Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

9 minutes ago, The Blur said:

I have thought about improving insulation in our house but were worried that it would make our house hotter in the summer which is not ideal as we have a 18 months old and are hoping for additional pitter of feets over next few years.  

Not sure if my worries are valid?   My house have similar temperature loss as yours btw

The insulation helps to stop the house heating up in the summer by insulating against the outside temperatures.

32 minutes ago, kenny said:

The insulation helps to stop the house heating up in the summer by insulating against the outside temperatures.

That is good to know.   I suspect it might be something rather obvious like that- feeling bit stupid now 😄

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, kenny said:

3 hours ago, The Blur said:

That is good to know.   I suspect it might be something rather obvious like that- feeling bit stupid now 😄

I was going to post the above answer but got caught up with something else. And I know that answer because I asked the same question last summer.

It makes sense as soon as you've asked...

When it's hot the loft is much hotter than the house, because the insulation keeps the heat in there. 

Had to start the heating a bit earlier the past 2 nights. A lot cooler by 6pm now. 

• Thanks 1

We put the heating on on Thursday for the first time.

We set it for specific times throughout the day. 

We came home last night after being away most of the day and the house was absolutely baking. Turns out there were some extra settings and times for it to come on. So we checked properly, did a reset on the thermostat and set our own times again. 

Sadly that doesn't seem to have worked and its stayed on all the time :(

It's a Danfoss TP9000. 

Any help would be much appreciated! 

I mentioned loft insulation in another thread. Would like to upgrade but it seems quite hard to find someone who actually knows what they are doing in terms of properly sealing the loft space so that there's adequate ventilation, whilst also no insulating over cables. Plenty of companies out there just difficult to know who to trust. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I’m going to lag the pipes in my garage….  There are a load of exposed pipes everywhere 

anyone had any experience of this stuff ?

https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-thermawrap-spiral-pipe-wrap/p42791

is it any good?

Not for hot water pipes, but used it in the summer to insulate our A/C unit exhaust as it was giving off a lot of heat which was proving counter productive. It didn't do a bad job. Certainly reduced the heat coming off the pipe but had to insulate with a towel too to virtually eliminate all of the heat from escaping. Maybe with several layers it might be more effective but the tape doesn't go that far so be mindful of that. Wouldn't you be better off with the foam conduits you can buy? 

2 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

Not for hot water pipes, but used it in the summer to insulate our A/C unit exhaust as it was giving off a lot of heat which was proving counter productive. It didn't do a bad job. Certainly reduced the heat coming off the pipe but had to insulate with a towel too to virtually eliminate all of the heat from escaping. Maybe with several layers it might be more effective but the tape doesn't go that far so be mindful of that. Wouldn't you be better off with the foam conduits you can buy? 

Thank you

the obvious choice are the foam things…. But, this looked simpler somehow !

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

We came home last night after being away most of the day and the house was absolutely baking. Turns out there were some extra settings and times for it to come on. So we checked properly, did a reset on the thermostat and set our own times again. 

It's a Danfoss TP9000. 

Try doing a reset with the battery in backwards.

We had a similar issue with our timer at our new place, even the boiler engineer couldn't help and no amount of resets worked. Random timing settings remained. We had to replace it in the end.

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

It's a Danfoss TP9000. 

Check to see if you have batteries in the thermostats.... Ours did and the batteries ran out and it left the heating on 24 hours a day before we figured what it was!

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

Check to see if you have batteries in the thermostats.... Ours did and the batteries ran out and it left the heating on 24 hours a day before we figured what it was!

Cheers, will check that. 

It's odd though because some radiators go warm even when the heating is off. We've turned it off because of £££ and it was getting too warm. So some have gone cold which is fine, but some have remained warm/hot :dunno:

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

What does everyone think of how to control the heating ? Is it better to keep it on continuously at a lower temp or at specific times at a higher temperature ? 

I tend to be ok with a slightly colder house but my wife and kids, not so much. 

I've heard recently the former option is better... 

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

What does everyone think of how to control the heating ? Is it better to keep it on continuously at a lower temp or at specific times at a higher temperature ? 

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/energy-saving-myths/

It's debatable but from a cost point of view, as and when is more cost-effective, according to the above article.

• Like 1

Had to beg an elderly relative to accept financial support today to ensure they do not freeze to death this winter. People in this country will die this winter - and the justification for that is not much more than that the corrupt politicians have a vested interest in a corrupt gangster state. 

7 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I installed Tado TRVs throughout the house recently. Brilliant things. I’m only heating the rooms I’m using and set them to 21-22 degrees. Been working well so far and I’ve had heating on every day, even during the day when it gets nippy.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I’m going to lag the pipes in my garage….  There are a load of exposed pipes everywhere 

anyone had any experience of this stuff ?

https://www.toolstation.com/ybs-thermawrap-spiral-pipe-wrap/p42791

is it any good?

Use the foam things, this won’t work for pipes, they are super easy to cut anyway, Toolstation sell them too 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Blimey…. This thread prompted me to to check my usage…. My bills are already £112 a week and it’s not even got cold yet…. Time to turn down the thermostat a little 

That not a bad effort. We’ve had a few days over £25 already!

2 hours ago, iniesta said:

Had to beg an elderly relative to accept financial support today to ensure they do not freeze to death this winter. People in this country will die this winter - and the justification for that is not much more than that the corrupt politicians have a vested interest in a corrupt gangster state. 

The impact of not having adequate heating, particularly on the elderly is significant. And somethings you probably don't realise. It is more than just being cold. 

BBC News - Staying warm: What does an unheated room do to your body?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501

Our heating continues to play up. 

Changed batteries in thermostat. 

Turned off the heating. Hot water is on as normal. 

Came home just now after being out all morning. Majority of radiators are off as expected. Two radiators upstairs have randomly just come on and started to heat up - neither have their own individual thermostat. 

Have no idea what to do! We've reset our thermostats twice as well, and re-done the automated settings to come on once in the morning for an hour and then later in the evening. 

47 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Came home just now after being out all morning. Majority of radiators are off as expected. Two radiators upstairs have randomly just come on and started to heat up - neither have their own individual thermostat. 

Have no idea what to do! We've reset our thermostats twice as well, and re-done the automated settings to come on once in the morning for an hour and then later in the evening. 

Call a plumber, heating costs about a grand a day, £60 call out charge and you’ll have got your money back within a few days 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Have you bled your rads?  Might be an air block somewhere?

If there is air and it is pressurised (combi or sealed system) double check the pressure on the boiler and use the filling coil