Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That's the same as mine, how do you get it to show eco 7 usage?

It doesn't show the actual eco 7 amount.

I just said you have to change the time in settings for the rate 2 which is the eco 7 time.

In my case 0030 to 0730. 

Then that enables you in theory to have the right day/ night electricity  amount in total.

Hope that makes more sense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

we and my wife both work from home (mainly, we do 1 day a week in the office)

I've just been downstairs to make lunch and it's 13.5 degrees on the thermostat and it feels like i might as well stand outside. It's bitter. 

it's thoroughly depressing (not in the clinical sense) to live in a house that cold, but we simply couldn't afford to heat the whole house for the entire time that we are working from home. 

We are in a new build, albeit, it's a 3 storey, 5 bed house, so we have to be really picky on which rooms we heat. 

I don't even heat my office during the day, as it's south facing, so by the afternoon it's warmed up alot..... 

what a grim situation everyone is in. 

I'm tempted to get a log burner installed and just have that running all day instead. 

That's tough, mate.

I have an office in the garden, which is currently pretty nippy.

It's too cold for the printer to work :colder:

Printer.jpg.458d1b500038f113ef7f52a83698c4bf.jpg

I bought myself an electric throw, which is great. I can't remember how much it said it was to run it, but certainly way less than a heater. I just wrap myself up in it and do what I need to do!

Good luck, sounds pretty miserable.   

1 hour ago, Milo said:

That's tough, mate.

I have an office in the garden, which is currently pretty nippy.

It's too cold for the printer to work :colder:

Printer.jpg.458d1b500038f113ef7f52a83698c4bf.jpg

I bought myself an electric throw, which is great. I can't remember how much it said it was to run it, but certainly way less than a heater. I just wrap myself up in it and do what I need to do!

Good luck, sounds pretty miserable.   

I bet it's nice in the summer though.

19 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Christ, is it worth going into the office more to warm up? When i was at my old job a few of us did a cost/benefit analysis (can't remember what price we put on being 'warm') to figure out if it was more cost efficient, baring in mind train fare, to go into the office rather than switch the heating on. For some it was. 

for alot of people i'd agree, it probably is better.  As it happens though, I live 55 miles from the office, so a day a week tends to be bearable doing the commute... anything more than that and the costs start to mount up! 

To be fair to work, they are great.  The head of our department sent everyone an Oddie to help out (there's about 130 of us in the department, so no small cost!)

As you can imagine... my wife loves it! lol. 

• Like 1

I've just bought and installed one of these.

https://sonoff.tech/product/diy-smart-switches/pow-elite/

Which now allows me to use the immersion heater to heat my water in the middle of the night, without my mrs having to get up and turn it on Raj, on economy 7, 5.2p per kwh, so i'm no longer using gas to do the same job which i think is pretty costly. I've worked out it takes 30-90 minutes to get a full tank of water to 65 degrees depending on how much was used the previous day. it's a 3 kw immersion  so it costs between 7p and 23p for a days worth (60 gallons) of very hot water.

How many hours have people had their heating on these last few days?

This seems ridiculous, however we're still on a 'cheap' fixed, and working from home all day with a 6 month old. We kept the heating off as much as possible throughout November but ended up with mould round the windowsills! No carpet downstairs doesn't help.

Screenshot_20221215_221431_Hive.jpg

Edited by Buzzard

56 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

This seems ridiculous, however we're still on a 'cheap' fixed, and working from home all day with a 6 month old. We kept the heating off as much as possible throughout November but ended up with mould round the windowsills! No carpet downstairs doesn't help.

Ours has been on between 4 1/2 and 6 hours this week. Yesterday was the highest at 6 hours. 

If it's affordable, especially with a young baby I wouldn't worry. 

I've hardly had my heating off when we've been home for the last few days.

I've been feeling pretty run down this week.

Working outside in these temperatures is horrendous. 

The heating in my van is about as useful as the air con in the summer.

The engine isn't running enough to make a difference. 

Had a tough route today and couldn't feel my hands for the most of it.

I'm making the house like a sauna when I'm home.

On 13/12/2022 at 19:23, Lako42 said:

Tried turning the hot water temp on the boiler down to 40.

