Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-1 Spartak - Post-Match Thread

1st 10/15 minutes we were really good. Then they got into shape and we struggled to break them down.

Unlucky not to be 1 up with soumares effort that hit the bar.

Goal they scored was terrible defending, Bertrand should do more and free header.

we should’ve won, we didn’t but it’s still in our hands.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, teblin said:

1st 10/15 minutes we were really good. Then they got into shape and we struggled to break them down.

Goal they scored was terrible defending, Bertrand should do more and free header.

Somoure or Tielemans should have done more to track the run as well.  We are getting killed down the sides at the moment, with the formation we are playing, and with Rodgers wanting to keep his full backs so high up the pitch.  

Edited by smudger63

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Guess I'm watching a different game then y'all. I thought we looked pretty good 😂

Completely dominant in possession, shots, and goal scoring chances. We moved the ball well and pulled their defense apart. We were really unlucky not to win 2-1.

Screenshot_20211105-000330.png

We looked really good because the opponents were poor, 1st half we had so much time and space and still couldn't create anything because players/formation weren't set up to exploit that and when Spartak went 1 up they were able to bed in. The disappointment is because we are far better than that

18 minutes ago, teblin said:

This☝️

Kasper needs to sharpen up but the ball never should have made it that far! Just goes to show that stats mean nothing. Look how poor Spartak’s stats were and their outcome was the same as ours.

3 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

We looked really good because the opponents were poor, 1st half we had so much time and space and still couldn't create anything because players/formation weren't set up to exploit that and when Spartak went 1 up they were able to bed in. The disappointment is because we are far better than that

It’s just one thing after another this season. Say all you want about the man, but I honestly believe that Madders in place of Perez could have made a difference early on. But we’ll never know.

3 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Guess I'm watching a different game then y'all. I thought we looked pretty good 😂

Completely dominant in possession, shots, and goal scoring chances. We moved the ball well and pulled their defense apart. We were really unlucky not to win 2-1.

How many shots did their keeper have to save? He hardly had anything to do.

1 hour ago, lcfcfoz said:

Win the next 2 and we win group, and into last 16. Win next 1 and guaranteed to be in conference league.

Win next game by 2 and draw with Napoli, as long as Napoli beat Moscow and we go through in 2nd.

Win next game, and hope legia fail to beat Moscow, as long as Napoli fail to lose to Moscow.

The big flaw in this cunning plan My Lord is the usage of the "win".

Thought first half Bertrand Soyuncu and Perez were on a different wavelength when Perez found some good spaces. We obviously struggled with passing through their block so we should have put more balls between centre back and full backs. Evans, Castagne and Amartey were by far the best players. Iheanacho will always turn clockwise receiving so is too predictable. Oh and the guy who was shouting Bruno at Heskey was a right nob

11 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

This forum amazes me. It really is as simple if Vardy scores a penalty we win, no 13 pages of how shite we were ( We weren’t) Kasper, Castagne,Evans, Dan, Soyuncu, Soumare, N’didi,all played well, Tielemans ran his socks off on not his best night….and Bertrand put the corner in, Perez assist….Lookman won the penalty….we should have won, if Jamie scores we do…..love Vards pulled us out of situations for years, but it really is as simple as that,

We shouldn’t be relying on a penalty conversation I didn’t watch the game at all but the stats are damning just three shots on target says it all no matter how much possession we had, that’s diabolical no denying that!

Just now, Happy Fox said:

We shouldn’t be relying on a penalty conversation I didn’t watch the game at all but the stats are damning just three shots on target says it all no matter how much possession we had, that’s diabolical no denying that!

This is the crux of it 

if you make openings that lead to shots on goal then something will generally fly in at some point ….. it’s not like we had bundles of shots off target either ! 

they were fairly comfortable in their low block and we lacked the guile to either play through it or to draw them out and crate space that way 

I was there last night and it was dreadful. The movement off the ball was non existent, and the players were just playing the safe pass every time.

It's lucky we scored from a set piece because we could of been there til Christmas and not scored from open play. Not good enough.

When you look at the season up until now we've had a few good results this season but probably one good performance. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

This forum amazes me. It really is as simple if Vardy scores a penalty we win, no 13 pages of how shite we were ( We weren’t) Kasper, Castagne,Evans, Dan, Soyuncu, Soumare, N’didi,all played well, Tielemans ran his socks off on not his best night….and Bertrand put the corner in, Perez assist….Lookman won the penalty….we should have won, if Jamie scores we do…..love Vards pulled us out of situations for years, but it really is as simple as that,

Can you hand on heart actually say you enjoyed the game? It was a miserable experience (again).

