Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Re flatter routes, when I was really into running and chasing times I would go and run one way along the canal to try for PBs.

The stretch from South Wigston to the KP is well trodden so if you are around this way I’d recommend that. Not so much from SW towards Kirby as I stacked it about every time due to tree routes/obstacles.

I often go along that route, love it in the summer but bloody dangerous under the bridges if its rained! If I see somebody flapping in the canal from now on I'll assume its you lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I did one in 54:12 this morning on a fairly hilly route and you've always been quicker than me, you'll smash it I reckon

But im fatter, older and uglier now!!!

Thanks though buddy.

x

18 minutes ago, deejdeej said:

I often go along that route, love it in the summer but bloody dangerous under the bridges if its rained! If I see somebody flapping in the canal from now on I'll assume its you lol

On the run where I stacked it twice I did genuinely end up in the reeds on the edge of the canal, so this is possible.

12 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

21.5 miles in a week is pretty good. My most, in a single week of training, was 28 miles. 

That DOES make it sound quite a lot, it's loads more than I'd normally do, probably just 1 x 5 and 1 x 10 in a normal week.

Nothing now until Tuesday at the earliest, let's see if there's any improvement off the back of this or if I'm as crap as ever

On 26/09/2023 at 19:32, CosbehFox said:

Don’t know if we are talking about the same one as they started a new course this year.

the road management before made a lot of people late and there was no postal race number. Had to collect from a hotel. 

There was a whole mighty bottleneck to start the first 3k which really caught people stuck behind others. Borderline dangerous at bridges over canals. One which notably wobbled with the weight, 

The novelty of a set of steps at Sixfields Stadium wasn’t welcome.  Then thankfully the course opened up and it was great, particular around the cricket ground, the park based section which included two inclines was really well supported. 

Final section from Uni of Northampton, Derngate to the finish was an absolute killer but I accept that’s part of it and would say that’s a good challenge. 

Thankfully the start/finish line was temporary for this year only cos it was utter chaos, couldn’t understand why they didn’t have all the collection stuff continuing down the street rather than turning into the small road.

Yeah it was that one. I wasn’t in ‘race’ mode and used it as a training run. Apart from the steps, I thought it was brilliant.

Went to the new parkrun this morning in Ibstock. Really enjoyed it and if you’re a fan of mud you’ll love it over the winter. Was one of my worst 5K times for a long long time but after a 40 mile week last week I’m grateful for these ‘easy’ runs. 

On 30/09/2023 at 13:10, Bellend Sebastian said:

That DOES make it sound quite a lot, it's loads more than I'd normally do, probably just 1 x 5 and 1 x 10 in a normal week.

Nothing now until Tuesday at the earliest, let's see if there's any improvement off the back of this or if I'm as crap as ever

Update: it was an absolute stinker, 26:30

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Anyone got any running shoe recommendations? I have a pair of Hoka Clifton 8s that I initially got for walking/general wear. Looking for something better to run in. 

I'd always say get your gait checked and buy something appropriate to you. What works for one person may not suit the next.

I've only ever had New Balance and Adidas, and shoes from them that compensate for my over-pronation. If I'm honest I can't actually remember what that even means. Flat feet, probably

• 2 weeks later...

Did my last 5k this evening before running my first “competitive” (not sure that’s the right word, organised?) 10k on Sunday. No real time in mind, just wanting to get round and enjoy the day. I’ve really enjoyed the prep for this and have actually come to quite like going out, and I needed to prep as I started running basically from scratch in May. This is the half way point before I attempt the Leeds Half Marathon in May next year, that still feels a long way off though! Excited to get going now. 

• Like 2

I’ve started to run again, as I’m really starting to pick up frequent injuries now I’m over 40 whilst attempting to play football. 

I’ve started C25K again. 

Looking at my fitness now, I’m amazed I got sub 30 minutes only 18 months ago. 

15 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I’m kinda stuck at 27-28min mark. How does one improve 

I really focused on running this last year. Watched loads of youtube videos. Managed to take my 10k time down from 1 hour 20 something to 49.59 in 12 months. Some of the things I learnt from the videos or helped me.

Don't do all your runs at the same speed and don't try and set a PB every time (this used to be me). The experts seem to say 80/20 is a good rule. 80% of your runs should be at an easy pace to build your aerobic base. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, you should be able to breath through your nose throughout. But when you do the 20% you really need to push yourself. And some of it should be hill sprints or interval training. There's also a correlation between the more miles you consistently run a week to how quickly your times come down. Do some strength work if you really start upping miles for injury prevention.

Getting a Garmin watch really helped me. Logged all my runs, kept track of all my PB's. I geeked out a bit over the stats. I'd always thought they were too expensive and money was better spent elsewhere. But it has probably been the biggest help to me. It kept me honest. Shows me my pace during a run; now I don't set off too fast and can stay at a consistent pace.

Cadence (how often your feet hit the ground in a minute). I was getting injuries in my left ankle/calf. Realised I was overstriding and wasting energy. Make sure when you land your leg lands directly under you; not in front. After I quickened my cadence and shortened my stride length my times came down and I stopped getting injuries. 

One exercise which really helped me was kilometer repeats. Run one 1km at your target pace or faster. Then either take a 30 sec to 1 min break, or run the next km (or half km) much slower. Then repeat. Your heart rate gets to recover but your legs and body also get used to pushing harder later in a run. If 5km is your goal, do that for maybe 7kms - or longer if you feel good. If I could only run once a week I would do this 1km on 1km off most weeks.

I'd always got cheap running shoes before. Bought some decent ones and running in these things was so nice. Sort of felt like they were propelling me forward. Look for discounts online.

Some Youtube channels to checkout: The Running Channel, VO2MaxProductions, Stephen Scullion, Ben Parkes, This Messy Happy, Ben is Running. Some of these channels have years of videos full of running advice from 5k to ultramarathons; to running form; to follow along strength routines.

I'll stop now as this is turning into a wall of text. Hope some of this was helpful. Good luck. 

• Like 4