Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

Panic this morning.

Put the boost on when I came down, normally within seconds the boiler will kick in.

Started walking upstairs and dud a comedy style lauren and hardy type double take as it didnt.

Just stared at the boiler control which showed the light on for boost  but nothing happened.

Started thinking about the week ahead in the cold, buying oil rads, begging the plumber to come put to sort it.

Anyway looked at the thermostat and  warning battery low showing.

Luckily found the instructions, took off the wall, changed battery and I'm a hero in my mind.

Went upstairs like a don, told the Mrs what an accomplished diy person I am, atleast expecting some sort of sexual reward, but absolutely  nothing. Literally she couldnt give a feck...

Morale of the story, check your battery on the thermostat but dont expect owt from the Mrs as a reward!!!!

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Went upstairs like a don, told the Mrs what an accomplished diy person I am, atleast expecting some sort of sexual reward, but absolutely  nothing. Literally she couldnt give a feck...

Morale of the story, check your battery on the thermostat but dont expect owt from the Mrs as a reward!!!!

Perhaps in your absence she needed the battery and exhausted it on another device, later putting it back hoping you wouldn't notice? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Raj said:

Panic this morning.

Put the boost on when I came down, normally within seconds the boiler will kick in.

Started walking upstairs and dud a comedy style lauren and hardy type double take as it didnt.

Just stared at the boiler control which showed the light on for boost  but nothing happened.

Started thinking about the week ahead in the cold, buying oil rads, begging the plumber to come put to sort it.

Anyway looked at the thermostat and  warning battery low showing.

Luckily found the instructions, took off the wall, changed battery and I'm a hero in my mind.

Unless you take the batteries out of her roger rabbit

• Haha 1

On 15/12/2022 at 21:37, Bellend Sebastian said:

Well the tumble dryer, not satisfied with helping out by only being used very occasionally, has pulled out all the stops and is now f****d. 19 months old. Feeble

Pro tip: if your tumble dryer isn't working and where it is is really, really cold, and it then warms up, check its operation before bringing it inside to enable the engineer to work on it and then finding it now works perfectly

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Pro tip: if your tumble dryer isn't working and where it is is really, really cold, and it then warms up, check its operation before bringing it inside to enable the engineer to work on it and then finding it now works perfectly

What did the engineer say??

15 hours ago, adam said:

Went out for the day on Monday. Forgot to turn the heating off. Cost me 17 quid in gas. Frightening. 

Left heating off today to even it up 😆 

No thermostat to control the temp?

Just glad we were about 600 quid in credit.

Was bracing for it to be bad as obviously it covers the cold spell.

It's mainly gas but the electric has gone up. One of the many downsides of the NHS being on its arse is that my Missus has to work from home a lot as there isn't really space for her and her colleagues at their actual place of work, which means she's in our garden office quite a bit which costs a few quid to keep at a manageable temperature

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

5 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Just glad we were about 600 quid in credit.

Was bracing for it to be bad as obviously it covers the cold spell.

It's mainly gas but the electric has gone up. One of the many downsides of the NHS being on its arse is that my Missus has to work from home a lot as there isn't really space for her and her colleagues at their actual place of work, which means she's in our garden office quite a bit which costs a few quid to keep at a manageable temperature

£400+ for a moth is still LOADS considering what you've said mate.

I'd look at options to heat just the garden office where your mrs works?

Got to be some options to reduce 400 pcm.

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

December's gas/electric bill just come through.

£473.52. Ouch

Very similar to our December bill.

We're electric only but used 1300 kwh this month @35p per kwh = £455 + standing charge.

59 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Very similar to our December bill.

We're electric only but used 1300 kwh this month @35p per kwh = £455 + standing charge.

Ours was up about 50% on November's. Maybe not surprising given November was unseasonably mild and December bloody cold for days on end.

Might turn the thermostat down a bit more and see if I get away with it. Already turned the water temperature down on the boiler, not sure what else can be done

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Ours was up about 50% on November's. Maybe not surprising given November was unseasonably mild and December bloody cold for days on end.

Might turn the thermostat down a bit more and see if I get away with it. Already turned the water temperature down on the boiler, not sure what else can be done

Same here mate. We used 875 kwh in November and 1300 kwh in December so about 50% increase.

I think it's mainly down to us using our electric radiators more this month as it was so cold. Everything else has stayed pretty much the same usage.

I guess the only other thing that can be done is freeze to death, but for the sake of an extra couple of hundred quid a month for a few months of the year, it is what it is...