Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

LCFC 1-1 Spartak - Post-Match Thread

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I mean the goal came down his side. 

I thought Bertrand, Soyuncu and Amartey were all at fault. Bertrand was absolutely AWOL for a start but then Soyuncu should be the second line of defence down the left hand side if the wing back has lost the attacker. 

Neither of them got anywhere near stopping the cross. 

The most criminal for me though was Amartey who was stood there absolutely daydreaming. I could have forgiven it if, I dunno, he was marking another runner or we were outnumbered or the run was late or idk. But he's literally stood on his own in front of Kasper while the goalscorer is completely free on his own a few yards in front of him. It was pathetic. 

This effed me off last night old chap. Sleeping on it hasn't helped.

See below a picture as the cross is hit. Why would Amartey (out of shot to the right) get involved in dealing with Moses? 

This is the point Tielemans, who I'd presumed was tracking Moses back in order to put some pressure on him, just sort of stops and actually appears to be cashing in his 'watch the game from our penalty area' competition token

image.thumb.png.d969b39a98f3ab756d7c1c8a676ca1c2.png

You can see Youri's run on this link from 4:22. What is he doing at the end? He actually move aways from Moses just before he heads it.

https://highlightsfootball.net/video/leicester-city-vs-spartak-moscow-highlights/

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

The Faroe Islands have more international players and experience than our squad has, should we see a draw against them as a good result?

It's not as simple as 'if we don't win it's because we are shite'.....

We've been shite for 12-18 months.

Fa cup, community shield….we were a lot shitter from 1965 to 2005….

I don’t think we were that bad last night - massive overreactions imo.

We weren’t as fluid as we can be and the goal was a very poor one to give away but on another day we win this by 3 or 4.

I appreciate it’s a results game and the fact is we need 2 positive results now to get out of the group. We have however been playing without some key players and having to rotate to enable us to compete on all fronts.

There are very fine margins in this game and if we had of won Saturday and last night there would be a much more positive outlook from everyone.

We should revert back to a 4 now and go with what we know. Let’s get behind the team and let’s get a win before the international break.

• Like 1

It's hard to be too critical of the team given the injuries we have and the sickness before last nights game.

As good as we were in controlling the Ball we still didn't do the basics right. the simple things like keeping goal side of attackers etc.

I think one of the problems is the players are becoming punch drunk from so many games coming so fast and all basically must wins.

What I'd like to see Brendan do is bring balance back into the team with Soumare Youri and Wilf in a midfield three and keep them there.

This will offer more cover for the Defense while also being a springboard for attack when we have the Ball.

It also means none of them are overworked and so better able to perform at their best.

It's just a question of Brendan instilling confidence into the squad and as players come back we will be fine. 

What bothers me the most is Rodgers thinks we played well last night, or that's what he says in public as a way of protecting his players? It certainly doesn't appease the supporters who can see through the bull shit.

If that's us playing well then it's no wonder the slow and ponderous football, littered with appalling decision making when we do finally get it forward and astonishingly vulnerable at the back continues week in, week out.

I'd actually respect him more if he came out and said, it's all well and good us retaining the ball at all costs and reducing the opposition to one chance but what's the point if if that's the end result? Take some responsibility for the predicament rather than claim we did well but that we are still in the same scenario game, after game. Surely he must see that it's impossible to be happy with those performances but know we have to do much better? Pulling pissers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmayne7 said:

Strange wasn't it. He's been as positive a player as I can remember since he came in but yesterday he just didn't want to run. Wonder if it was because he was bizarrely brought on at left wing back?

He will have been told to do it. It's the only explanation as to why someone who was previously so positive was suddenly so negative.

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

What bothers me the most is Rodgers thinks we played well last night, or that's what he says in public as a way of protecting his players? It certainly doesn't appease the supporters who can see through the bull shit.

If that's us playing well then it's no wonder the slow and ponderous football, littered with appalling decision making when we do finally get it forward and astonishingly vulnerable at the back continues week in, week out.

I'd actually respect him more if he came out and said, it's all well and good us retaining the ball at all costs and reducing the opposition to one chance but what's the point if if that's the end result? Take some responsibility for the predicament rather than claim we did well but that we are still in the same scenario game, after game. Surely he must see that it's impossible to be happy with those performances but know we have to do much better? Pulling pissers

He was very critical of the defending to be fair and pointed out how we haven't been tracking runners well enough.

