Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Premier League 2021/22 Thread

On 23/05/2022 at 12:39, Sampson said:

Already seen some Villa fans nervous about who’ve they’ve been linked with under Gerrard. Feels a bit like when we had Sven and it felt like he’d only sign big names. Doesn’t really give the vibes of someone who cares much about scouting or has a wide enough knowledge of the game.

When Sven was manager here he just when down the list of players he knew in his phone book, signed them without thinking if they any good at this level or where hed actually play them. Gerrard is signing players as if he is playing football manager. 

2 hours ago, peach0000 said:

I think Pep deserves it more but I think managers like Howe and Viera deserve it more than both of them. 

I’m not sure taking Crystal Palace from 14th to 12th and getting 4 extra points should be enough to win you manager of the year tbf.

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I’m not sure taking Crystal Palace from 14th to 12th and getting 4 extra points should be enough to win you manager of the year tbf.

He's done very well with the limited squad he has, especially for his first season of prem management. But yeah, not manger of the season contender.

46 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Pre season they were in a mess. Had like no players and no defence and were coming off a bad season. I remember they were a lot of peoples favourites for relegation and sinking without a trace. But there’s never even been a hint that they were in trouble. That’s more impressive than Klopp not winning the title again for me 

Howe for me though is the only manager this season to achieve something out of the ordinary. People will point to the spend in January but really all that bought them was Wood, Burn, Targett and Bruno. Trippier was pretty much always injured. That squad should not have been able to get out of trouble the way it did. 

Edited by peach0000
  • Like 2

Balancing competing in four different competitions is an incredibly tough ask for any manager.

There is a reason the quadruple has never been done before, this Liverpool team have come the closest of anyone - Two trophies in the cabinet, the Champions League could follow and still managing to storm through the league only dropping 20 odd points.

They didn’t win the league, but kept pace playing about 10 games more than Man City - For this Klopp would be my manager of the year.

6 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Balancing competing in four different competitions is an incredibly tough ask for any manager.

There is a reason the quadruple has never been done before, this Liverpool team have come the closest of anyone - Two trophies in the cabinet, the Champions League could follow and still managing to storm through the league only dropping 20 odd points.

They didn’t win the league, but kept pace playing about 10 games more than Man City - For this Klopp would be my manager of the year.

It’s a tough one I can understand perhaps the LMA manager award but it’s the premier league one I find more confusing. Just surely that should be based on the premier league only and Liverpool finishing second isn’t that special in fact it would have been disappointing for the fans.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

According to dale johnson (Espn), they’d done a review of all var calls this season and how they actually affected results. If there was no var in use we would have finished sixth! 

The west ham game we win if VAR had done its job. And Brighton away so there's five points right there.

Always felt the luck we had in previous seasons ran out this year. Normally a believer that you make your own but we definitely didn't get much.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
  • Like 3

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/aston-villa/aston-villa-net-transfer-spend-over-past-five-seasons-3707848?page=2

I presume this doesn't include wages.

The 2021/22 Premier League season is officially over and it’s time once again for clubs to turn their attention to the summer transfer window - which opens next month.

While some clubs have over performed against a modest net spend, others have splashed the cash and perhaps not seen the results they would have hoped for.

Two of the current 20 clubs (which still includes Norwich City, Watford and Burnley who will play in the EFL Championship next season following their relegations) have actually made a net profit over the past five seasons.

However, the other 18 are firmly in the red with their income far outweighing their outgoings.

Aston Villa have spent a substantial amount on player transfers over the past five seasons including a club record £35m on Emiliano Buendía last summer.

Other big deals have included £30m for Ollie Watkins and £28m on Leon Bailey while they have also received large sums as well, most notably the £100m that Man City paid for Jack Grealish.

But, how does their overall net spend look and where do they rank compared to their league rivals?

