Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I wished I understood fitness a bit more.

Two weeks ago I was moaning because I'd prepared well for the Leicester 10K, but was disappointed to have only got within about 2 minutes of my year old PB.

The following week I was pleased with myself because I ran half a 10K at the pace needed to beat my PB before tailing off, but hey, it's something to build on, and the following weekend (this one) I knock more than a minute off my PB.

Obviously I'm pleased but equally not sure what I've done for this to happen

I think there’s a fair few factors. 
This morning I did my last long run (20 miles) before Brighton. 
I did 18 a few weeks ago much quicker than I did it today. 
Still proud of the achievement but now thinking my target time is out the window. 

maybe I need some Tiramisu 

• Like 1

So many factors really. What you've eaten that day, how you warmed up, how you slept, how you're feeling emotionally. I can have some runs where I'm flying at sub 9 min mile pace and hardly breaking a sweat, to an 11 minute mile slog that's just meant to be an easy run. 

Moving to weights had a huge impact for me. Squatting 80kg+ and doing deadlifts have seen the biggest change. 

I will always promote skipping as a huge help. Keeps your calves tough and to see the difference from starting, where getting gassed after less than a minute to comfortably doing 3-4 minute rounds is a huge improvement for cardio.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2024 at 01:04, Nod.E said:

Done 4 10k runs now and got my time down to just over 56 minutes, improving each time. 

That site has a 'novice' (running for 6 months) at around 54:30 for my age. 

Given that I'm 2 months in, I reckon I'm making decent progress. I don't just do 10ks, I have been mixing it up with shorter runs, sometimes trying to set PBs but mostly just running at a steady pace.

I'm doing an event in 5 weeks this Saturday, my first run at an event. I think that novice time should be a decent target for me.

That runninglevel site has 26:19 as a 'novice' 5k time for a 30 year old and 26:45 for a 35 year old. 

As a 32 year old 2.5 months into running regularly, I'm going to take the 26:29 PB I just set as being at around exactly 'novice' level for my age. 

After all this effort I can finally call myself a novice. It's a proud day, I'd like to thank my parents for raising me, my partner for giving me the motivation to run every day, and my cat for having me chase her around the house when it looks like she's about to sit on something with a dangleberry hanging from her fur. You gave me the foundation level of fitness I needed to achieve this great feat.

But seriously, I'm pretty happy to be at a '6 month runner' level at this point.

Now, back to catching my breath.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 1

One thing to really take into account with those kinds of things is the data is massively skewed by top, top levels.

I have a weights ability "guide" and it says something like a novice 1rep max weighted squat is 90kg. That's 15kg over my actual weight. I can do it but I wouldn't say there's anything "novice" about being able to do some of these exercises.

I always go with the idea that anything under 30 mins for a 5k is good and anything under 26 mins is really good. Try not to get too hung up on ability. 

The important thing is that you're doing well for you. I'm a few years older and started running again at 32. I'm regularly under 28 mins on 5k but I also know I'll soon be hitting the point where my body starts fighting back. 

18 hours ago, Nod.E said:

That runninglevel site has 26:19 as a 'novice' 5k time for a 30 year old and 26:45 for a 35 year old. 

As a 32 year old 2.5 months into running regularly, I'm going to take the 26:29 PB I just set as being at around exactly 'novice' level for my age. 

After all this effort I can finally call myself a novice. It's a proud day, I'd like to thank my parents for raising me, my partner for giving me the motivation to run every day, and my cat for having me chase her around the house when it looks like she's about to sit on something with a dangleberry hanging from her fur. You gave me the foundation level of fitness I needed to achieve this great feat.

But seriously, I'm pretty happy to be at a '6 month runner' level at this point.

Now, back to catching my breath.

According to that site, for one heady moment I'm sitting at the top end of "intermediate". I'll enjoy it while it lasts, which I'm sure it won't.

In fact, there is already a bit of a cloud on the horizon as I'm pretty sure I'm starting to suffer from plantar fasciitis. It's not troubled me before and I'm extremely wary of self diagnosis, but I know other folk that have it and my symptoms are identical to what they've had and I've read about.

Have we talked about this before on here, anybody got any good tips for it?

19 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

According to that site, for one heady moment I'm sitting at the top end of "intermediate". I'll enjoy it while it lasts, which I'm sure it won't.

In fact, there is already a bit of a cloud on the horizon as I'm pretty sure I'm starting to suffer from plantar fasciitis. It's not troubled me before and I'm extremely wary of self diagnosis, but I know other folk that have it and my symptoms are identical to what they've had and I've read about.

