Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

Ive been struggling with my right shin since Wakefield 10k 3 weeks ago. It went from being a sharp pain and struggling to weight bear to a dull ache which radiated through my leg and made just walking feel awkward. The past 3 weeks have been rubbish, we live on the main road out of our village where runners will head on to trails or where those running through the village will come past, seeing the sheer numbers go past my window daily as the weather has improved has been tough. Hoping to get back out for a 3k tomorrow.

52 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Ive been struggling with my right shin since Wakefield 10k 3 weeks ago. It went from being a sharp pain and struggling to weight bear to a dull ache which radiated through my leg and made just walking feel awkward. The past 3 weeks have been rubbish, we live on the main road out of our village where runners will head on to trails or where those running through the village will come past, seeing the sheer numbers go past my window daily as the weather has improved has been tough. Hoping to get back out for a 3k tomorrow.

If you're in pain, don't move on it. Book in with GP or physio. Do some hot and cold therapy, then stretches 

15 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

If you're in pain, don't move on it. Book in with GP or physio. Do some hot and cold therapy, then stretches 

I’ve been pain free for 3-4 days at this point, my original concern was a small stress fracture as it was only in one leg, the fact it appears to be gone with nearly 3 weeks full rest suggest it was shin splints but only on the one leg. 3k will be a test run and if pain comes back or it doesn’t feel right it’s off to the GP. 

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Posted in the gym thread, decided on Tuesday I would attempt to run a marathon on no training thinking I would stumble much sooner. Only went and did it without stopping, the last 10 and 5k felt like they were never going to end.

That’s mad fair play and well done mate 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Posted in the gym thread, decided on Tuesday I would attempt to run a marathon on no training thinking I would stumble much sooner. Only went and did it without stopping, the last 10 and 5k felt like they were never going to end.

You mentalist. The last 10k of the 10k I trained for felt like crap to me this morning.

I'm amazed how many people do what you've done, you must have some inner strength I just don't. How are you feeling now?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You mentalist. The last 10k of the 10k I trained for felt like crap to me this morning.

I'm amazed how many people do what you've done, you must have some inner strength I just don't. How are you feeling now?

Mate, im absolutely ****ed and can barely walk 😂.

The first half felt like a stroll in the park, probably down to me being able to do about 9 miles of it along the canal but when I hit Moutsorrel/Rothley way and the hills came I started to wobble.

The last bit felt like it would go on forever, I was running round in circles in Loughborough trying to avoid anything that resembled a hill.

In the last 2 weeks I've done 8 and 9 miles around where I live in the Peak. At least 2-3 miles of each run has been up a solid hill.

My average pace on my last 9 miler yesterday was the same average I had on my first Half, through Manchester. I'm convinced I can do a 2 hour half. Am I mad?

My time last year was 2.17. 

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

In the last 2 weeks I've done 8 and 9 miles around where I live in the Peak. At least 2-3 miles of each run has been up a solid hill.

My average pace on my last 9 miler yesterday was the same average I had on my first Half, through Manchester. I'm convinced I can do a 2 hour half. Am I mad?

Nah, keep training on hills mate and then when you run on a normal route it will feel like a walk in the park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

No. That sort of training is absolutely ideal. You  wait until have a flat half you’ll fly 

• Like 1

23:07 at Abbey Park - That’s my new personal best. 

That felt really progression - I was shifting halfway around but I felt relaxed and knew I had more to give. Sub 23 is the aim this summer and want to achieve a sub 50 10k again.

Long distance feeling a bit of a chore but going to push myself out to a 3 hour time trail eventually. 

I have no races lined up bar Sutton Fun Run - so its made me concentrate a bit on mixing it up. Increasing number of runs but not necessarily mileage. 

1 hour ago, waddadamadda said:

Down in London ready to run tomorrow and I can’t wait for it to be over as I am far too old for this shizzle. Taking a few weeks out and then getting back into proper race mode and restarting the sub 25 mission. 

Good luck! 

Had my first pull out with cramp yesterday. Not had cramp on a run since I started running about 3-4 years ago.

It was probably no coincidence that it was a different park, I was stressed and massively out of my pre run routine. 

Had warmed up, did my first mile in 8.20 (even with some horrendous bottlenecks) but my left calf just gave up.

17 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Was walking in Keswick yesterday and there seemed to be some big 5k race on. Overheard this guy saying he did it in 18 mins :nigel:

Probably up and down some fell as well.

When I used to go to the Lakes I'd be clambering up some 'path', terrified of slipping and breaking my neck, virtually on all fours and then some fell runner guy is just merrily hurling himself down the mountain as if it's flat 

Did Brighton Marathon 2 weeks ago today. Just slightly over my target time in 5hrs 13. 
Was so much hotter than I’ve trained in and pre race went out the window. 

But what a feeling crossing the finish line. 
I was promising myself I’d never do another as I was doing it. All the talk of London today has got me thinking of doing another. 

Thinking of doing the Leicester half in October to get a PB as two years ago was such a disappointment and I feel like I have unfinished business with it. 

• Like 2

Got a half marathon next month.

Did 13 miles on the dot today with a time of sub 1hr44. 

Sub 1hr45 was my initial aim. 1.40 might be a bit of stretch but I'm very chuffed with the time today.

Edited by maynefox
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, maynefox said:

Got a half marathon next month.

Did 13 miles on the dot today with a time of sub 1hr44. 

Sub 1hr45 was my initial aim. 1.40 might be a bit of stretch but I'm very chuffed with the time today.

Decent mate well done.

12 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

Loved London Today! 17 PB and crossed the line listening to Voulez-Vous. When you’re smiling was playing when I crossed Tower Bridge. I lost my shizzle at that point and ugly cried :unsure:

Congrats. I might enter one soon, not sure about London unless I got a ballot entry as raising that about of money is tough.

Anyone got any tips on any good ones to enter? Thinking Europe wide.