Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

Cambridge Half in six weeks. A rematch after being disappointed last year with a run there. Had a good month here - endurance is increasing, confidence is up too and be interested to see what can happen if I truly push myself. 

Managed 23k/14.2 miles in 2hrs 6. And didn’t feel too bad all yesterday. Strength training has defo pushed me on. Still off the gels etc but started looking into protein to help me. 

I’m trying to target a 1:51 Half. Cambridge is lovely and flat. But need to make sure something is in the tank from 15k. If I have some power in my legs, it should be really enjoyable because the crowds are massive around the city at the end 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2024 at 23:06, Nod.E said:

Thanks for the info!

I think you're right with your point of not overdoing it. I've just had to walk across town for dinner and my knee was killing me lol

I'll leave it a week or two and see if I can shave some time off. Annoyingly where I live it's difficult to find a route without doing some decent elevation. Definitely underestimated the uphill portion of my run!

That's NOT a bad thing! One of the best things you can do as part of your training is to occasionally just go to the biggest hill you can find and run up and down it, even if you can't manage that for long.

13 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Will do it’s weird I can feel the pain in my shins when I massage the calves. Hopefully it

goes soon so I can get back out there 

I used to get it a lot in my first couple of years of running but then it stopped and has never come back, so it can be beaten

12 hours ago, Lionator said:

I used to use this site for a rowing machine and was smashing 5000m in 22 minutes, absolutely dead on my feet then typing my time and finding out I was in the bottom 2%. Most people who register their times on there will be of a good level, not just your average Joe

I'm guessing the data set for rowing is smaller and more skewed to the serious participants. The running times look plausible to me, because I've known enough runners and been involved in enough events to have a certain amount of "data" in my head, but for any other discipline I wouldn't have a clue

Shin splints - warm up. And I mean WARM UP. 

5 min walk round your house

Go up and down your stairs a few times

Then follow this youtube video for stretches

Then jog on the spot for about 2 mins

Then walk round the block for about 5-10 mins

Then start your run. 

Honestly, I started off getting them bad but warming up and stretching properly saved me. Your legs will get used to the work soon after. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Curse of the new trainers today with a cut on my heel - first time that’s happened. How do people find new trainers ? 

I'll tell you when I wear the pair I bought as replacements for my current ones in about four years' time

14 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Curse of the new trainers today with a cut on my heel - first time that’s happened. How do people find new trainers ? 

I’ve had the same pair of ASICS for the last 3/4 years, buying a new pair every 6 months(before any Trigger broom handle jokes). I still always have to wear them round the house for a day or two, or even walk the dog in them, before a first run to avoid an issue.

31 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Bit unorthodox but I run in boxing boots. So comfortable. A friend recommended them to me years ago and once I tried it, never looked back.

Great on the road or on the treadmill. 

On 21/01/2024 at 20:59, CosbehFox said:

Cambridge Half in six weeks. A rematch after being disappointed last year with a run there. Had a good month here - endurance is increasing, confidence is up too and be interested to see what can happen if I truly push myself. 

Managed 23k/14.2 miles in 2hrs 6. And didn’t feel too bad all yesterday. Strength training has defo pushed me on. Still off the gels etc but started looking into protein to help me. 

I’m trying to target a 1:51 Half. Cambridge is lovely and flat. But need to make sure something is in the tank from 15k. If I have some power in my legs, it should be really enjoyable because the crowds are massive around the city at the end 

Ran 5:14/km splits over 17k on Sunday. Quickest ever 10 miles. 

Last year I did Cambridge in 5:31/km splits. Feel really strong at the moment and have a killer training two weeks before start tapering. 

• 1 month later...
On 02/03/2024 at 10:04, Bellend Sebastian said:

Leicester 10k tomorrow. First organised event I've taken part in apart from Park Runs since before the pandemic.

Disproportionately excited about it for some reason

54:28. Alright, but not great. Quite a twisty turny and up and downy course.

Sorry to get so technical

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

54:28. Alright, but not great. Quite a twisty turny and up and downy course.

Sorry to get so technical

Decent enough. Well done👍🏾

3 hours ago, Raj said:

Decent enough. Well done👍🏾

Thanks folks. I was a tad disappointed as that's a fairly standard practice time for me and I usually hope to go a bit quicker in an actual event. Now I'm home it feels like I'm coming down with a cold, so there's my excuse for being disappointing

On 20/01/2024 at 19:19, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think for any "non runner", that's very good, because let's be honest most people cannot run 10k without stopping.

I'm not sure where this site gets its data but as the figure for a "beginner" in your age bracket is about what you did and a good time for an "intermediate" runner in my age range (well old) enis eerily close to my PB, maybe it's a decent guide.

https://runninglevel.com/running-times/10k-times

I'd say that getting to a point where you can run 9 minute miles (so around 55-56 minutes for a 10k) is relatively easy and doesn't take loads of training if you're not in terrible shape. Going beyond this takes a bit more effort.

I'd be careful not to overdo it. Sounds like you've got to 10k pretty quickly, so I'd keep your runs inside this distance for now - building up distance too quickly increases the risk of injury

Done 4 10k runs now and got my time down to just over 56 minutes, improving each time. 

That site has a 'novice' (running for 6 months) at around 54:30 for my age. 

Given that I'm 2 months in, I reckon I'm making decent progress. I don't just do 10ks, I have been mixing it up with shorter runs, sometimes trying to set PBs but mostly just running at a steady pace.

I'm doing an event in 5 weeks this Saturday, my first run at an event. I think that novice time should be a decent target for me.

Edited by Nod.E

Did another 10k yesterday, happier with that than the event last week.

First half of it averaged about 8:12 a mile, which I was quite pleased with, unsurprisingly dropping in the latter stages but still only 8:36 a mile overall. Only got to knock 10 seconds off that to come in under my PB

My local park run is good because it's a 10-15 minute walk but...

1 - a mud pit

2 - a mud pit with inclines

3 - a mud pit with inclines that you have to take single file

4 - not a full 5k but around 2.9 miles if you're running it

I have resigned myself to clocking under 28 minutes as PB 

I wished I understood fitness a bit more.

Two weeks ago I was moaning because I'd prepared well for the Leicester 10K, but was disappointed to have only got within about 2 minutes of my year old PB.

The following week I was pleased with myself because I ran half a 10K at the pace needed to beat my PB before tailing off, but hey, it's something to build on, and the following weekend (this one) I knock more than a minute off my PB.

Obviously I'm pleased but equally not sure what I've done for this to happen

It’s amazing how quickly you lose it as you get older.

Got my 5km PB down to 23 mins during lockdown then i pretty much stopped running.

Couldn’t even manage 5km in 30 mins today. Completely fvcked.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I wished I understood fitness a bit more.

Two weeks ago I was moaning because I'd prepared well for the Leicester 10K, but was disappointed to have only got within about 2 minutes of my year old PB.

The following week I was pleased with myself because I ran half a 10K at the pace needed to beat my PB before tailing off, but hey, it's something to build on, and the following weekend (this one) I knock more than a minute off my PB.

Obviously I'm pleased but equally not sure what I've done for this to happen

If it's in any way related to what I'm doing at the gym now, it's to do with the body learning as you go.