Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

How fast can you run a 5k?

2 hours ago, Guesty said:

I really focused on running this last year. Watched loads of youtube videos. Managed to take my 10k time down from 1 hour 20 something to 49.59 in 12 months. Some of the things I learnt from the videos or helped me.

Don't do all your runs at the same speed and don't try and set a PB every time (this used to be me). The experts seem to say 80/20 is a good rule. 80% of your runs should be at an easy pace to build your aerobic base. If you don't have a heart rate monitor, you should be able to breath through your nose throughout. But when you do the 20% you really need to push yourself. And some of it should be hill sprints or interval training. There's also a correlation between the more miles you consistently run a week to how quickly your times come down. Do some strength work if you really start upping miles for injury prevention.

Getting a Garmin watch really helped me. Logged all my runs, kept track of all my PB's. I geeked out a bit over the stats. I'd always thought they were too expensive and money was better spent elsewhere. But it has probably been the biggest help to me. It kept me honest. Shows me my pace during a run; now I don't set off too fast and can stay at a consistent pace.

Cadence (how often your feet hit the ground in a minute). I was getting injuries in my left ankle/calf. Realised I was overstriding and wasting energy. Make sure when you land your leg lands directly under you; not in front. After I quickened my cadence and shortened my stride length my times came down and I stopped getting injuries. 

One exercise which really helped me was kilometer repeats. Run one 1km at your target pace or faster. Then either take a 30 sec to 1 min break, or run the next km (or half km) much slower. Then repeat. Your heart rate gets to recover but your legs and body also get used to pushing harder later in a run. If 5km is your goal, do that for maybe 7kms - or longer if you feel good. If I could only run once a week I would do this 1km on 1km off most weeks.

I'd always got cheap running shoes before. Bought some decent ones and running in these things was so nice. Sort of felt like they were propelling me forward. Look for discounts online.

Some Youtube channels to checkout: The Running Channel, VO2MaxProductions, Stephen Scullion, Ben Parkes, This Messy Happy, Ben is Running. Some of these channels have years of videos full of running advice from 5k to ultramarathons; to running form; to follow along strength routines.

I'll stop now as this is turning into a wall of text. Hope some of this was helpful. Good luck. 

Nice one thanks for that

Been getting into running over the past month and a half (having previously hated it and mainly being interested in swimming). 

Didn't even get to 5k on my first effort a month and a half ago on 5th September, 4.86km took me 27:12. Admittedly this was in that berserk period where it was still about 28˚C at night, but still...

On Friday I managed 5km in 20:42 in the rain and wind. Setting myself a goal of getting sub 20 mins by the end of November, seem to have found my groove with posture, breathing rhythm, pacing, even what music to listen to etc. When I look at the breakdown of my runs now I start much slower and build which seems to help no end.

• Like 1

Finally got round to acting on some of the very good advice on here and went for a run where I was going to ignore what time I got and would mix up the running.

Did 4 miles including about half a dozen sprints going as fast as I could, and at the end of it my legs felt like jelly (in a good way, if that's possible) which they're not usually.

They're still feeling like they've done some work this morning so hopefully this will have some effect

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody know much about running shoes? I'm about to start running again after a long hiatus. I need to protect my knees as I buggered them both up a bit during my football-playing days so need a maximum cushion shoe. I'll be mainly running on roads but also on footpaths through fields, but won't be doing any serious trail running. I was thinking of getting some Hoka Bondi 8s - has anybody tried them? Alternatives include New Balance Fresh Foam or Brooks Ghost Max...

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Does anybody know much about running shoes? I'm about to start running again after a long hiatus. I need to protect my knees as I buggered them both up a bit during my football-playing days so need a maximum cushion shoe. I'll be mainly running on roads but also on footpaths through fields, but won't be doing any serious trail running. I was thinking of getting some Hoka Bondi 8s - has anybody tried them? Alternatives include New Balance Fresh Foam or Brooks Ghost Max...

Go to a proper running shop and get your gait analysis done, I would.

Having the right support and design of shoe would be at least as important as the actual amount of cushioning, I'd have thought. Getting the shoe that's "right" for you as an individual is such a personal thing that I wouldn't get too hung up on brands because they're all pretty good in my experience and there's enough variation in fit that some will simply fit better than others.

It's not likely to be a cheap exercise the first time but once you've done it, and know what sort of shoe you need, the next time you need some you can just source the same ones (or updated version) from elsewhere and save a few quid

• Like 1

On 18/12/2023 at 12:00, Bellend Sebastian said:

Go to a proper running shop and get your gait analysis done, I would.

Having the right support and design of shoe would be at least as important as the actual amount of cushioning, I'd have thought. Getting the shoe that's "right" for you as an individual is such a personal thing that I wouldn't get too hung up on brands because they're all pretty good in my experience and there's enough variation in fit that some will simply fit better than others.

