Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
moore_94

Praet

It isn't about what a player is worth, it's about what a club thinks they can get him for.  The world knows we have no leverage with Praet - he and the manager have terminally fallen out, he's on a high salary, and our hands are tied.  He's easily worth 15-20 million on merits but why would a club pay that when we have no option but to try and move him somewhere for whatever we get?

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

It isn't about what a player is worth, it's about what a club thinks they can get him for.  The world knows we have no leverage with Praet - he and the manager have terminally fallen out, he's on a high salary, and our hands are tied.  He's easily worth 15-20 million on merits but why would a club pay that when we have no option but to try and move him somewhere for whatever we get?

isn’t that exactly what a players worth is? What they can get for him?

If you want to be pedantic sure, that's one measure of it.  Another would be how much a player's value is based on their ability, not their contract situation.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

Praet is never going to be wanted by the top Serie A clubs like Milan, Juve, Napoli etc and his wages and £15m + transfer fee puts him out of reach for the clubs that would be interested in him there. 

I think we'd be very lucky to move him on and recoup £10-15m.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

You know , Dennis is a good player when fit. If you are expecting fireworks ,go somewhere else, he is a solid workhorse. We have seen how reliable Dan and Papy have been this season and Dennis is at least as good. If I was Top, I would tell Rodgers to get over himself and bring him back into the squad. You don't invest millions in a player and not at least try to get your money's worth.

I like Praet, he's a similar sort of player to KDH. He's not as impactful though to this side ad KDH has been and given the money Praet is on, I can see why we'd look to move him on but if we haven't got anyone willing to pay us a decent fee then I'd absolutely have him back here.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

You know , Dennis is a good player when fit. If you are expecting fireworks ,go somewhere else, he is a solid workhorse. We have seen how reliable Dan and Papy have been this season and Dennis is at least as good. If I was Top, I would tell Rodgers to get over himself and bring him back into the squad. You don't invest millions in a player and not at least try to get your money's worth.

It's a good thought but I truly believe that relationship is beyond reparable.  Rodgers made this bed and now the club has to lie in it - if that means selling Praet for a couple million to anyone who'll pay the wages, not sure we'll have much of a choice. 

3 hours ago, Stadt said:

We need to trim our wage budget down quite quickly. Shifting Praet for £12m and getting £60k off the wage bill (we might have to pay a % still) is better than paying something like half of his wages whilst he's on loan for a few years and then selling him for a much lower fee. He still gets in for Belgium and has been decent when he's played for Torino so you'd think a top 8 club in Italy would stretch for him. Maybe Atalanta if Congerton has any influence yet.

If we could do that it would be a no brainer.

KDH is a better fit and has cost us nothing, I don't see a place in the squad for Praet with the emergence of KDH. 

I’m not convinced we’ve ever actually played him in his position properly. The only real time was one of his first games when we played Sheffield u away with a diamond. 

He always seemed to have to adapt in some way to accommodate youri. Of course that makes sense but I will always wonder if the youri replacement was here all along. 

im absolutely convinced he’s a better fit for us than soumare, so it’s a shame he’ll be off. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I’m not convinced we’ve ever actually played him in his position properly. The only real time was one of his first games when we played Sheffield u away with a diamond. 

He always seemed to have to adapt in some way to accommodate youri. Of course that makes sense but I will always wonder if the youri replacement was here all along. 

im absolutely convinced he’s a better fit for us than soumare, so it’s a shame he’ll be off. 

...the talk from abroad was that he was a better player than  Youri!!!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I know what you mean, now that we have KDH screening that left central position, Praet doung the same on the right with Maddison at the tip and Ndidi or Mendy at the base would be frightening with a back 4 of Justin, Fofana, Evans and Castagne/Ricardo. Any two of Vardy/Daka/Iheanacho/Barnes and we go 100 goals 100 points and Pep and Klopp ask for 11 subs to be allowed.

If we do need to replace Youri then we can perhaps go for a younger player with a bit to learn if we had Dennis as backup. It might be wise to let Soumare move on then, He seems a wrong fit for us. He is a talented young player and in another team would find the right set up to suit his skills.