But yeah, to call that performance good last night is unfathomable to me. Spartak are a terrible team who aren't used to parking the bus and didn't park the bus particularly well. They were quite open at times, didn't press, didn't try and counter and weren't very physical. Despite that we conjured up 4 shots on target, one being a missed penalty. That isn't a good performance, that is a ****ing terrible performance.

Rodgers will have been pleased because we kept the ball and that sums up all that is wrong with us at the minute. Take Lookman as an example, when he first came in his bright, direct and positive in his play. Fast forward to know and he's scared to take a man on and scared to play a first time pass or cross. It happens to so many players that join that it can't be a coincidence. We seem to drain attacking intent out of players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

He will have been told to do it. It's the only explanation as to why someone who was previously so positive was suddenly so negative.

So what would you have done? Put Thomas on, Leave Bertrand on and take off a centre back….and at the risk of repeating myself who got brought down for the penalty…..left wing back as I recall

4 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

So what would you have done? Put Thomas on, Leave Bertrand on and take off a centre back….and at the risk of repeating myself who got brought down for the penalty…..left wing back as I recall

I wouldn't have told our only player on the pitch with the ability to beat a man, so not take anyone on regardless of the situation 👍

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But we did play well. Everything was there apart from cutting edge in the final third and one moment of poor defending.

All of the patterns of play were encouraging and it only needed the penalty, the KDH/Iheanacho moment or Soumare effort to go in for everyone on here to be saying how well we played also, and how we looked comfortable throughout and ground out a good result. We don't need to be so downbeat about a 6/10 showing from the lads. 

Against a poor side who are camped around their penalty area it's all about cutting edge in the final third though. That's what we should be judging them on. Defending and build up play is straight forward in that scenario, it's all about quick passing, creative thinking, urgency and quality to get a goal and we were not 6/10 in that regard.

13 hours ago, splinterdream said:

If you heard tomorrow that Ole had been sacked and Rodgers was appointed as new Man Utd manager, would you be upset?

Yes I would but that said I wish he Rodgers would put all that to rest and say he is staying put with us for a couple more years. I know that is unrealistic but would be nice.

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

He did try 2/3 times though, but where was he meant to go when there was no space to run into beyond Moses? Sometimes you have no choice but to recycle the ball and start again.

There were a good 5/6 times he was isolated against the full back and just went back. Like I say he's been told to do it, I'm not getting at him at all.

6 hours ago, Raj said:

Be very careful.what you ask for.

You may be getting bored of your current girlfriend and the honeymoon period might be over, but you may never get a stunner like her again...

If you have such a girl..

Push her to apply for Rodgers job..

5 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

This forum amazes me. It really is as simple if Vardy scores a penalty we win, no 13 pages of how shite we were ( We weren’t) Kasper, Castagne,Evans, Dan, Soyuncu, Soumare, N’didi,all played well, Tielemans ran his socks off on not his best night….and Bertrand put the corner in, Perez assist….Lookman won the penalty….we should have won, if Jamie scores we do…..love Vards pulled us out of situations for years, but it really is as simple as that,

👍👍

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Not always, it can be very easy to lose concentration and start trying to force things, leaving yourself open to counters. We did all the right things in that scenario last night but just didn't get a result. 

You are right, we certainly didn't try and force things. As a result we didn't create enough and drew a must-win match against a team we should be beating comfortably.

We could have at least tried to move. Tried to pull them about a bit. But no, it was just static and predictable. I honestly think we'd struggle in the Championship as we'd play 46 matches against low-blocks and it doesn't really matter how good the low-block is, we just have no idea how to break down teams like that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Why do the ‘have perspective’ posts on here always miss the context and severity of the games we just played. You’ll see a reaction from the fans because winning was required yesterday and we didn’t show up. People are seeing a worrying trend that as we’ve seen in both this comp and the Prem last two seasons ends up in failure.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

More Bertrands fault than Soyuncu

...neither of them burst a gut to either go and close down the player with the ball!!!

Absolutely criminal that Bertrand can amble back and stand off the player allowing him the time to pick out Moses. The fact that Moses was allowed to move around in our box uncontested with a five yard space around him beggars believe. 

The fact the Perez was so impressive in the flick on at the near post has been overlooked.  An imperious leap to flick it on.

