Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

I’ve very recently started running. Hadn’t done it for years and decided to try a 5km a couple of weeks ago. Managed about 8 mins before I had to walk lol. Anyway now doing 5km in about 2mins and done a few longer runs. Did 10km this morning in about 65mins. However my glutes/hips are ****ed today despite stretching etc. Does anyone have any advice? Should you follow certain training programmes? I just went straight to running without doing research or anything. 

11 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I’ve very recently started running. Hadn’t done it for years and decided to try a 5km a couple of weeks ago. Managed about 8 mins before I had to walk lol. Anyway now doing 5km in about 2mins and done a few longer runs. Did 10km this morning in about 65mins. However my glutes/hips are ****ed today despite stretching etc. Does anyone have any advice? Should you follow certain training programmes? I just went straight to running without doing research or anything. 

Regular mobility work would help rather than just stretching, you’re engaging the muscles through a full range of motion which is more beneficial than just stretching. You can do it a few times a week and should be able to find plenty of content on YouTube. Other thing to consider is progressively increasing your distance in an appropriate manner. I’ve been running for the past 5 or so years and after I’ve had some time away I’ll literally jump in with a 2k just to get my body used to it again, then a 4k then a 5k etc. To get back to 10k I’ll usually do a similar progression pattern to 10k. It’s probably a bit over the top but it’s stopped me ever picking up any injuries or negative after effects, plus it’s helped mentally when I have to go further than I ideally want to!

• Like 1

I literally have to stretch my glutes and hammies every day. When my back went, the physio attributed it to this. Said it’s becoming increasingly common problem. They are saying it’s because we sit at desks for such a long period of time at work. 

Eventually as mentioned here I took up weight training to help with my core and it’s been the best decision I’ve made for my back and for my running. Last night I had so much power in my legs; I was whacking our fast K’s over the first half without really affecting my breathing 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed 24:39 a couple of weeks back - and felt like there was more to give. 

Had a good run of form recently. Did 19k/12 miles at 5:17/km pace - which would have completely hammered my half PB. It was a new 15k and 10 miles record. 

Done some tough 10 milers recently with hills - it’s good training but the legs keep dying at 8 to 9 miles. 

Northampton Half in ten days. Provided the heat isn’t still here, I’m confident of hitting my PB target of reaching 1:53. If the heat stays, it’s anybody’s guess if I can do itZ 

Edited by CosbehFox

• 2 weeks later...

Ran 1:53:53 - on a course which was probably the hardest I’ve raced. Four significant hills. A set of steps at Sixfields. A hill finish over the last two miles which really slowed me down.

Still a massive personal best again. That’s 84 seconds shaved off. Came over the line feeling puffed out as I needed a sprint finish to get at the 1:53. 

Good job I did lots of hills training recently as that was needed today. Was feeling very strong at 14k and still okay at 18k but the legs were going then. 

Anyway off on holiday now. Time to recover in the pool. Cambridge Half next March. Considering trying to nail 30k distance by Christmas 

• Like 3

I've ran daily for 10 years now.

Haven't raced in a few years as kids and life took away the appetite for the really hard sessions but I do still love getting out there every day.

Managed to get down to 15:30 for 5k and 31:50 for 10k, but that was back in 2015...seems a long time ago now. 

I do keep telling myself I'll have another go at my PB's, but it's probably a pipe dream at this point.

I put a lot of effort into running and only really got to the 'above average club runner' level, so the juice probably isn't worth the squeeze anyway!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Ran 1:53:53 - on a course which was probably the hardest I’ve raced. Four significant hills. A set of steps at Sixfields. A hill finish over the last two miles which really slowed me down.

Still a massive personal best again. That’s 84 seconds shaved off. Came over the line feeling puffed out as I needed a sprint finish to get at the 1:53. 

Good job I did lots of hills training recently as that was needed today. Was feeling very strong at 14k and still okay at 18k but the legs were going then. 

Anyway off on holiday now. Time to recover in the pool. Cambridge Half next March. Considering trying to nail 30k distance by Christmas 

Northampton? I thought it was a brilliant course! One of my slowest at 2:14 but it was part of a longer run. 