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

If we do need to replace Youri then we can perhaps go for a younger player with a bit to learn if we had Dennis as backup. It might be wise to let Soumare move on then, He seems a wrong fit for us. He is a talented young player and in another team would find the right set up to suit his skills.

So you're willing to give Praet yet another chance while you're already binning off Soumaré as a failure? Oh come on now. 

Also, Praet's contract is running out next year, in no way do I believe he'll be in any plans spanning further than even a single year so an extension is off the table and seeing how we would do well not to lose him on a free the smartest thing would be to cash in this summer and just close the case.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

So you're willing to give Praet yet another chance while you're already binning off Soumaré as a failure? Oh come on now. 

Also, Praet's contract is running out next year, in no way do I believe he'll be in any plans spanning further than even a single year so an extension is off the table and seeing how we would do well not to lose him on a free the smartest thing would be to cash in this summer and just close the case.

I don't think Soumare has failed ,he just doesn't fit our normal style of play. The arrival of KDH has shifted Rodgers away from his lone striker dogma. The diamond seems to fit us better now and Soumare is not ideal for that role. Tielemans is playing as the right side of that formation and Praet is equally able to do that. The front men Barnes, Iheanacho , Daka and now Vardy operate more effectively as a pair. The lethal form of Maddison has helped him a lot of course. Jimmy is part striker these days.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

I don't think Soumare has failed ,he just doesn't fit our normal style of play. The arrival of KDH has shifted Rodgers away from his lone striker dogma. The diamond seems to fit us better now and Soumare is not ideal for that role. Tielemans is playing as the right side of that formation and Praet is equally able to do that. The front men Barnes, Iheanacho , Daka and now Vardy operate more effectively as a pair. The lethal form of Maddison has helped him a lot of course. Jimmy is part striker these days.

Sorry we aren't paying a diamond. We are playing a 4-3-3

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Sorry we aren't paying a diamond. We are playing a 4-3-3

Well we played Mendy, Tielemans, KDH and Maddison in the last match . You can call it what you like of course but it seemed that way to me.

18 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Well we played Mendy, Tielemans, KDH and Maddison in the last match . You can call it what you like of course but it seemed that way to me.

Exactly.

I know all the cool kids hate the diamond.  But a diamond of Maddison, Praet, KDH and Ndidi could be a formidable and really well-balanced midfield.  Especially if you sign a true RW who can give you some attacking width on that side.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Exactly.

I know all the cool kids hate the diamond.  But a diamond of Maddison, Praet, KDH and Ndidi could be a formidable and really well-balanced midfield.  Especially if you sign a true RW who can give you some attacking width on that side.

How do you play a diamond and a RW out of interest? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Foxes96 said:

How do you play a diamond and a RW out of interest? 

Either as your 2nd striker or by playing a 3-4-3.  Which are formations we'll likely never use under Rodgers, and Praet isn't coming back under Rodgers anyway by mutual choice so it's all moot.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

This will involve ditching this RW obsession which did not exist before Mahrez.

Oh please, let it be so.

Edited by frakenfox
try to avoid the ambiguity...

7 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

With a diamond the front two play the right side and left side channels . There are no wingers and no central striker. This will involve ditching this RW obsession which did not exist before Mahrez.

....the RW is not an obsession, we had players in that position who did not shine, in the way Mahrez has shone, since he made it his own!!!

We had players such as Lloyd Dyer on the left and Ben Marshall wide right. We did not have a Stellar player in that role and we now realise what a top class player in that position could bring. You would be naïve not to seek to mitigate the loss of service and goals that the position gave us.

At present with Barnes on the left and no recognised RW we are missing an opening to achieve league places that we could only imagine. United will soon get it right, Spurs will probably struggle again once Conte leaves (he does not tend to stick around too long) Arsenal have been out of sorts and are now sorting themselves out, we need to be the team where we have everything in place to capitalise on any stumbles made by the big teams.

We are missing a trick if we keep avoiding filling this position, with a bonafide wide man who relishes playing in the role, as opposed to, someone who we choose to shoehorn as it gets them on the team sheet.

• Like 1