Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bellend Sebastian

Have you put your heating on yet?

Have you put your heating on yet?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Well have you?

• No way, man
    • Yes, I have, I can't take this anymore, please don't think ill of me

I live in a new build and have "so far" managed to avoid the heating going on... but the thermostats are now hovering around 17 degrees and that feels bloody cold in our house. 

i'm buggered if i'm going to stay this cold all winter, it's miserable!! My missus has an electric blanket that she sits under at night and we've now got extra throws on the bed to stay warmer at bedtime.... 

What a sorry situation this is for everyone! I really do feel sorry for those people in older properties which won't retain warmth as long or heat up as quickly. the cost will be crippling for some. 

4 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Ha. Mine is 14 degrees. Layers, people!

I'm in an 1800s end terrace. To say it gets cold is an understatement. 

oh i'm with you... i've got jumpers on etc... it's the feeling of the air in the room being cold that gets to me.... even if I myself am warm... typically my hands and feet are ALWAYS freezing!!

I succumbed earlier in the week. Was out with the kids and got drenched in a storm, getting dry wasn't quite enough. 

Gonna be an hour here or there for a bit longer before the proper cold sets in and I get it on the timer. 

Have had it on on the timer this week, thermostat set a bit lower than previous years.

Hadn't realised until today that the smart meter uploads daily data to the provider's website, so I can see EXACTLY what this is costing, and it's about a fiver a day, give or take. Add that to existing gas and electric use and we've got a daily bill of about £8-11.

It's enough, isn't it? Bloody hell

Still haven't put ours on, but we do run a dehumidifier most of the day and (I'm not sure of the actual physics behind it) but it warms the room up by 1-2 degrees to around the 19-20 degC and makes the 'feeling' in the room so much more pleasant. We sit under a warm blanket too. The cost of running the dehumidifier isn't hugely noticeable and we typically use about £3-4 a day of energy, that includes running an electric blanket too for a lovely warm bed.

I'm up in the Dales and our gaff has the EPC rating of an exposed cave. Heating gone on this weekend 5.30am-6.30am and 9pm-10pm to take the chill out but the rest of the time it's just chucking a bit of coal or a log on the stove in the lounge when required.

On 04/11/2022 at 15:44, Greg2607 said:

oh i'm with you... i've got jumpers on etc... it's the feeling of the air in the room being cold that gets to me.... even if I myself am warm... typically my hands and feet are ALWAYS freezing!!

This for me too. The feeling of that chill is uncomfortable. Also coming back to an unheated house and then waiting for the place to warm up having made ourselves wait until 5:30 on the timer. 

Costco had some nice fleece lined tops a couple of weeks ago. I bought one. I need another but I can't afford the fuel to get there.

Put it on mornings and evenings but definitely  more conscious  about the rates.

However when you take into account other spending which people probably do needlessly  I'm not going to have the family get cold and I'll just for a few hundred quid over the year.

Being asthmatic as well I'm not sitting in a house of 17degrees just to save a few quid.

Edited by Raj
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Raj said:

Put it on mornings and evenings but definitely  more conscious  about the rates.

However when you take into account other spending which people probably do needlessly  I'm not going to have the family get cold and I'll just for a few hundred quid over the year.

Being asthmatic as well I'm not sitting in a house of 17degrees just to save a few quid.

Not worth it when it's potentially life threatening.

Our heating is off. OFF. Except for shower times in the morning to take the chill off the bathroom.  It's becoming increasingly difficult to resist.

Blankets and fleeces on in the evening. Wearing socks in bed

Daughter has Reynaud's disease and it's very serious for her when it gets cold.

Edited by Parafox

Without putting the heating/radiator on, how do you dry clothes that have just been washed? With two teenage kids, our washing machine is on pretty much every day.

Unless you've got a tumble dryer (which we don't and they're expensive to run apparently) then we don't have a choice.

It's too wet/damp to hang outside now and they don't dry inside unless on a clothes horse by the radiator.

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Without putting the heating/radiator on, how do you dry clothes that have just been washed? With two teenage kids, our washing machine is on pretty much every day.

Unless you've got a tumble dryer (which we don't and they're expensive to run apparently) then we don't have a choice.

It's too wet/damp to hang outside now and they don't dry inside unless on a clothes horse by the radiator.

Why not dress them in the wet clothes and make them run about until they’re dry? Two birds, one stone.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Interested how people manage this. 7 in our house and constant stream of wet clothes to dry 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Ours is just going on an airer near the radiator. The heating has been coming on for short busts, but even then the last lot took 3 days to dry. I'd say we do 2 - 4 loads per two weeks, so not unmanageable. If you're washing daily, it's not. Have you looked a getting a heated airer?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I used to use a tumble drier, I don't know how people manage without them in the UK. You can get heated clothes airers  although I've no idea how good they are, or how much washing you can fit on them. Lakeland do them, probably other places too

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Ours is just going on an airer near the radiator. The heating has been coming on for short busts, but even then the last lot took 3 days to dry. I'd say we do 2 - 4 loads per two weeks, so not unmanageable. If you're washing daily, it's not. Have you looked a getting a heated airer?

7 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I used to use a tumble drier, I don't know how people manage without them in the UK. You can get heated clothes airers  although I've no idea how good they are, or how much washing you can fit on them. Lakeland do them, probably other places too

I didn’t know a heated airer was even a thing. Thanks, I’ll check them out :thumbup:

12 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I didn’t know a heated airer was even a thing. Thanks, I’ll check them out :thumbup:

Aldi and Lidl often sell them.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/easy-home-heated-airer/p/713313545173201

We don't seem to have an issue drying clothes, we just put them onto the airer. Shirts go straight onto hangers, they dry quickly that way and don't need ironing. I doubt we will ever own a tumble drier.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

I use a dryer, depends how efficient it is, I’ve got a Miele heat pump and it’s about 30p to dry 8kg. Probably costs more to pump the heating up and then the water stays indoors which isn’t ideal. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Highly recommend it, we got ours from Lakeland and it saves us lots

• Thanks 1