Mrs just ran a bath and wasn't happy lol

Tonight:

”I thought you were having a long bath?”

”The water was too cold”

Result!

• Like 1

On 08/12/2022 at 16:58, rachhere said:

Got something weird happening with our boiler. We haven't had any issues at all so far this winter, boiler has always come on as expected. Earlier this week we had our regular service from the usual company and he pointed out that the pressure was really low and we should keep an eye from time to time to see if it needs topping up. A bit of a 'doh' moment from me as I had completely forgotten it was a thing you should do. Anyhow, since then it keeps on dropping down to near zero after a few hours, but at no stage has the boiler seemed like it wasn't working properly - perfectly warm house, etc. I know the obvious is that there is a leak somewhere, but its weird that we haven't had any problems at all in terms of the boiler doing its job. I have just been round all the radiators and can't see sign of any water. We did have a new bathroom radiator installed back in February, which would be an obvious culprit, but it seems fine and I checked the ceiling right underneath it and there's no signs of damp. I will obviously contact them, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

On 08/12/2022 at 18:47, Spudulike said:

That's sounds exactly what ours is doing and it was only installed a few months ago. It's an Ideal Atlantic 35w combi. The Ideal engineer is coming in to check it out under the warranty. The plummer reckons its a faulty pressure valve or something. Before it was going up into the red zone but now drops after the heating goes off to zero with F1 error code. Refilling and it works fine until the heating goes off. No signs of any leaks other than the outside overflow pipe. 

The Ideal engineer has checked over our boiler and has replaced the PVR valve. He seemed confident that was the problem. Should see over the next few days. 

Yours sorted yet @rachhere

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

The Ideal engineer has checked over our boiler and has replaced the PVR valve. He seemed confident that was the problem. Should see over the next few days. 

Yours sorted yet @rachhere

We were convinced it was the valve, but after having the Worcester guy who today who said there was nothing wrong with the boiler, I then discovered a huge puddle of water by the kitchen radiator, so seems we do have a leak after all. It must have been quite a slow leak before as it definitely wasn’t visible previously. I am just glad to have found it though and not need to go ripping up floorboards! Anyhow, boiler is still functional if we top it up and it radiator will be repaired on Monday. Hope yours all works out! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Buzzard said:

That's mad, I thought mine was bad when it was on for four hours a day with a max temp of 19.5 degrees.

Finally consigned this £370 heap of Vaillant junk to the bin. 

D22A8625-E65E-4A56-BE6B-395D6E600A82.thumb.jpeg.ae9a54cf7b7e8ea8fe6d1653d83e194f.jpeg

This is our second winter with patchy or no heating.
Radiators came on for about 40 minutes and then went off and were impossible to get going again for a few hours. I managed a workaround that meant I had to get up every 40 minutes and manually open the valve under the boiler. 
But the house has been cold. 

Vaillant engineers useless - changed the system (twice) then said it was a user/settings issue. Customer service worse. Was kept on hold for 50 minutes before they answered, then asked if I’d tried tuning it on and off. 

I’d strongly advise against getting the Vaillant V-Smart at all costs. 

Anyway, Hive installed this morning and so far so toastily good. 

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Finally consigned this £370 heap of Vaillant junk to the bin. 

D22A8625-E65E-4A56-BE6B-395D6E600A82.thumb.jpeg.ae9a54cf7b7e8ea8fe6d1653d83e194f.jpeg

This is our second winter with patchy or no heating.
Radiators came on for about 40 minutes and then went off and were impossible to get going again for a few hours. I managed a workaround that meant I had to get up every 40 minutes and manually open the valve under the boiler. 
But the house has been cold. 

Vaillant engineers useless - changed the system (twice) then said it was a user/settings issue. Customer service worse. Was kept on hold for 50 minutes before they answered, then asked if I’d tried tuning it on and off. 

I’d strongly advise against getting the Vaillant V-Smart at all costs. 

Anyway, Hive installed this morning and so far so toastily good. 

Fingers crossed. 

I ain’t surprised it doesn’t work. None of the wires are connected.

• Haha 1