Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-1 Spartak - Post-Match Thread

I said in another thread that Lookman looked great, and hopefully he won't have all the excitement and energy coached out of him. 

I didn't expect it to happen this quickly. How can a winger not at least try and take on a full back when he's 1 on 1 with space in behind? He just ran up to their full back half a dozen times and passed it back to Evans.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

He did try to take him on a couple of times early doors but Moses had his number. You can't just run into brick walls and expect to get through, especially if you've got team mates in better positions on the edge for a pass or a shot. 

He's a winger and had his full back exposed 5 or 6 times and didn't even try to beat him. I'm not blaming him btw, he's being told to do that.

The owners can't be happy with what they are seeing? Surely? They invest all the money to progress as a club, and build...like the training ground and stadium expansion....

We are going backwards. Not sure how much longer they will stand for it. There's only so many cracks the odd good result can paper over.

Edited by adejo92

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I said in another thread that Lookman looked great, and hopefully he won't have all the excitement and energy coached out of him. 

I didn't expect it to happen this quickly. How can a winger not at least try and take on a full back when he's 1 on 1 with space in behind? He just ran up to their full back half a dozen times and passed it back to Evans.

There is a real pattern of checking back when there could be reward in taking a risk and moving forward. I guess it’s a percentage thing they drill into them and I agree it takes a lot of the natural flair out of players 

There was a point against Arsenal in the 2nd half last week where we really went for them, Ramsdale was flinging himself about the goal, the crowd were loud and it seemed like a goal was inevitable. Absolutely none of that last night, in a game which we really needed to win. European football for us is a rare thing and the performance and atmosphere just seemed flat. Probably a combination of our horrendous 'pissession' style of football and the media representation that the Champions League is the only form of European football that is worth existence. Found the whole thing hugely dispiriting. A whole season of work to make it into this (not unwinnable) competition and it just seems like a dull inconvenience to the club and most fans.

• Like 1

There was a weird bit I saw first half when Kasper caught the ball from a corner, Daka started sprinting forwards and then seemed to think twice and stopped running. Kasper did then play the ball forward to Kel but it looked like there was a nervousness to throw the kitchen sink at them.

"We play from the back, we counter attack"...or do we? We got a great counter attacking goal at Brentford and I feel like it's a great weapon with the players we have, but we seem too scared of ceding possesion.

I don't think the performance was terrible yesterday and it was a very low block from Spartak, but we didn't really do too much with the ball we did have. 

I think we fall into this weird middle ground where we are too good for teams to come at us and too bad to break down a low block. Having said that we had the chances to win this one and then it would have been job done.

Thought we really missed Ricardo desperately.  Because Bertrand is dogshit, obviously, but also because Castagne just doesn't have the same ability to be direct.

As for playing Ndidi and Soumare together against that team for 20 minutes - don't get me started.

Edited by Deeg67

As I said before, we can't compete in European football. I predicted a ninth or tenth place finish in the Premiership, before a ball was kicked, and see no reason to change my mind.

What is so frustrating is that we have the ability to play great football, but seem to have lost the fighting spirit that produces it. Only a huge injection of cash would put things right in the longterm, and that is not going to happen, so I envisage things will get worse, but wont get better. 

7 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

As I said before, we can't compete in European football. I predicted a ninth or tenth place finish in the Premiership, before a ball was kicked, and see no reason to change my mind.

What is so frustrating is that we have the ability to play great football, but seem to have lost the fighting spirit that produces it. Only a huge injection of cash would put things right in the longterm, and that is not going to happen, so I envisage things will get worse, but wont get better. 

What puzzles me is why? 

We went to Wembley stood toe to toe with one of the most inform teams in this country and beat them…. I don’t understand a reason as to why this has happened? 

I wouldn’t say there has been a loss of desire, but they’re definitely playing with a sense of fear, and if you play with fear you’ll lose games. 

Sometimes it pays to play like Leeds, if you know you can’t defend then **** it, just go all out and try and out score the opposition.

