Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-1 Spartak - Post-Match Thread

3 minutes ago, mucfox said:

Unfortunately, yesterday showed again that LCFC is only a midtable club. There will hardly be any worse clubs than Moscow in the EL. But this negative form curve has been apparent for a long time. We have played beyond our means for more than 2 years. We were right to dream of the CL. We were really a top team and it was always great fun to watch. It was like a rush and the awakening hurts. The FA cup win vs Chelsea will probably be the last Foxes miracle for a long time. For me, the reason for the average performances of the last few months is the composition of the squad. In many games, 2 or 3 players show virtually no PL performance, which means we are constantly playing outnumbered. No top club can afford this wrong purchasing policy. Tielemans was the last player we bought who really helped us. After that, all we got was a bunch of followers. Who buys such players?

Betrand, Vestergaard, Lookman, Perez - all useless

Soumare - great body, but too heavy and therefore too slow (in his Lille career 112 games, 1 goal, 3 assists !!!)

But there are also other players who no longer consistently deliver their performances (Barnes, Pereira, Söyüncü, Maddison)

Overall, the squad is simply too weak for a top team...

I’m not sure. I’m convinced that some of these players can be performing much better than this! Barnes can be great, we all know that. Maddison (wtf has happened to him?!)

Pereira can be one of the best attacking wing backs in the division? Soyuncu… can be excellent too!

What’s confusing is why SO MANY of them have gone off form simultaneously? That’s the quandary? And ultimately it must stem back to the manager 

8 minutes ago, mucfox said:

The FA cup win vs Chelsea will probably be the last Foxes miracle for a long time.

Why was it a miracle?

8 minutes ago, mucfox said:

They are not "useless" at all. I grant you, Bertand hasn't been at all impressive since he arrived but neither was Evans. Vestergaard has strengths to his game, but is certainly sluggish, but both are squad players - cover, Lookman is a huge talent and Perez can influence a game - albeit far too infrequently. 

We are a midtable team because the league has raised the bar this season and our tempo, press and too often, finishing has deserted us up to now. 

Yet again, we started far too slowly against Arsenal last Saturday. But in the second half there wasn't much separating both sides. Again, we had opportunities to score and even win it. Had we have done so we would have been fifth  - and last night had Soumare's rocket been an inch lower and to the right, 90% of these posts over the last week never happen. 

It's Foxes Talk. It will never change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

But the system is contributing. 5 at the back is a system that requires mastery of it to be effective otherwise it leaves you exposed at both ends of the pitch as you don't have enough players or movement up the pitch and then you get too many mismatches in defence with players not knowing who to pick up. It's not the cause of our problems but it's definitely not helping.

Sorry for me it ain't Rocket science..

You have various skill sets,they put the shirt on & go out &  play football..

That search for movement, transition & translation ( and transgression) comes from the guys who tread over the

white- Wash..The coach manager is not there to tell them how to play 

football,but to "coach direct & support"

That squad he has available...

some modern players just don't take responsibility for needing to grab the game from their areal part of the game.

I mean lets stop pissing on the soap,

we have played various great games

With 3..4,..& 5 at the back, as we have also been poor..The players are there

to make it work..days of team sheet

Wingers, inside- forwards,Left/Right- Half's are long gone..

The not so old created modern 

Wing- backs jobs changes every few seasons..& just because one puts for

Example maddison on the team sheet,doesn't mean he will play as a

Wingman..Team sheets are there just to put a name up on the board..

In this below AVG season, I at least like

to watch Perez..he is one that still attacks the opposition & drives forward with great ideas & thought, then most of the time forgets why.

:facepalm: and at the moment like others, can't keep that front-foot drive going for 70-90 minute & drifts..to wayward- fiestas..

Mind you good banter...:cheers:

9 hours ago, smudger63 said:

Somoure or Tielemans should have done more to track the run as well.  We are getting killed down the sides at the moment, with the formation we are playing, and with Rodgers wanting to keep his full backs so high up the pitch.  

I was keeping half an eye on Bertrand hoping for signs of improvement, and sadly for us it didn't happen, although his corners were good. If that is as fit as he gets it is nowhere near enough for a wing back.

But the one thing I noticed is he was high up the pitch almost all the time in the first half, whereas Castagne got back more, whilst also getting forward loads.

The tracking runners thing didn't really get picked up in the initial reactions on here, but BR was late speaking to the press, so I guess folks hadn't taken that on board.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat

1 hour ago, mucfox said:

Unfortunately, yesterday showed again that LCFC is only a midtable club. There will hardly be any worse clubs than Moscow in the EL. But this negative form curve has been apparent for a long time. We have played beyond our means for more than 2 years. We were right to dream of the CL. We were really a top team and it was always great fun to watch. It was like a dream and the awakening hurts. The FA cup win vs Chelsea will probably be the last Foxes miracle for a long time. For me, the reason for the average performances of the last few months is the composition of the squad. In many games, 2 or 3 players show virtually no PL performance, which means we are constantly playing outnumbered. No top club can afford this wrong purchasing policy. Tielemans was the last player we bought who really helped us. After that, all we got was a bunch of followers. Who buys such players?

