Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DennisNedry

Laser Eye Surgery

Speaking about the procedure itself, these days it's reasonably straightforward and swift. In Leicester, both Optimax and Optical Express come well-recommended, though the vast majority of companies that do this can be trusted anyway.

From what I've heard it usually costs about a grand all told and it gives you pretty much 20/20 vision for 10-15 years, after that it's not certain.

Personally, I've considered it in the past but I'd rather keep my glasses and I'm currently in a nation that doesn't actually have much of a pisstaking stigma about people wearing them (hopefully that's becoming less of an issue in the UK), so I'm staying put for now.

I've considered this but got put off by (minimal) risks.

I don't have a strong glasses prescription but it's getting more and difficult to play sports. For some reason I just can't get on with contact lenses. On about 3 occasions I've gone round to all the high Street opticians and more expensive independents, but whatever I've tried, the lenses just don't give good vision and a lot of the time, worse than not wearing anything at all!

I have the optometry World baffled. :)

I looked into this a couple of years ago. 

I decided to get three quotes and consultations - one from a high street opticians and two private ones. This was to compare what they said and what kind of consultations they gave. 

The private ones were a bit more in depth, and probably not a great surprise, but the Harley Street clinic was excellent. Really in depth x rays and discussions with the surgeon. 

I can’t remember exactly, but I think to get both eyes done it worked out about £3k for the high street option and £5k for the private one. 

I also spoke with quite a few people who’d had it done, and everyone said it’s really straightforward and painless. 

Turns out that during the consultations I was told that I’m not suitable for surgery!  I’d kind of prepared myself to have it done and was a bit disappointed when I was told I couldn’t. 

Hope your experience turns out more positively!

Edited by Milo

14 hours ago, DennisNedry said:

Been thinking about getting this done. Having just started researching, it's all a bit daunting.

Anybody here mind sharing their experiences (immediate/long term vision differences, cost, etc) and have any recommendations of which company to go for?

Cheers

Just don’t go down the DIY route with this one. However simple a youtube video might make it look.

Had mine done ages ago and was a guinea pig so cost sod all ...  halo effect at night around lights but that slowly disappeared after many months ...  only just wearing boots reading glasses now when the light isn't bright.  I played a lot of sport and it transformed my life.  Had worn contact lenses but after a complete fvck up by my optician I nearly went blind in one eye so went back to glasses ...  overall one of the best things I've done and if your eyesight is pretty crap I'd highly recommend it.

Just now, Countryfox said:

Had mine done ages ago and was a guinea pig so cost sod all ...  halo effect at night around lights but that slowly disappeared after many months ...  only just wearing boots reading glasses now when the light isn't bright.  I played a lot of sport and it transformed my life.  Had worn contact lenses but after a complete fvck up by my optician I nearly went blind in one eye so went back to glasses ...  overall one of the best things I've done and if your eyesight is pretty crap I'd highly recommend it.

61OfXQz2qTL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had it done in 2018 after years of glasses and contact lenses.

It honestly changed my life, the day/procedure itself was bizarre but it was worth it and waking up the following morning with UltraHD 4K Supervision was incredible, I just couldn’t stop looking at stuff that was so far away. Honestly reckoned that if I squinted I could see tomorrow.

over time my eyes have settled back a little bit - probably not helped by the fact that my phone screen is 10inches from my face 99% of the time but I would definately recommend it.

On 23/09/2021 at 11:21, String fellow said:

You're brave! Personally, I'd avoid anything like that, unless it was absolutely necessary.

The risks associated with the surgery are negligible so it didn't really factor into my decision making, it was more a question of cost vs reward. It's the overwhelmingly positive testimonies like the ones on here and elsewhere that convinced me it was worth doing :)

• Haha 1

On 26/09/2021 at 10:35, DennisNedry said:

The risks associated with the surgery are negligible so it didn't really factor into my decision making, it was more a question of cost vs reward. It's the overwhelmingly positive testimonies like the ones on here and elsewhere that convinced me it was worth doing :)

My own doubt about such surgery is really the long-term aspect. Every time I've visted the eye department at LRI in recent years, one of the questions they've always asked is whether or not I've ever had eye surgery - suggesting that it could be a red flag for problems such as PVD and glaucoma many years later. Refractive surgery of this type has been around for about 30 years, so does anyone really know how it could affect the eyes after, say, 50 years? Personally, I don't mind wearing specs for my myopia. Apart from bringing everything into focus and reducing glare due to the lenses being photochromic, they also act as a useful physical barrier, reducing the chances of small particles getting into the eyes.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/should-lasik-eye-surgery-be-banned#Spreading-the-word   

Edited by String fellow

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 16/07/2022 at 13:04, Houdini Logic said:

Did you have this done in the end?

If so, how did it go?

I'm considering having this done soon...

I had it done in December - but I had to have LASEK in the end because one of my eyes wasn't suitable for LASIK. Based on that, and the fact you'd most likely have LASIK like the vast majority of patients, my experience would likely be irrelevant for you.

However long story short, after a bit of a bumpy road, I now have eyesight 2 lines better than 20/20 and am very happy with my vision and my decision to have the surgery.