Have we talked about this before on here, anybody got any good tips for it?

Apparently signing for Man United will clear it right up :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Wakefield 10k tomorrow, my first race of the year, and the start of a busy few months. I’ve accumulated more KM’s in the build up to this than any other run and then went on a silly 5k at the start of the week in some different trainers and now my shin is in pieces. The aim was to run sub 48 mins with my PB being 47:28, I reckon I’ll be closer to the 49 min mark but here’s hoping.

14 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Wakefield 10k tomorrow, my first race of the year, and the start of a busy few months. I’ve accumulated more KM’s in the build up to this than any other run and then went on a silly 5k at the start of the week in some different trainers and now my shin is in pieces. The aim was to run sub 48 mins with my PB being 47:28, I reckon I’ll be closer to the 49 min mark but here’s hoping.

As predicted a 49:05, not too disappointed would have liked to gone quicker but I had nothing more to give. Right shin is agony so some down time and work in the gym for the next 7 days. Hope anyone else who ran today has gone on well.

• Like 1

I ran Bristol’s Ashton Court park run yesterday. 2.6km of pure climb! 104m elevation and the last section is interesting mix of mud and gravel. Obviously what comes up must come down, so recovered to 25:14 but I wasn’t half regretting it after having a skinful the day before. 

Interested to hear what park runners think of the bunching at the start. I’ve done three events - 300 runners and two with 400 runners. All three felt a bit dangerous to start. I think they need to consider waves which slightly goes against the ethos but it’s needed to avoid a major incident 

• Like 1

Bunching is an absolute PITA. I'm not a "good" runner but I'm regularly in the top third of different runs. My local course starts with a wide path but then goes to a very narrow one, up some very uneven surface. 

You can get people who overestimate their ability and end up jogging to start, where I've done a warm up run and am ready to go.

I'd also ask them to reconsider allowing runners with dogs and prams. Even if they just let them go first or last.

• Like 2

I’ve just always seen bunching as a part of running, as frustrating as it is, it just happens. It’s probably a pretty sh*tty thing for me to confess, but I do go past some in those initial stages and think what on earth were you doing starting this far up, although there’s probably people thinking the same about me lol. I have also ran with the dog but we stay at the back and wait for it to clear a bit, he’s pretty good at sticking to my right side and we always pass people with him on my outside. I get your opinion though I’ve seen some people with dogs who just have no thoughts about anyone else:

8 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I’ve just always seen bunching as a part of running, as frustrating as it is, it just happens. It’s probably a pretty sh*tty thing for me to confess, but I do go past some in those initial stages and think what on earth were you doing starting this far up, although there’s probably people thinking the same about me lol. I have also ran with the dog but we stay at the back and wait for it to clear a bit, he’s pretty good at sticking to my right side and we always pass people with him on my outside. I get your opinion though I’ve seen some people with dogs who just have no thoughts about anyone else:

Same here and that’s just three park runs done. 5k for some is speedy. So I don’t see the harm in just doing waves with a two minute gap 

The bunching I don’t have an issue with on long distance races - in fact you can use it too your advantage (pace setting - markers). 

I can just see an incident occurring where an older person gets barrelled over or similar. 

• Like 1

I don't do parkrun very much any more, because my local parkrun is a fairly large one that starts on a narrow uphill path and it's chokka at the start and for the first 1500m

Loads of people who go near the front, run 700m then start walking, as well as dog runners (thanks for all that mad barking during the announcements), pushchair folk and then there are the people who insist on running alongside their mates for a chat on a narrow path.

The only way I can enjoy a parkrun is to start at the back and try to avoid any intent to make progress past people.

I guess I just don't like people :ph34r:

Recently got back into running now winter has gone and getting up at 6am to do a pre work run doesn't feel like hell on earth in the dark. Got an app called Runna that is helping me with a reintroduction programme. It seems very good as I am already going further than I used to. The plans are good but the only drawback is it costs £15 a month. I am using that as incentive to make sure I get up and bloody use it though. Got one of them free month links if anyone did want to try it. 

Said I beat my 2 mile PB today, but I know there was still walking involved in the session so I hope to smash it again once I am back at being able to run constantly for 2 miles. 

• Like 1

On 18/03/2024 at 12:16, Unabomber said:

Managed a sub 25min 5k today which was one of my goals for the year. Very pleased.

I’m so annoyed I’ve since realised my watch timings are wrong and I actually did 25.01 ffs