Soumare - great body, but too heavy and therefore too slow (in his Lille career 112 games, 1 goal, 3 assists !!!)

But there are also other players who no longer consistently deliver their performances (Barnes, Pereira, Söyüncü, Maddison)

Overall, the squad is simply too weak for a top team...

You actually thought & believed we would ride a 12-15 year crest of the wave, with no slippery slope in between..Our finances -& playing power are simply not there to consistently ,regularly prod our poker into the

Top 4, or even top 6 fire. Our pride should be our guerrilla tactics ,irritate 

Then hit & run,nicking the odd pie on our way.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

I was keeping half an eye on Bertrand hoping for signs of improvement, and sadly for us it didn't happen, although his corners were good. If that is as fit as he gets it is nowhere near enough for a wing back.

But the one thing I noticed is he was high up the pitch almost all the time in the first half, whereas Castagne got back more, whilst also getting forward loads.

The tracking runners thing didn't really get picked up in the initial reactions on here, but BR was late speaking to the press, so I guess folks hadn't taken that on board.

... it would have been due to Bertrand's post Covid state that would have led to him not running "suicides" in order to make the formation work!!!

Back to a four at the back with conventional Fullbacks. Three in the middle with a #10 and two upfront.

It is all very well playing a formation but if you haven’t got the personnel to play it, then find another way. Stop trying to force a system because you think it looks good on paper.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....the bigger problem is the attitude displayed at the time of their goal!!!

What must it have taken for half a team to decide that "it was not my job" whilst playing in a team sport. There is something so wrong at this moment that until we resolve whatever it is that is going on within these players, we will continue to need to score 3 goals in order to stay in games.

Just looking at that, the problem is bigger than you think!!

We 2 do clash sometimes,but I must say there are things amiss with our mental approach & game discipline  

The "team" is not happening, something ain't fitting/meshing

Is our defence coach & coaching so wrong..or players so blind..?

• Like 1

While pleased with Leicester City's chance creation in Thursday's 1-1 draw with Spartak Moscow in the UEFA Europa League, Brendan Rodgers says the Foxes' finishing could have been at a higher level.

- Brendan Rodgers reflects on Leicester City's 1-1 draw with Spartak Moscow
- Daniel Amartey levelled Victor Moses' opener for the Russian visitors
- City are third in Group C in the UEFA Europa League
- The manager also looks ahead to Leicester's next outings in Europe

City were dominant on Filbert Way, with 77 per cent possession, 13 attempts at goal and over 800 passes, but it was the Russian outfit who went ahead through Victor Moses' header. Daniel Amartey, however, levelled the scores seven minutes later with a nodded effort of his own.

Jamie Vardy had a penalty saved later on for the Foxes, while there were several moments where last-ditch defending, or harsh luck, conspired against Rodgers'men. It's a result which leaves Leicester third in Group C, two points adrift of leaders Napoli with two matches still to play.

"I was pleased with the performance," Rodgers told LCFC TV. "I thought we played well. We had a moment in the second half where we didn’t track the runs into the box and we got punished for it. It’s happened to us before, at the weekend, so it’s something we need to look at. We spoke about it.

"It’s the dirty side of the game you’ve got to do. You’ve got to sprint when the ball’s gone past you. We didn’t go that well enough and the gap opened up. Other than that, we created opportunities, playing against a team that’s really deep in the pitch, and I thought we managed that part of it really well.

We had to work and create opportunities and I think we did that. At times, the final pass let us down. We were still getting into some really good areas.

Brendan Rodgers LCFC TV

"We created chances, but we just couldn’t quite make our finishes."

Rodgers noted Spartak's different game plan in comparison to Leicester's 4-3 win in Moscow last month, with Rui Vitória's men playing far deeper in Leicester. It presented a different challenge for the Foxes and Rodgers was enthused by much of their attacking play, if not their finishing.

"Out there, when they’re at home, they want to come and try and win the game, but of course, with our speed, the space opened up and that gave us opportunities," the Northern Irishman added. "Tonight, they sat that little bit deeper and it was up to us then.

"We had to work and create opportunities and I think we did that. At times, the final pass let us down. We were still getting into some really good areas. We obviously had the penalty, Kiernan [Dewsbury-Hall] had an opportunity. We put him on to have an impact because he’s got a goal [in him].

"He can get in the box and I thought Kiernan did well when he came into the game. It’s a shame because he’s got that goal in him and it was a really good header which looked like it was going in.