We are a quality team full of talented players, which is why it’s so hard to pin point what the issue is? 

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

What puzzles me is why? 

We went to Wembley stood toe to toe with one of the most inform teams in this country and beat them…. I don’t understand a reason as to why this has happened? 

I wouldn’t say there has been a loss of desire, but they’re definitely playing with a sense of fear, and if you play with fear you’ll lose games. 

Sometimes it pays to play like Leeds, if you know you can’t defend then **** it, just go all out and try and out score the opposition.

We are a quality team full of talented players, which is why it’s so hard to pin point what the issue is? 

It’s down to the management surely? Rodgers sets us up the play in a conservative manner to control games and then score goals we just don’t have the quality to do that we are at our best when we “press teams and high intensity” 

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

You are right to say that if Vardy scores that penalty we win. However, I think the frustration stems from the opposition being a dreadful outfit and we really didn't create many clear cut chances against them. I could certainly be more forgiving if we absolutely peppered their goal and their keeper put in a world class performance, but that's not what happened. 

We did hit the woodwork twice….I am constantly surprised most posters on here never seem to realise the opposition played quite well to their game plan….strung 9 across the back, scored on the break, and then set up to protect it….Europe is a quite different game experience…..Moscow aren’t mugs, they are far more experienced in Europe than we are, beat Napoli incidentally……yet the feeling on here seems to be if we don’t win it’s because we are shite….

12 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

What puzzles me is why? 

Leeds are 17th incidentally, out of the Carabao cup, not in Europe and play once a week….we play twice a week…can you imagine the comment on here if we were in that position?

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Strange wasn't it. He's been as positive a player as I can remember since he came in but yesterday he just didn't want to run. Wonder if it was because he was bizarrely brought on at left wing back?

3 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

We did hit the woodwork twice….I am constantly surprised most posters on here never seem to realise the opposition played quite well to their game plan….strung 9 across the back, scored on the break, and then set up to protect it….Europe is a quite different game experience…..Moscow aren’t mugs, they are far more experienced in Europe than we are, beat Napoli incidentally……yet the feeling on here seems to be if we don’t win it’s because we are shite….

Ultimately we are at home, we have a far bigger budget and subsequently have far more quality than the opposition. I fully understand people's concerns, as most of our performances this season have not been good. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of this 'They parked the bus' excuse.

We were 2-0 up at Palace, and didn't create a single opportunity despite them bombing forward all game.

Wolves came at us, and we never looked like adding a second.

Arsenal came at us, and got a 2 goal lead.

Napoli came at us, producing the best display I've seen against us in Europe, and we still were very lucky to escape with a draw despite being 2-0 up.

Whether you like Rodgers, or not, there's no denying that he's got us playing extremely poorly right now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

The Faroe Islands have more international players and experience than our squad has, should we see a draw against them as a good result?

It's not as simple as 'if we don't win it's because we are shite'.....

We've been shite for 12-18 months.

I think the calls about European football being a step too far are misjudged. We absolutely romped home in the group stages last year. We played Braga and got four points out of a team who are a constant fixture in European football.

Spartak won that game in Naples because they were playing ten men for 80 minutes. They didn’t look bothered first 15 against us yesterday. Barely pressed. Barely challenged a second ball. Was it they wanted us to score and give them a reason to give up. 

Btw, another shithouse ref. He gave a great deal of help to Spartak’s keeper when he delayed that penalty for an age 

36 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

They are crap and were crap.

If this was an isolated result / performance then all of what you have said above could be taken into consideration but last night is a repeat of what we have seen for months now bar the odd result. Most teams come to us and stick players behind the ball and we struggle to break them down. I'd say that's a Leicester City issue rather than an opportunity to praise the opposition. For the first half hour of the game, Spartak barely closed us down yet we still did **** all.

We are bad all over the pitch at the minute. Very little to be positive about.

Edited by leicesterlad1989