geeing up the crowd to cheer for Murphy.  

Can't agree with that, Taylor more so than any other of the commentary team has always been bordline OTT when it comes to championing Selby. 

Just need the obligitory shot of his wife so Dennis can give  it the " And there is the lovely Vicki, never far from Marks side. and a very good pool player in her own right" 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Can't agree with that, Taylor more so than any other of the commentary team has always been bordline OTT when it comes to championing Selby. 

Just need the obligitory shot of his wife so Dennis can give  it the " And there is the lovely Vicki, never far from Marks side. and a very good pool player in her own right" 

Maybe someone had words with him. I thought he was a bit anti Selby tonight. Selby had an outrageous fluke and Murphy had a bit of luck etc.  Or it could just be my Leicester victim mentality lol

7 hours ago, trabuch said:

By the way - that **** Dennis Taylor's anti-Selby bias is really winding me up. Even geeing up the crowd to cheer for Murphy.  (They should ban the effing earpieces - if you are lucky enough to get into the snooker you shouldn't need the TV commentary)

That worked against Murphy tonight. After that first pot in an hour. Taylor encouraged the crowd to cheer ironically and then Murphy missed a simple black next up. That can’t have been great to hear psychologically.

Also I can’t stand those who complain about Selby. Some of the pots last night were incredible. While they’re all complaining he’ll be picking up his 4th world championship (4 he wouldn’t have if he went all cavalier). Not bad for a ‘boring’ player, psychologically immense and a nice lad to boot.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, isaidno said:

Tickets on sale for 2022 today. The last time I went it was £12 for the first round,  it's £39 next year. :o

Thats nuts, I guess the demand will be there from non local fans who havent been able to go over since 2019 to compensate that.

One thing I can agree on with some posts is when commentators either try to orchestrate the crowd via the fan earpieces or make a leading comment to make it sound like they're telling the crowd what to do when they were going to do it anyway. 

Seems to happen more and more and gives the commentators too much power.

Went to a match a few years ago and one player won their first frame when they were 10-0 down or something John Virgo kept saying stuff like 'he deserves a round of applause for this' and 'the crowd will no doubt give him a great round of applause when he seals the frame' in a way as if to tell us to clap when we were going to do it anyway, what a tool.

11 hours ago, trabuch said:

Change Taylor to Virgo and you’re right 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bert said:

Change Taylor to Virgo and you’re right 

Yeah I noticed Virgos tone when Selby won the semi. Wasn't happy he was celebrating before potting the match winning ball, which is fair enough, but then said something like "He's done well. Yeah he did well when he lost 5 frames on the bounce" lol