"We got into the areas we would want to really, really well. We just couldn’t quite get that winning goal."

City host Legia Warsaw later this month before heading to Napoli in December and Rodgers has challenged his squad to win both games to ensure they progress to the knockout stages of the competition.

"It’s simple, we’ve got to win the two games," the 48-year-old explained. "The beauty is, if you win the two games, you win the group. We need to get the result in our next game here against Warsaw. That’s imperative. We need to win that and that sets it up for the final round. It’s pretty straight forward.

"If you don’t win your home games, it makes it really difficult for you. We haven’t done that, we did it last year, when we got to the points we wanted. That’s our responsibility, but we sill have a great chance. We have to win the next game.

"With European football and Premier League football, the games come really thick and fast. You’re trying to get that freshness, that energy. We’ll have some players back for the weekend (away at Leeds United), which will be really good, and we’ll get ready for a really tough away game."

9 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Some sod told me that Amartey was ‘marking the back post’ on the Amartey thread?!

What a load of bollox!

Yeah I’m right. He disappears from that position. Castagne has a right battle if the ball goes towards the back post. What happens then? 

I’d expect the 3 CBs to be narrower than that. But Bertrand went walkies and midfielders didn’t track the runners, 

Carry on with the Amartey rhetoric though. (I actually think he’s terrible in possession but a very competent defender)

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

8 hours ago, jim5000 said:
While pleased with Leicester City's chance creation in Thursday's 1-1 draw with Spartak Moscow in the UEFA Europa League, Brendan Rodgers says the Foxes' finishing could have been at a higher level.

City were dominant on Filbert Way, with 77 per cent possession, 13 attempts at goal and over 800 passes, but it was the Russian outfit who went ahead through Victor Moses' header. Daniel Amartey, however, levelled the scores seven minutes later with a nodded effort of his own.

Jamie Vardy had a penalty saved later on for the Foxes, while there were several moments where last-ditch defending, or harsh luck, conspired against Rodgers'men. It's a result which leaves Leicester third in Group C, two points adrift of leaders Napoli with two matches still to play.

"I was pleased with the performance," Rodgers told LCFC TV. "I thought we played well. We had a moment in the second half where we didn’t track the runs into the box and we got punished for it. It’s happened to us before, at the weekend, so it’s something we need to look at. We spoke about it.

"It’s the dirty side of the game you’ve got to do. You’ve got to sprint when the ball’s gone past you. We didn’t go that well enough and the gap opened up. Other than that, we created opportunities, playing against a team that’s really deep in the pitch, and I thought we managed that part of it really well.

We had to work and create opportunities and I think we did that. At times, the final pass let us down. We were still getting into some really good areas.

Brendan Rodgers LCFC TV

Rodgers noted Spartak's different game plan in comparison to Leicester's 4-3 win in Moscow last month, with Rui Vitória's men playing far deeper in Leicester. It presented a different challenge for the Foxes and Rodgers was enthused by much of their attacking play, if not their finishing.

"Out there, when they’re at home, they want to come and try and win the game, but of course, with our speed, the space opened up and that gave us opportunities," the Northern Irishman added. "Tonight, they sat that little bit deeper and it was up to us then.

"We had to work and create opportunities and I think we did that. At times, the final pass let us down. We were still getting into some really good areas. We obviously had the penalty, Kiernan [Dewsbury-Hall] had an opportunity. We put him on to have an impact because he’s got a goal [in him].

"He can get in the box and I thought Kiernan did well when he came into the game. It’s a shame because he’s got that goal in him and it was a really good header which looked like it was going in.

"We got into the areas we would want to really, really well. We just couldn’t quite get that winning goal."

City host Legia Warsaw later this month before heading to Napoli in December and Rodgers has challenged his squad to win both games to ensure they progress to the knockout stages of the competition.

"It’s simple, we’ve got to win the two games," the 48-year-old explained. "The beauty is, if you win the two games, you win the group. We need to get the result in our next game here against Warsaw. That’s imperative. We need to win that and that sets it up for the final round. It’s pretty straight forward.

"If you don’t win your home games, it makes it really difficult for you. We haven’t done that, we did it last year, when we got to the points we wanted. That’s our responsibility, but we sill have a great chance. We have to win the next game.

"With European football and Premier League football, the games come really thick and fast. You’re trying to get that freshness, that energy. We’ll have some players back for the weekend (away at Leeds United), which will be really good, and we’ll get ready for a really tough away game."

This board really needs a puke option in the reaction bar.

8 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Brendan Rodgers LCFC TV

The content is what I've come to expect from Rodgers. I hope his public utterings are simply a way of protecting the players, otherwise, you wonder what effect listening to some of it would have on players over a 3 year period..

Where did this report come from by the way?

'We didn't go that well enough'

'We sill have a great chance'

Has proof reading simply disappeared from society?

