Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

3 hours ago, Big Dave said:

Think were using somewhere around £15-£17 of gas an electric per day now.  And that is cutting down on the heating use.  Luckily we have around £1220 in credit on our account.

Interestingly though the charges on the smart meter display seem to be more than what the British Gas App is saying we have used.  Strange.  Anyone else have this?

You need to get that mo eye into YOUR account not leave it in credit with BG.

Fair enough a couple of hundred in credit over winter, but ask for a refund asap.

By the way your daily G&E amount is insane...what you got a mansion??

Edited by Raj

Electricity

Next Flex

Day rate

42.25 p/kWh

Night rate

13.88 p/kWh

Standing charge

45.86 p/day

(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas

Next Flex

10.24 p/kWh 28.48 p/day

This is what I'm currently on after my previous energy supplier when t1ts up.

I DETEST THE STANDING CHARGES PER DAY...LUDICROUS!!!
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trumpet said:

We’re currently spending about £4 a day in gas and our heating is always on - thermostat set to 19c, so not strictly always on, but keeping the house warm enough. The Hive app shows the boiler kicks in for about 3 hours daily. Does this mean my house is well insulated and my boilers efficient? For what it’s worth I think it’s well insulated and the boilers only two years old, I just think it’s quite a difference in cost compared to some posts in here.

it must be well insulated we have to have the heating at 21c for it to keep the house actually warm

2 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

it must be well insulated we have to have the heating at 21c for it to keep the house actually warm

Would be worth measuring your humidity. You probably already know this but with high humidity it could feel much cooler than it actually is.

• Thanks 1

Could not agree more on the standing charge scam, especially as we have been paying the standing charge for gas for 8 months since we requested it was disconnected. :mad:

44 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Thats exactly what they do. I work in housing.

Newcastle agree is a joke for rent. Especially with how saturated it is.

Do you think its saturated? Small city & student areas are mixed between residents and students, so not convinced. There is a high volume of halls, but not sure about houses.

Bad for rent though, misconception that it is a cheap city. I reckon that rent is higher than many other Northern cities, but hardly surprising with how much money there is in areas like Jesmond. Looking at like £145/150 for a decent gaff in a good location next year.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

2 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Do you think its saturated? Small city & student areas are mixed between residents and students, so not convinced. There is a high volume of halls, but not sure about houses.

Bad for rent though, misconception that it is a cheap city. I reckon that rent is higher than many other Northern cities, but hardly surprising with how much money there is in areas like Jesmond. Looking at like £145/150 for a decent gaff in a good location next year.

Yes there was a big survey done in 2020 by Cushman and Wakefield.

7 minutes ago, Raj said:
Electricity

Next Flex

Day rate

42.25 p/kWh

Night rate

13.88 p/kWh

Standing charge

45.86 p/day

(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas

Next Flex

10.24 p/kWh 28.48 p/day

Mines 51p day and 5.8p eco7, I'm still toying with the idea of a single rate at 33p

46 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Downstairs in the hallway

i only asked because we had no end of problems when it was in the hallway. Something to do with it always clicking on and off because of the inconsistant temperature in a hallway, turning the boiler on and off, so i moved it into the living room and it stays at 19.5 deg which keeps the house warm. 

https://www.bestheating.com/info/where-to-position-a-central-heating-thermostat/

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Mines 51p day and 5.8p eco7, I'm still toying with the idea of a single rate at 33p

I cant change at the moment with eon- they say the tariffs would be alot higher on a single.

We only use dishwasher and washing machine a few times a week at night...do they expect people to wake up at 4am and do the ironing etc...

39 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That’s what we’ve got. Decided to bin eco 7 years ago when we got rid of the old storage heaters. 
We don’t have gas in the village so all electric and seeing as I WFH it makes sense to be on the single rate for us.

2 hours ago, Raj said:
Electricity

Next Flex

Day rate

42.25 p/kWh

Night rate

13.88 p/kWh

Standing charge

45.86 p/day

(All rates inc. VAT)

Gas

Next Flex

10.24 p/kWh 28.48 p/day

This is where the confusion begins for people.  People do not understand the meaning of standing charges and how they relate to the monthly bill as a whole.

I reckon if you asked a bunch of people what would happen to your standing charge if you tried to cut down here and there, they'd be people out there genuinely thinking that this would drop their standing charge too.

Got something weird happening with our boiler. We haven't had any issues at all so far this winter, boiler has always come on as expected. Earlier this week we had our regular service from the usual company and he pointed out that the pressure was really low and we should keep an eye from time to time to see if it needs topping up. A bit of a 'doh' moment from me as I had completely forgotten it was a thing you should do. Anyhow, since then it keeps on dropping down to near zero after a few hours, but at no stage has the boiler seemed like it wasn't working properly - perfectly warm house, etc. I know the obvious is that there is a leak somewhere, but its weird that we haven't had any problems at all in terms of the boiler doing its job. I have just been round all the radiators and can't see sign of any water. We did have a new bathroom radiator installed back in February, which would be an obvious culprit, but it seems fine and I checked the ceiling right underneath it and there's no signs of damp. I will obviously contact them, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

Got something weird happening with our boiler. We haven't had any issues at all so far this winter, boiler has always come on as expected. Earlier this week we had our regular service from the usual company and he pointed out that the pressure was really low and we should keep an eye from time to time to see if it needs topping up. A bit of a 'doh' moment from me as I had completely forgotten it was a thing you should do. Anyhow, since then it keeps on dropping down to near zero after a few hours, but at no stage has the boiler seemed like it wasn't working properly - perfectly warm house, etc. I know the obvious is that there is a leak somewhere, but its weird that we haven't had any problems at all in terms of the boiler doing its job. I have just been round all the radiators and can't see sign of any water. We did have a new bathroom radiator installed back in February, which would be an obvious culprit, but it seems fine and I checked the ceiling right underneath it and there's no signs of damp. I will obviously contact them, but just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

The pressure on our boiler kept dropping last year, this did impact the boiler operating, but the offending leak was the tiniest leak from one of the rads. I was literally wiping every inch and pipe with kitchen towel to find it. Might be worth checking them again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

That's sounds exactly what ours is doing and it was only installed a few months ago. It's an Ideal Atlantic 35w combi. The Ideal engineer is coming in to check it out under the warranty. The plummer reckons its a faulty pressure valve or something. Before it was going up into the red zone but now drops after the heating goes off to zero with F1 error code. Refilling and it works fine until the heating goes off. No signs of any leaks other than the outside overflow pipe. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

If people want to moan about how cold it is, stick bbc 4 on, winter of 1963. No central heating and the river Thames freezing up

I was 9 yrs old that year. My goodness. No central heating, just a coal fire which kept a room warm 

Reminds me of this brilliant MP sketch

• Like 1