Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SouthStandUpperTier

Who do you want Summer 2021

8 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Really surprised Stengs hasn't gone to a slightly bigger club. No disrespect to OGC Nice but they finished 9th in Ligue 1 last season. Is that definitely a step up from AZ Alkmaar? I guess it is in theory a more competitive league...?

I think Nice are lining up for a good season, it was a poor season from them to finish 9th, their new owner looks like he is willing to throw around a bit of cash as well

They have brought in Galtier as manager who just won the league with Lille, signed Todibo permanently from Barcelona, now Stengs, and already have some good players (Gouiri, Dolbert, Atal, Benitez, Thuram) and look to be signing more

Building a great project to be at

Edited by moore_94

46 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Which decent players do you actually want to shift, though?

The likes of Perez, Choudhury and Ghezzal are not going to fetch the kind of money we need to fill the gaping hole on the wing, never mind add a CB.  Most are not keen on selling Tielemans or Maddison, and selling either creates another expensive hole to fill.  Praet is likely good for 18-20 million and if he's never going to factor under Rodgers anyway should be sold, but who else?

Think about that list tbh, Praet plus change, potentially Perez but think thats paper talk. Maddison? Not likely, but potentially.

So Praet + Choudhury + Ghezzal + Bekovic might get 30 ish

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Think about that list tbh, Praet plus change, potentially Perez but think thats paper talk. Maddison? Not likely, but potentially.

So Praet + Choudhury + Ghezzal + Bekovic might get 30 ish

Well - maybe scraps like those three would bring in 10 million collectively.  Say you do get 30 million for that group - if you splash half of that on Kazak or Vestergaard, is the rest going to get you a starting caliber wing?  If we are maxed out until we sell (I'm not convinced that's true, but if) that's probably still not enough.

3 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Well - maybe scraps like those three would bring in 10 million collectively.  Say you do get 30 million for that group - if you splash half of that on Kazak or Vestergaard, is the rest going to get you a starting caliber wing?  If we are maxed out until we sell (I'm not convinced that's true, but if) that's probably still not enough.

I am expecting either the centre back or the winger (should we hopefully sign one) to be on loan with an option/obligation to buy

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

No, I am not sure we are maxxed out, especially this year when FFP has been paused, although as @moore_94 points out, loans with an option/obligation to buy (especially from those in financial peril) seems a valid way forward for first team RW and maybe CB too?

Moot point now, since reportedly we have already signed Ryan Bertrand, but I would have wanted us to pick up Alioski who was released by Leeds after they couldn’t agree on a new contract. He’s 29 and a good player who can play at LB, LWB and as a left-winger. He reportedly only earned 24K per week last season. Bargain!

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting how the opinion on Vestergaard has changed so favourably in a year. Another player who did quite well in the Bundesliga and then came to the PL and struggled and everyone thought he was a donkey. Kabak was ridiculously hyped up only s year ago, for £12m it's a no brainer.

Don't think he's a world beater but I think someone like him could be the right player at the right time. 

9 hours ago, CloudFox said:

Really surprised Stengs hasn't gone to a slightly bigger club. No disrespect to OGC Nice but they finished 9th in Ligue 1 last season. Is that definitely a step up from AZ Alkmaar? I guess it is in theory a more competitive league...?

He stunk the place out last season so a lot of the interest and hype arund him has cooled. He's got a lot to prove this season.

Nice may have finished 9th last season but the season before they qualified for the CL and they are obviously backed by Racliffe's billions, could be a club that's going places. Rumour is Galtier is going to be the manager next season.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

He stunk the place out last season so a lot of the interest and hype arund him has cooled. He's got a lot to prove this season.

Nice may have finished 9th last season but the season before they qualified for the CL and they are obviously backed by Racliffe's billions, could be a club that's going places. Rumour is Galtier is going to be the manager next season.

Galtier already joined, Todibo and Stengs complete, and sounds like Ratcliffe is about to spend a fair bit more

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

I think Nice are lining up for a good season, it was a poor season from them to finish 9th, their new owner looks like he is willing to throw around a bit of cash as well

They have brought in Galtier as manager who just won the league with Lille, signed Todibo permanently from Barcelona, now Stengs, and already have some good players (Gouiri, Dolbert, Atal, Benitez, Thuram) and look to be signing more

Building a great project to be at

Gouiri is an exciting talent! One to keep an eye on. 

