Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Benkovic

12 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

The mystery deepens, in the Europa Squad but not on the PL bench. I think we are owed an explanation.

We don’t know the scenario around the squad for the Norwich game

Could’ve been a late call in the day on dropping Bertrand due to his illness, Benkovic wouldn’t have travelled anyway if so and Jakupovic goes to every game so easy to just put him on the bench

29 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Given the way the defensive injuries have panned out then it might have been a good idea in hindsight to give him more game time in pre-season.

In hindsight, yeah, but at the time? Not really. You don't not give your expected starters and primary backups less preparation than needed on the off chance you are going to have an injury nuclear bomb hit their position.

We were planning on shipping Benko out, giving him more preseason game time would only make sense with a crystal ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

In hindsight, yeah, but at the time? Not really. You don't not give your expected starters and primary backups less preparation than needed on the off chance you are going to have an injury nuclear bomb hit their position.

We were planning on shipping Benko out, giving him more preseason game time would only make sense with a crystal ball.

We had too few CB's in pre-season as it was, which is exactly why a lot of people on here were frustrated at him sitting on the bench.

Don't get me wrong, I don't rate him and I'm surprised he's still here, but at the end of the day he's an additional number to the EL squad.

Some words of encouragement from Rodgers about Benkovic seeing a change in mentality. Can't see where he'll get any game time other than the Carabao Cup, unless we have our Europa League group won going in to the last game or so. 

“He’s come back and had a good pre-season,” Rodgers said. “We decided to keep him here because of the situation we’ve had with injuries. With Wesley going down and Jannik and Jonny having some issues, we couldn’t be left short

“But I’ve also seen a shift in his mentality. It’s been a difficult couple of years for him. He’s played nowhere near the games he would have liked to, and I would have wanted.

“But he’s come back and over the course of these next few months, he’s going to be close around the group, and I’m sure he’ll get some game-time. Then we can assess it from there.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-filip-benkovic-won-over-5898509

• Like 4

The issue with Benkovic, is that he’s more injury prone than me. 

You could say that’s okay, as I’m not an elite, finally tuned sportsman, however …… I’m made of glass and have had more injuries than you can shake a stick at! 

He's 5th choice CB and will be 6th choice when Fofana returns. I don't see where he gets minutes, Rodgers saying that he's likely to get a chance scares me that we're heading back to 3-4-1-2 otherwise I can't see it. Mendy had more of a chance of games had he been picked as 3rd choice DCM. 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

He's 5th choice CB and will be 6th choice when Fofana returns. I don't see where he gets minutes, Rodgers saying that he's likely to get a chance scares me that we're heading back to 3-4-1-2 otherwise I can't see it. Mendy had more of a chance of games had he been picked as 3rd choice DCM. 

Depends on the cup draws I guess. If we play some lower league sides he may get a start. 

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

Depends on the cup draws I guess. If we play some lower league sides he may get a start. 

Still don't see it. If Evans and Soyuncu are 1st choice then we're going to have Vestergaard on the bench and Amartey and Benkovic not in the matchday squads. In Europe or in the league Cup you'd expect Vesteegaard to come in and possibly Amartey but we tend to rotate 1 first choice CB in such games. 

19 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Good chance he gets minutes in the league cup or the EL for dead rubbers 

I doubt Evans is going to be playing weekend and mid weeks very often, same with Vesty until his fully fit. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Amartey and Benkovic start at Millwall.

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Good chance he gets minutes in the league cup or the EL for dead rubbers 

I doubt Evans is going to be playing weekend and mid weeks very often, same with Vesty until his fully fit. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Amartey and Benkovic start at Millwall.

I'd be very surprised. Naming no central defender on the bench vs West Ham and Norwich was odd. Benkovic has trained all pre-season and hasn't been injured now for quite some time. I get that he'd not travelled to Norwich as they thought Bertrand would be on the bench but if we're content not naming a centre half if Benkovic is the only alternative then I don't see why we'd then rest 3 others in any game to give him and 1 other minutes. Won't happen. It will take more injuries and then he might get a cup game but I'd still not be certain, he's more likely to play Ndidi or Bertrand in there.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd be very surprised. Naming no central defender on the bench vs West Ham and Norwich was odd. Benkovic has trained all pre-season and hasn't been injured now for quite some time. I get that he'd not travelled to Norwich as they thought Bertrand would be on the bench but if we're content not naming a centre half if Benkovic is the only alternative then I don't see why we'd then rest 3 others in any game to give him and 1 other minutes. Won't happen. It will take more injuries and then he might get a cup game but I'd still not be certain, he's more likely to play Ndidi or Bertrand in there.

I agree if Evan and Vesty were fit, but I think we will be very careful with them, 6 games in September.

• Like 1