16 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I dunno mate, 15 mins for a 5k is a bit better than "above average club runner", considering the world record is 12 mins.

Nope.

That time would get you absolutely nowhere regionally, never mind nationally. Be surprised if it would get you in the top 1000 in the annual rankings.

There were quite a few better runners at my own club at the time as well.

48 minutes ago, James_lcfc said:

Nope.

That time would get you absolutely nowhere regionally, never mind nationally. Be surprised if it would get you in the top 1000 in the annual rankings.

There were quite a few better runners at my own club at the time as well.

Disagree a little with you.

Many club mens seniors records will be in the high 14 minutes or 15 minute records.

15 minute 5K will often be a club record.

26 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Disagree a little with you.

Many club mens seniors records will be in the high 14 minutes or 15 minute records.

15 minute 5K will often be a club record.

Possibly.

I guess lots of running clubs will be more geared towards participation rather than competitive racing. 

I just know that a mid 15 minute 5k back when I was serious about racing was pretty inconsequential unless you were interested in 'winning' parkruns every week.

I've just had a look at the rankings for last year out of interest, and the standard is even higher nowadays. Certainly from a depth point of view anyway.

25:38 this evening, bit quicker than it's been for a while.

Still need to knock 1:40 off that to get PB but goal is to do that before Christmas.

Briefly thought I might do Leicester 10k but have decided to bin that off as it's bound to disappoint. Was much fitter only 3 months or so ago

On 18/09/2023 at 10:21, ramboacdc said:

According to the 20 minutes I just managed after a month off, I would be at a 43 minute 5k. 

Just trying to focus on finishing the None2Run programme. Speed can come later. 

Still avereaged this today. I once did manage 5k but it was closer to 50 minutes and I couldn't walk for 3 days after.

2 runs in a week and eating better and I have dropped 3lb. Lowest I have weighed since October 2021. 

I did a 10k yesterday just around where I live and clocked 62 mins. Sounds a lot but I should point out I live in the Peak and it involved a really, really big hill to start. For comparison - my hill mile was just under 12 mins, then my flatter ones were all around 9.45.

Might do some more 10ks and find flat routes.

• Thanks 1

On 18/09/2023 at 17:03, waddadamadda said:

Northampton? I thought it was a brilliant course! One of my slowest at 2:14 but it was part of a longer run. 

Don’t know if we are talking about the same one as they started a new course this year.

the road management before made a lot of people late and there was no postal race number. Had to collect from a hotel. 

There was a whole mighty bottleneck to start the first 3k which really caught people stuck behind others. Borderline dangerous at bridges over canals. One which notably wobbled with the weight, 

The novelty of a set of steps at Sixfields Stadium wasn’t welcome.  Then thankfully the course opened up and it was great, particular around the cricket ground, the park based section which included two inclines was really well supported. 

Final section from Uni of Northampton, Derngate to the finish was an absolute killer but I accept that’s part of it and would say that’s a good challenge. 

Thankfully the start/finish line was temporary for this year only cos it was utter chaos, couldn’t understand why they didn’t have all the collection stuff continuing down the street rather than turning into the small road.

Anyways 24:31 today - getting back to times I was capable of three years ago. 

Going to do another training cycle but aim to run 25k for the first time. Up to 16k, concentrate on quick 10ks and then holding it for as long as possible. Ran twice on holiday and was impressed by my HR staying low ish rather than blowing up with the heat. 

On 22/09/2023 at 11:24, fox_up_north said:

I did a 10k yesterday just around where I live and clocked 62 mins. Sounds a lot but I should point out I live in the Peak and it involved a really, really big hill to start. For comparison - my hill mile was just under 12 mins, then my flatter ones were all around 9.45.

Might do some more 10ks and find flat routes.

You’ll fly on a flatter track - like really quick 

Re flatter routes, when I was really into running and chasing times I would go and run one way along the canal to try for PBs.

The stretch from South Wigston to the KP is well trodden so if you are around this way I’d recommend that. Not so much from SW towards Kirby as I stacked it about every time due to tree routes/obstacles.