People are moaning about slow play but the defence is still the biggest worry for me. We’d have still won if the three centre backs hadn’t given their forward a free header from a winger who was given all the time in the world.

I know we didn’t concede the usual two but I can’t remember them having many other attacks. A Sunday League side could have scored that if you give them that amount of time and space.

Really frustrating. I do hope it means we’re particularly fired up for Legia, who I reckon aren’t as good as Spartak, but they’ll set up exactly the same, especially as a point would probably be good enough for them. 

4 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

Its worth noting that this was the equivalent of playing someone like Barnsley.

Were expected to dominate the ball, they had 11 players back most of the time.

Its up to our manager to find a system and way of playing that will allow us to create chances and put the game to bed.

Regardless of result the performance again was poor and no different to what we have been serving up.

The annoying thing is that a lot of people only acknowledge it because Vardys pen didn't go in.

We continue to play that way, we will struggle to finish top half and that would be awful for a squad of this ability.

• Like 2

We were crying out for a player that could go past someone or take a defender out of the game to break their shape. With Maddison and Barnes unavailable and no Mahrez at the club, it left Lookman as the only player in the squad capable of that. Don’t think the overall performance was anywhere near as bad as some posters think. Just wish he’d picked Vardy from the start if he was fit. Leaving him out is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights and as frustrating as the Iheanacho block on KDH's header was, the keeper was saving that anyway. And I thought he was offside but clearly wasn't so that follow up would have counted. He just needed to get his foot round it more and it's 2-1. So many missed opportunities and simply bad luck on our side. Soumare, Vardy penalty, KDH/Iheanacho. We should have won that game and played OK.

Same old, problems scoring, problems in defence. Not going to get far this season in anything. Let's hope we turn up in the Carabao Cup. A chance to salvage what is heading to be a below expectation season. Who knows, we might have a better 2nd half of the season but I am not sure at this moment.

Benefit of the doubt in the sense we had Maddison, Barnes, Ricardo and even Albrighton missing so options for creativity were limited. Only Tielemans and occasionally Iheanacho will create anything. Nothing through the middle at all. The squad continues to lack enough  game changers, too many players are good when others are also good and it's a good team performance. 

1 hour ago, Reg Vardy said:

You are right to say that if Vardy scores that penalty we win. However, I think the frustration stems from the opposition being a dreadful outfit and we really didn't create many clear cut chances against them. I could certainly be more forgiving if we absolutely peppered their goal and their keeper put in a world class performance, but that's not what happened. 

• Thanks 1

Tough frustrating night against a side who came and parked the nuclear submarine and weren't keen on the ball being in play. Did shout "No, Forwards, Forwards" a hell of a lot again but when you try one flank and hit a wall do you just run into the wall or try the other end of it - to do so you have to go back first and look for a different, improved angle, frustrating as hell but this isn't FIFA where you press X,triangle and square and pirouette past four defenders. Harvey and Maddison are capable of going past people on the edge of the box, really needed one of them last night.

For the goal, I've seen this a few times with us, usually after our corners, we chase back with enough men to cover the opponents but instead of focusing on the runners they're more concerned about getting into position, equidistant apart, I shout "space doesn't put the ball in the net, players do" like I'm coaching 8 year olds, it's not the f***ing Red Arrows, I don't care if we're lop sided and stretched if all the men are picked up. What's the point of the 3,4,5 players arriving back in our box marking blades of grass whilst Moses has time for a cup of tea and a jam tart then heads home unchallenged. 

The cross? Bertrand AWOL for the cross from his side then a few minutes later as he ran the ball out of play that was it, I'm done, I can't recall shouting "Get him off" so intently since the days of Josh Low. "We've been sold (OK Free but still a squad place and a salary) a turkey! He's a dud! He's finished!". Playing 5 defenders and a DM or CM in Soumare, and they are defenders, none of this it's 3-5-2 stuff, and they have a free cross and unchallenged header?

Vardys penalty - was it his first touch? How long had he been on?

Nacho intercepting Dewsbury-Hall's header? Woulda Coulda Shoulda-not? Nearly a Roy Of the Rovers moment for the young lad?

Cliche I know, but the first goal is so important, they were never behind so never had to come out and play, they score a breakaway gift and solidly defend. If our Amartey goal comes in the 5th minute it's a completely different game.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Spot on

There really are some miserable feckers on here. 
If those stats don’t indicate a game that we completely controlled, I don’t know what does?

We just couldn’t find the killer ball to finish the game off.

And Vardy missed the penno

1-1

:)