Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

I had a nasty bill and a couple more to come before the winter is out…

I brought a thermal curtain to go across the front door and some more smart thermostats as the hallway, stairs and landing as they appear to be the warmest part of the house and account for ~25% of the houses total m2

Beyond that temperatures have gone down on stats and we keep the front room warm with an open fire…. I’m really out of ideas now….

I never used to think about energy bills in my previous more modern house…. All that has changed since moving into an old place… I still love my home, but don’t love the bills!!!

15 hours ago, Izzy said:

Same here mate. We used 875 kwh in November and 1300 kwh in December so about 50% increase.

I think it's mainly down to us using our electric radiators more this month as it was so cold. Everything else has stayed pretty much the same usage.

I guess the only other thing that can be done is freeze to death, but for the sake of an extra couple of hundred quid a month for a few months of the year, it is what it is...

Blimey, are you using the log burner too? 

Is there any sign of the prices coming down in the UK yet?

5 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Blimey, are you using the log burner too? 

Is there any sign of the prices coming down in the UK yet?

Yeah we're using the log burner every evening!

It means we don't need to use the radiator in the lounge/conservatory/hall but we're spending way more on logs than I thought we would :rolleyes:

I've just had an e-mail from E-On to say prices are going UP from Jan 1st from 35.056p (per kWh) to 35.134p.

Hardly worth the extra communication but it's still increasing rather than decreasing. Madness that only a coupe of years ago we were paying 12p per kWh so effectively the price has trebled.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Heating on at 7pm. Cos it's... chilly 

Mrs P saying she's too warm. Turn it down.

It's set to come on at 15 degrees FFS. At 15 degrees you'd put a coat on if you went outside.

I go to bed later than her and she has the bedroom window open!!!!

F*** off with your Menopausal hot sweats. I'm COLD.

Edited by Parafox
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

Heating on, ****ing wimps. 

Did wake up to moisture on the inside of the windows this morning though lol

Yeah, same here. Though the moisture is probably more down to any damp you brought in with you yesterday, which in my case, was a lot!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Parafox said:

Heating on at 7pm. Cos it's... chilly 

Mrs P saying she's too warm. Turn it down.

It's set to come on at 15 degrees FFS. At 15 degrees you'd put a coat on if you went outside.

I go to bed later than her and she has the bedroom window open!!!!

F*** off with your Menopausal hot sweats. I'm COLD.

Tis the opposite in our house. Several times already since before the end of August, I'm sitting with a T shirt on whilst Mrs. FFF complains she's cold. She has even put her dressing gown on over her clothes and curled up on the sofa. She has also lit a fire half a dozen times already.

Our front room is like a bloody furnace sometimes. I made the mistake once of putting a thermometer in our lounge to prove it was hot (27 degrees iirc) but got short shrift. 'I don't care what it shows, I'm cold'

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

First heating operation of the winter tonight. Suspect it'll be kicking in regularly over the next few days. 

Apparently not! It should've done, as it was only 18c this morning, but the stupid @#!%&@ Hive was and remains offline. In theory the Hive system is great, but in reality it's an absolute pain in the Ar$e.

On 30/09/2022 at 11:32, foxy boxing said:

Government advice - if it's cold put extra layers on to stay warm.  :ph34r: while they live in their heated second homes. 

Know this is from last year but have to laugh at government advice during the cost of living crisis like your quote plus not buying branded foods, as if this is a completely new idea people havent thought of let alone lived through, completely out of touch.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Mines on for the last week. Keep mine at 21 degrees which for englanders is too hot. In canada, fook that i need warmth lol.

No it isn't, not in our house, anyway. Last year, due to costs, I negotiated a 20c compromise.

• Like 1