Here are all 20 Premier League clubs ranked by their net spend over the past five seasons (according to statistis from Transfermarkt), from most profitable to least:

20. Manchester United - £479.04m

19. Manchester City - £424.81m

18. Arsenal - £334.73m

17. Chelsea - £240.33m

16. Tottenham Hotspur - £231.60m

15. Aston Villa - £221.24m

14. Everton - £219.25m

13. Newcastle United - £217.32m

12. Liverpool - £197.20m

11. West Ham United - £196.91m

10. Wolverhampton Wanderers - £193.27m

9. Brighton & Hove Albion - £182.34m

8. Leeds United - £135.30m

7. Leicester City - £123.81m

6. Crystal Palace - £87.92m

5. Southampton - £24.28m

4. Burnley - £22.72m

3. Watford - £17.25m

2. Brentford +£51.77m

1. Norwich City +£44.21m

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/aston-villa/aston-villa-net-transfer-spend-over-past-five-seasons-3707848?page=2

I presume this doesn't include wages.

The 2021/22 Premier League season is officially over and it’s time once again for clubs to turn their attention to the summer transfer window - which opens next month.

While some clubs have over performed against a modest net spend, others have splashed the cash and perhaps not seen the results they would have hoped for.

Two of the current 20 clubs (which still includes Norwich City, Watford and Burnley who will play in the EFL Championship next season following their relegations) have actually made a net profit over the past five seasons.

However, the other 18 are firmly in the red with their income far outweighing their outgoings.

Aston Villa have spent a substantial amount on player transfers over the past five seasons including a club record £35m on Emiliano Buendía last summer.

Other big deals have included £30m for Ollie Watkins and £28m on Leon Bailey while they have also received large sums as well, most notably the £100m that Man City paid for Jack Grealish.

But, how does their overall net spend look and where do they rank compared to their league rivals?

Here are all 20 Premier League clubs ranked by their net spend over the past five seasons (according to statistis from Transfermarkt), from most profitable to least:

20. Manchester United - £479.04m

19. Manchester City - £424.81m

18. Arsenal - £334.73m

17. Chelsea - £240.33m

16. Tottenham Hotspur - £231.60m

15. Aston Villa - £221.24m

14. Everton - £219.25m

13. Newcastle United - £217.32m

12. Liverpool - £197.20m

11. West Ham United - £196.91m

10. Wolverhampton Wanderers - £193.27m

9. Brighton & Hove Albion - £182.34m

8. Leeds United - £135.30m

7. Leicester City - £123.81m

6. Crystal Palace - £87.92m

5. Southampton - £24.28m

4. Burnley - £22.72m

3. Watford - £17.25m

2. Brentford +£51.77m

1. Norwich City +£44.21m

Interesting table but this type of information can often be misleading, you touched on it with the sale of Grealish which clearly cannor be repeated and skews the results a little.

BTW I think you meant to put "outgoings far outweighing their income" not the other way around. 

24 minutes ago, J. James said:

Interesting table but this type of information can often be misleading, you touched on it with the sale of Grealish which clearly cannor be repeated and skews the results a little.

BTW I think you meant to put "outgoings far outweighing their income" not the other way around. 

For clarification they are not my words other than the comment about wages.

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

so the manager who wins the title has to be the manager of the year every time?  

As you suggest if that is the case what's the point of the award and all the faff around it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No, but Liverpool and Man City are essentially equals to each other. One has done better than the other, so don't see how Klopp wins over Guardiola. 

If Liverpool win the CL on Saturday do you still think Man City has done better than the other? Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup v Premier League.

I'm not saying I believe they will have done but it's interesting.

4 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

The west ham game we win if VAR had done its job. And Brighton away so there's five points right there.

Always felt the luck we had in previous seasons ran out this year. Normally a believer that you make your own but we definitely didn't get much.

Neither of those games were included in the adjusted table as var did not make a call to reverse the on field decision 

the lino gave both offsides at Brighton and the ref didn’t call Dawson’s handball

the espn table that had us sixth assumed that var did not exist and the referees decision at the time was final 

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

so the manager who wins the title has to be the manager of the year every time?  

Thats what it seems to be really with a few outliers.

Its a pointless award if its simply about winning the EPL, like driver of the day in F1 always going to the race winner (which it rarely does).

If Liverpool won the league, Man City won the League Cup, FA Cup and CL and Pep won manager of the year, I have no doubt there would be floods of Liverpool fans bitching and moaning that Klopp should have won it.

• Like 2