It's not likely to be a cheap exercise the first time but once you've done it, and know what sort of shoe you need, the next time you need some you can just source the same ones (or updated version) from elsewhere and save a few quid

Sound advice - thank you. I'm trying to curb my natural instinct to just buy a pair and get on with it and instead take the sensible approach that you advise. The inner turmoil is killing me, but I remain resolute. 

I will likely return to this thread for further advice as I resume running over the next few months - eg, 'is it normal to throw up violently after running for three minutes on a gentle incline?', etc.

On 18/12/2023 at 10:36, ClaphamFox said:

I just got my running shoes 'off the peg' from the Nike shop but by all accounts Up & Running will look at your gait and recommend some gear if you're after some input! Quite a few dotted around the country.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Don't really run. Didn't do a single one in 2023. Got back into it a bit this month with a couple of jogs and a 5k to blow the cobwebs off, and today set myself the goal of just completing 10k without stopping, which I've never tried to do before.

Ended up doing it in 1 hour 5 minutes. As a 32 year old non runner I have no idea if this is any good. It probably isn't great, but just pleased with myself that I got out and did it. 

Would be good to just get a gauge of how respectable the time is anyway, even though speed wasn't really the point of doing it. Don't hold back! What would be a 'respectable' time for me to aim for, for my age? Or am I already at a semi respectable level?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Ended up doing it in 1 hour 5 minutes. As a 32 year old non runner I have no idea if this is any good. It probably isn't great, but just pleased with myself that I got out and did it.

Pretty good mate, good effort! The feeling after you finish a run is unrivalled. 

Obvious goal would be to try and get to under 60 mins which is what I’m doing at the minute and I think is probably “above average” but others might say different, but depends what you’re in it for! I’m not that bothered about speed more distance personally but the quicker you do it the sooner you can sit down I suppose! 

Edited by Manini
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Don't really run. Didn't do a single one in 2023. Got back into it a bit this month with a couple of jogs and a 5k to blow the cobwebs off, and today set myself the goal of just completing 10k without stopping, which I've never tried to do before.

Would be good to just get a gauge of how respectable the time is anyway, even though speed wasn't really the point of doing it. Don't hold back! What would be a 'respectable' time for me to aim for, for my age? Or am I already at a semi respectable level?

I think for any "non runner", that's very good, because let's be honest most people cannot run 10k without stopping.

I'm not sure where this site gets its data but as the figure for a "beginner" in your age bracket is about what you did and a good time for an "intermediate" runner in my age range (well old) enis eerily close to my PB, maybe it's a decent guide.

https://runninglevel.com/running-times/10k-times

I'd say that getting to a point where you can run 9 minute miles (so around 55-56 minutes for a 10k) is relatively easy and doesn't take loads of training if you're not in terrible shape. Going beyond this takes a bit more effort.

I'd be careful not to overdo it. Sounds like you've got to 10k pretty quickly, so I'd keep your runs inside this distance for now - building up distance too quickly increases the risk of injury

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I think for any "non runner", that's very good, because let's be honest most people cannot run 10k without stopping.

I'm not sure where this site gets its data but as the figure for a "beginner" in your age bracket is about what you did and a good time for an "intermediate" runner in my age range (well old) enis eerily close to my PB, maybe it's a decent guide.

I'd say that getting to a point where you can run 9 minute miles (so around 55-56 minutes for a 10k) is relatively easy and doesn't take loads of training if you're not in terrible shape. Going beyond this takes a bit more effort.

I'd be careful not to overdo it. Sounds like you've got to 10k pretty quickly, so I'd keep your runs inside this distance for now - building up distance too quickly increases the risk of injury

Thanks for the info!

I think you're right with your point of not overdoing it. I've just had to walk across town for dinner and my knee was killing me lol

I'll leave it a week or two and see if I can shave some time off. Annoyingly where I live it's difficult to find a route without doing some decent elevation. Definitely underestimated the uphill portion of my run!

Edited by Nod.E

10 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I’ve been really into running but now got shin splints. I’m going to rest a few weeks but is there any way to avoid this?

Ugh, horrid. I used to use some compression socks/sleeves which were quite helpful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Massage the heck out of your calves. I know that's not where it hurts but it did really help me

Will do it’s weird I can feel the pain in my shins when I massage the calves. Hopefully it

goes soon so I can get back out there 

7 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I’ve been really into running but now got shin splints. I’m going to rest a few weeks but is there any way to avoid this?

I feel for you, mate. Had shin splints regularly as a kid. Used to play at a pretty high level but constantly battling with shin splints was one of the reasons I jacked it in. You just have to rest up.

22 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I used to use this site for a rowing machine and was smashing 5000m in 22 minutes, absolutely dead on my feet then typing my time and finding out I was in the bottom 2%. Most people who register their times on there will be of a good level, not just your average Joe