9 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Every manager would of put these guys,through the hair-dryer for this situation and for 1-3 days.

Plus not forgetting Arsenal's first goal.

This. My biggest issue with Rodgers is this. Way too Damn stubborn.. Our main issues are defensive. We still don't man mark after so many issues with zonal marking. 

17 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Pass pass back back back. Pass pass back back back.

I don't know if there's a statistic for total mileage of backward passes, but if there is I can't imagine we aren't "leading" the PL comfortably.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I don't know if there's a statistic for total mileage of backward passes, but if there is I can't imagine we aren't "leading" the PL comfortably.

Whilst I agree with you, it has to be said you can only pass forward if players make themselves available to receive that pass.Strikes me out defenders often only have the sidewards/backwards option available

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

This. My biggest issue with Rodgers is this. Way too Damn stubborn.. Our main issues are defensive. We still don't man mark after so many issues with zonal marking. 

Look fella I bet you have your days...

We only see for a few minutes in a quicky interviews Any manager....

He like you - me might be also ripping his hair & Irish heart out ,over this last 8 months..His priorities & projection is totally different to we hands-free fans..

Plus all football managers have to be stubborn & follow their own instincts..

So using this has a weapon to demerit any manager is fan-talk..

He has rightly tinkered, changed subtely approach,used player resources available..brought in and dropped players..also tried to give and show patience, but returned them to the bench accordingly..( Maddison/Barnes)

Fans are worse & stubborn to stigma ratios because they are blind to what's

Being tried on levels they neither see,know or understand.

The word stubborn in a negative sense

Towards any manager is just another

Click-bait phenomena..Where fans take the bite so easily..

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah I’m right. He disappears from that position. Castagne has a right battle if the ball goes towards the back post. What happens then? 

I’d expect the 3 CBs to be narrower than that. But Bertrand went walkies and midfielders didn’t track the runners, 

Carry on with the Amartey rhetoric though. (I actually think he’s terrible in possession but a very competent defender)

.. if Amartey had dropped to the back post it would have in enticed them to squeeze up more!!!

The thing is if he stays on the back post they don't score, because that is where the ball ends up, but the position he has taken up is level with his back line. Bertrand is the culprit in this scenario, and just getting closer to crowd and stop the cross, may have alerted (they should have been anyway) the defenders in the box playing, ring- a -ring- a- roses, with Moses in the middle of all of them.

Shocking goal, but Amartey is not the problem here.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. if Amartey had dropped to the back post it would have in enticed them to squeeze up more!!!

The thing is if he stays on the back post they don't score, because that is where the ball ends up, but the position he has taken up is level with his back line. Bertrand is the culprit in this scenario, and just getting closer to crowd and stop the cross, may have alerted (they should have been anyway) the defenders in the box playing, ring- a -ring- a- roses, with Moses in the middle of all of them.

Shocking goal, but Amartey is not the problem here.

Exactly that’s my point. Amartey is well positioned in case the ball is aimed towards the second Spartak attacker but Col for some reason attributed blame towards him. 

I think you’ve got back and front posts mixed up there. The ball goes to the front post from the right flank 

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Exactly that’s my point. Amartey is well positioned in case the ball is aimed towards the second Spartak attacker but Col for some reason attributed blame towards him. 

I think you’ve got back and front posts mixed up there. The ball goes to the front post from the right flank 

....the ball may have come across from the right to effectively the keepers near post, but the ball eventually ends up going in at the Keepers back post!!!

41 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Mate stop talking bollox

Amartey is nowhere near the back post and is just as near Moses as any other defender isn’t he?? Unless I’m missing something?

The way i saw it was that Amartey was covering his man at the back post. Castagne then comes in and Amartey hands the man over to him and starts to move more into the middle. Thats fair enough, but the real culprit here is Bertrand, who, unlike Castagne does not get back to cover his man, therefore both Evans and Cags are left in no mans land, neither going to the man with the ball or effectively covering the middle for the cross. For me Amartey has done exactly the right thing but it was all a bit casual. The right CB should not be cutting out crosses from the left to the near post, that is Bertrands and Cags job. Add to that the midfield just didn't put the hard yards in either and we concede a poor goal that should never had happened.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, urban fox said:

The way i saw it was that Amartey was covering his man at the back post. Castagne then comes in and Amartey hands the man over to him and starts to move more into the middle. Thats fair enough, but the real culprit here is Bertrand, who, unlike Castagne does not get back to cover his man, therefore both Evans and Cags are left in no mans land, neither going to the man with the ball or effectively covering the middle for the cross. For me Amartey has done exactly the right thing but it was all a bit casual. The right CB should not be cutting out crosses from the left to the near post, that is Bertrands and Cags job. Add to that the midfield just didn't put the hard yards in either and we concede a poor goal that should never had happened.  

@Col city fan