Hypothetical question (Bored of work) would you sell Maddison for 50/60m if we signed Doku, with a clear intent of going for a 433?

• Sad 1

Just now, FoxinNotts said:

No, I don’t want to sell our best players, full stop. 

Even if we don`t plan to play to their strengths?

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Even if we don`t plan to play to their strengths?

I personally don’t buy into the whole have a system ie 4-3-3 and only buy players for that system.

Anyway, Maddison’s best period for us, was when we were playing 4-3-3 and he was one of the two number 8s (Youri the other) with Ndidi sitting, for example. Why sell Madders to utilise this system? Imagine:

Kasper

Ricardo/Castagne 

Soyuncu

Evans

Justin

Tielemans

Ndidi

Maddison

Doku

Vardy/Daka

Barnes

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FoxinNotts said:

I personally don’t buy into the whole have a system ie 4-3-3 and only buy players for that system.

Anyway, Maddison’s best period for us, was when we were playing 4-3-3 and he was one of the two number 8s (Youri the other) with Ndidi sitting, for example. Why sell Madders to utilise this system? Imagine:

Kasper

Ricardo/Castagne

Soyuncu 

Evans  

Justin                    

Tielemans

Ndidi

Maddison

Doku

Vardy/Daka

Barnes

I don`t disagree (As stated, was bit bored of spreadsheets :D ) but if as previous seasons imply, we were to shitft a big player, he would seem the least impact player to go, of course it may be that Youri goes anyway (God forbid) 

So the team could be

Kasper

Ricardo/Castagne

Soyuncu/Fofana

Evans /TBA**  (Or Cahill, just for @kingfox)

Justin /Bertrand                  

Tielemans/KDH

Ndidi/Mendy

Soumare/TBA**

Doku**/Perez

Vardy/Daka

Barnes/Albrighton

** purchased (From Maddison money)

Which isn't bad, but I honestly do take the point about retaining Maddison too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Some still talking like we have no money left to spend and must sell to buy a winger. Who told us this? 

If it wasn't someone like Percy then surely these are just assumptions and we don't know :dunno:

Past seasons do imply it, do they not?

16 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Past seasons do imply it, do they not?

they do indeed. but if we got say £12m for Choudhury and £15m for Danny Ward, that might suffice (i.e don't have to sell Madders or Youri)?

Also, a couple of relatively high earners, Big Wes, Fuchs and James are now off the wage bill, along with whatever Under was earning, so this should help with future planning

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I don`t disagree (As stated, was bit bored of spreadsheets :D ) but if as previous seasons imply, we were to shitft a big player, he would seem the least impact player to go, of course it may be that Youri goes anyway (God forbid) 

So the team could be

Kasper

Ricardo/Castagne

Soyuncu/Fofana

Evans /TBA**  (Or Cahill, just for @kingfox)

Justin /Bertrand                  

Tielemans/KDH

Ndidi/Mendy

Soumare/TBA**

Doku**/Perez

Vardy/Daka

Barnes/Albrighton

** purchased (From Maddison money)

Which isn't bad, but I honestly do take the point about retaining Maddison too

Now who’s the guy obsessed with mentioning Gary Cahill ;)lol 

Regarding your points though, as some other posters have mentioned similar.

The possible formation headache that many people have, has simply been brought on by Iheanacho’s form last season. With Barnes now fit again and coming back into the fold, do we stick with two up front or go for a front three, potentially pushing Iheanacho or Daka out on the right, hence why I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t sign this “Quality” right winger that many are craving.

That leaves a dilemma with Maddison, like you said yourself, it’s hard to fit him into a system. As part of a front three, he never works. As part of a midfield three, does he have certain attributes to play there, from the type of player he is you’d have to say no. He isn’t someone like a Marcel Sabitzer for Leipzig who often plays as a CM, but can also play as a CAM & RW, who is available by the way for a steal of £17 million ;) 

I've seen precious little evidence of this financial collapse of the French league except for Lille who win the league and will have a bit more money and yet flog a load of players. Other clubs are spending like nothings happened, odd.