I have been asking for the player at the near post for some time. The fact that so many of our corners go there (not planned, just poorly executed) it is only common sense to employ a runner there.

25 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

But we did play well. Everything was there apart from cutting edge in the final third and one moment of poor defending.

All of the patterns of play were encouraging and it only needed the penalty, the KDH/Iheanacho moment or Soumare effort to go in for everyone on here to be saying how well we played also, and how we looked comfortable throughout and ground out a good result. We don't need to be so downbeat about a 6/10 showing from the lads. 

We didn't play well. Playing well isn't just retaining possession and then lacking end product in the final third, its way more than that and I think this is an insight in to the problem here. We didn't create that many chances, enough to pinch the game probably but that isn't usually the hallmarks of playing well.

I thought we started brightly and quickly but the longer the 1st half wore on and Spartak set in and the longer we went without creating any decent chances bar Soumares rocket, the more laboured and ponderous we got.

I keep reading if the 2 chances we'd had that hit the woodwork and the penalty had gone in then we'd have won 4-1, but that's basically taking every close chance we had as goals and ignoring that even the most successful teams in the history of football don't put away every big chance, in fact they probably put away less than half. We didn't create that much and we seldom do these days.

If that's your barometer of us playing well then no wonder there's apologists queueing up to defend us at the minute. Perturbing.

• Like 1

Just now, Ric Flair said:

We didn't play well. Playing well isn't just retaining possession and then lacking end product in the final third, its way more than that and I think this is an insight in to the problem here. We didn't create that many chances, enough to pinch the game probably but that isn't usually the hallmarks of playing well.

I thought we started brightly and quickly but the longer the 1st half wore on and Spartak set in and the longer we went without creating any decent chances bar Soumares rocket, the more laboured and ponderous we got.

I keep reading if the 2 chances we'd had that hit the woodwork and the penalty had gone in then we'd have won 4-1, but that's basically taking every close chance we had as goals and ignoring that even the most successful teams in the history of football don't put away every big chance, in fact they probably put away less than half. We didn't create that much and we seldom do these days.

If that's your barometer of us playing well then no wonder there's apologists queueing up to defend us at the minute. Perturbed.

We didn’t play well. We had the advantage and we f**ked it. Even the commentators were saying “Leicester is going to win, it’s just a matter of when are they going to score”. Problem is, our boys had the same pissing mind set, and that’s why Spartak scored first. We got complacent and didn’t bother to defend anywhere close to what we should have been. Can’t rely on a cold Schmeichel to save every bloody shot.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KFS said:

Why do the ‘have perspective’ posts on here always miss the context and severity of the games we just played. You’ll see a reaction from the fans because winning was required yesterday and we didn’t show up. People are seeing a worrying trend that as we’ve seen in both this comp and the Prem last two seasons ends up in failure.

And we would have won had Vardy scored the penalty or Iheanacho didn’t clear KDHs shot off the line. 

23 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

How do you know that though? And yeah he was isolated agreed, but then he would've just got to the byline and had a load of Spartak defenders crowding out the centre whilst trying to swing a ball in on his weaker foot. 

I think you're right not to get at him, but can't get at Rodgers either and say it's what he's told to do. It was just the best thing to do in that scenario. I think most wingers would have done the same. 

Because when he first joined he wasn't doing it, he was running with enthusiasm and taking people on in wide areas. I said it at the time that it was refreshing and hopefully it wouldn't get coached out of him. It's already happened.

That was the entire point of my original post.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

If that's your barometer of us playing well then no wonder there's apologists queueing up to defend us at the minute. Perturbing.

I genuinely do think we were not far off thrashing them last night.

Firstly, the goal we conceded was Mickey Mouse defending (yet again) with no-one getting anywhere near Moses for the header. We were ‘statuesque’ for that one

And down the other end, it was about the lack of a final ball to create enough clear cut chances. But that was based more on the fact that Spartak simply came to get men behind the ball and try to nick one from set pieces etc

For those saying it was dreadful, we’ve seen an awful lot worse than that already this season. By comparison, I think last night’s performance was a lot better than some of the garbage we’ve churned out already this term.

And if Vards had slotted away his penalty we’d have gotten the three points and this place wouldn’t be quite the level of doom and gloom it’s been since last night

It’s all about fine margins. We didn’t play particularly brilliantly last night but I’m not having we were as bad as so many on this barmy forum are making out we were